Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffsof82

would think antrim u20s lost alot of their last year players to uu and queens

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2022, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Cannon Fodder on January 09, 2022, 07:55:05 PM
U20 team was physically pushed about by the more mature Donegal team. 6 starters yesterday were U18 so a bit on the light side yet for senior hurling. Donegal the better team on a wet Dunsilly pitch.

Remember this is not U20 v U20

This.

A county the size of Antrim really shouldn't be playing lads with three years left this level. Where's all the U19's and U20's that have went through the various development squads?

FWIW Donegal are a handy team full of good big hurlers so playing Antrim U20's in the middle of January on a heavy pitch and beating them isn't a surprise and if anything Antrim U20's could be better off for it.

Thought they done well to score what they did , they will have learnt more than Donegal

NAG1

Only reason the u20s being pressed into action is the number of absentees from the senior squad currently from what I have been told.

podge

Quote from: johnnycool on January 10, 2022, 09:36:46 AM
Quote from: Cannon Fodder on January 09, 2022, 07:55:05 PM
U20 team was physically pushed about by the more mature Donegal team. 6 starters yesterday were U18 so a bit on the light side yet for senior hurling. Donegal the better team on a wet Dunsilly pitch.

Remember this is not U20 v U20

This.

A county the size of Antrim really shouldn't be playing lads with three years left this level. Where's all the U19's and U20's that have went through the various development squads?

FWIW Donegal are a handy team full of good big hurlers so playing Antrim U20's in the middle of January on a heavy pitch and beating them isn't a surprise and if anything Antrim U20's could be better off for it.

Same thought struck me. Some of these guys are way too light for this. In fairness it may be that a lot of the u20s are elsewhere due to combination of the antrim senior squad being light (don't think any of the Dunloy lads started yesterday) and perhaps others playing for UU or QUB.  It may also be general apathy towards this age group.

Hoof Hearted

Sambo on laochra gael tonight at 9.30
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

paddyjohn

I feel a Brendan Crossan special coming on.

JimStynes

Quote from: paddyjohn on January 13, 2022, 10:55:37 PM
I feel a Brendan Crossan special coming on.

Lol cert

Who is Antrim's best ever hurler?

imtommygunn

My da says Eddie Donnelly. Hard to say. Mckillen, o'kane, sambo and boys like that great too.

Oh yeah McManus I am sure up there too.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NAG1

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2022, 07:44:03 AM
My da says Eddie Donnelly. Hard to say. Mckillen, o'kane, sambo and boys like that great too.

I would say if we were compiling a top ten of Antrim hurlers (club or county) over the years Sambo would struggle to make the top ten.

Biggest profiles do not always match up to the best hurlers.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 14, 2022, 07:44:03 AM

Cloot for me, Leonard McKeegan not far behind. Neither courted publicity like Sambo though so I would say Leonard McKeegan for example would be almost unknown in the south
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

James McNaughton up there too. Yes Cloot as well.

bannside

Most valuable players to the county in their generations - Eddie Donnelly, Ciaran Barr, Neil Mc Manus.

Olcan was everyone's favourite - so classy, so modest, and of course Paul McKillen too. Would have to say that would be my top 5.

Best club line of all time...
James Sambo and Leonard.
imo...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on January 14, 2022, 08:48:28 AM
Most valuable players to the county in their generations - Eddie Donnelly, Ciaran Barr, Neil Mc Manus.

Olcan was everyone's favourite - so classy, so modest, and of course Paul McKillen too. Would have to say that would be my top 5.

Best club line of all time...
James Sambo and Leonard.
imo...

Olcan for me, probably because of that period, but also as a player he never had any airs and graces, unmarkable as a player, we tried double teaming him in games but he was like a magician, Eddie up there also, was lucky in the early days that Eddie trained with us on a Thursday night in Belfast, he was well into his 40's Id say but the speed and coordination was something else, so he's a close second
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Barr first all star and was a good one. Some strength in him. Dessie Donnelly not too shabby either.

I saw a comment on it on facebook which i thought was fair. Nelson was fantastic and deserves immense credit but they probably should have mentioned Sean McGuinness too as he laid a very good platform.