Drink Driving

Started by Boycey, October 27, 2015, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Anyone here have any driving offences? I'm just wondering as there seems to be a disparity between women and men getting away with things.

Purely anecdotal but I know several females who have got away with serious enough offences that men would surely get points for. An example a girl I know, was caught speeding (80 mph) while restricted and got off with a warning, likewise another girl doing a similar speed in a 60 zone got of scot free. I know of a story where a girl even got away with drink driving but I'm sceptical on that one. I know there's no way of ever proving or disproving this but it just seems to be a common theme

deiseach

Quote from: general_lee on November 27, 2015, 09:00:41 AM
Anyone here have any driving offences? I'm just wondering as there seems to be a disparity between women and men getting away with things.

Purely anecdotal but I know several females who have got away with serious enough offences that men would surely get points for. An example a girl I know, was caught speeding (80 mph) while restricted and got off with a warning, likewise another girl doing a similar speed in a 60 zone got of scot free. I know of a story where a girl even got away with drink driving but I'm sceptical on that one. I know there's no way of ever proving or disproving this but it just seems to be a common theme

Tubberman

Drink Driving poster from 1972  ;D

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

laoislad

This is very hard to watch. My heart goes out to that family.Hopefully it will stop someone from doing similar.
https://youtu.be/dtyOq5ATw18
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dabh

Saffrongael

Quote from: Dabh on May 10, 2023, 02:18:33 PM
https://www.radiokerry.ie/news/former-kerry-footballer-banned-from-driving-for-three-years-after-drink-driving-conviction-affirmed-330269

'issue with the breathalyser apparatus at the station'
'requested to make a call to a retired Garda Sergeant'

Aye just the 6 times over the limit  ???
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

joemamas

6 times over.
If accurate, thankfully nobody was hurt or worse.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: joemamas on May 10, 2023, 02:41:26 PM
6 times over.

Indeed. Just clicked on the link in the previous post - from 2016 but definitely a hard watch

Reading that, don't think there are any questions to the accuracy of the result, given a urine sample is more accurate than a breath sample.

The appeal seems to be trying to get this thrown out on a technicality. It appears legal advice at the time wouldn't have changed the fact that the driver was over the limit, and was obliged to submit to a sample, so why not take your medicine and thank your lucky stars it's a drink driving conviction and not a cause serious harm while under the influence, or worse.
Hasta la victoria siempre

David McKeown

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 11, 2023, 02:57:36 AM
Quote from: joemamas on May 10, 2023, 02:41:26 PM
6 times over.

Indeed. Just clicked on the link in the previous post - from 2016 but definitely a hard watch

Reading that, don't think there are any questions to the accuracy of the result, given a urine sample is more accurate than a breath sample.

The appeal seems to be trying to get this thrown out on a technicality. It appears legal advice at the time wouldn't have changed the fact that the driver was over the limit, and was obliged to submit to a sample, so why not take your medicine and thank your lucky stars it's a drink driving conviction and not a cause serious harm while under the influence, or worse.

In the North the law is you are only entitled to legal advice if the solicitor is readily available and it will therefore not delay the taking of the specimen. In practice however it's very difficult to get a charge dismissed on this technicality.

Almost interestingly though this is one of the very few areas of law where defendants do not have a right to silence. So it is imperative that proper procedures are correctly following. In 2021 a case in England even went so far as to allow illegally obtained specimens to form the basis of convictions.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

snoopdog

How many pints would have you 6 times over the limit. I thought the limit was 1 pint. So 6 pints??

Armagh18

Quote from: snoopdog on May 11, 2023, 08:54:29 AM
How many pints would have you 6 times over the limit. I thought the limit was 1 pint. So 6 pints??
Does it work like that? Think it depends from person to person. If he's only had 6 pints then the headline is shockingly dramatic.

quit yo jibbajabba

Dont think it works like that but undoubtedly someone who knows will be along shortly 😃

tintin25

Sickens me the lengths people will go to try and worm their way out of these things. 

Pub Bore

"The current drink-driving limit is a BAC of 50mg. This means 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. For professional, learner and novice drivers the limit is a BAC of 20mg. Most people will have a BAC of 20 to 50mg after 1 standard drink."

From the HSE website.  No one should be driving after 6 alcoholic drinks.

Dabh

Quote from: Pub Bore on May 11, 2023, 09:20:19 AM
"The current drink-driving limit is a BAC of 50mg. This means 50 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. For professional, learner and novice drivers the limit is a BAC of 20mg. Most people will have a BAC of 20 to 50mg after 1 standard drink."

From the HSE website.  No one should be driving after 6 alcoholic drinks.

according to Drinkaware.ie the limits for a blood test and a urine test are slightly different
it 67 milligrammes of alcohol per 100ml of urine  

This was urine sample of 414mg of alcohol per 100ml .. so a rough calculation is just over 3 pints would get you there .. not quite 'an enormous amount of alcohol' as the article states.. but i'm sure time & body size etc all affect this.

No one should be driving after half a pint if they want to stay within the law