Why do the Brits not give up the north of Ireland

Started by Hereiam, November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 11:56:44 AM
isn't it currently part of their constitution?
politically there are votes there that could assist in forming a government in a tight election (as was the case at times in in 70's/80's/90's - and the unionist vote was garnered - before sf were winning seats)

its very hard to offload an area unless there is willingness and ability in another (host) country to offload it too!

Yes and no.  Unlike, for example, the Republic of Ireland, the UK has no single codified document entitled 'the constitution', therefore, the constitution is all the disperate laws which concern the governance of the UK.  As those laws have to refer to electoral procedure (amongst other things) in NI, then the UK's governance of NI is in the constitution.  But that means it's easy to take out of the constitution, as only those laws which affect NI are removed, and the UK of GB (*some of us are hoping for a second chance to end that anomaly*) carries on as before.

The local parties in NI probably have less Westminster relevance following the recent coalition between 2 mainstream parties.

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2014, 08:37:12 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 01:11:39 PM
Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.

I obviously don't know you but if, like mine, your family is hundreds of years in Mayo, you may find that before the 1600s & 1700s many of them were in Ulster.

Yeah, what you say is true. My ancestor(s) came to Mayo in the 1700's from Antrim and settled just west of Castlebar. Look i was not being derogatory to the people of the North. Far from it. I was just saying that (I think) the hardship, environment, rules, etc would naturally mean both communities have allot more in common.  I was not saying either community was less Scotch Protestant or Irish, Just that they have more in common than they think!

This is looking from a distance for most of my Lifetime and I would in no way tell anyone who are what they are. They know who they are themselves!

seafoid

Northern Ireland has spent the guts of 100 years now an entity of it's own. No matter how much each one tries to deny it Loyalists and Republicans are more alike than there Scottish and Southern cousins respectively. The struggle on both sides has made them almost indistinguishable.

I obviously don't know you but if, like mine, your family is hundreds of years in Mayo, you may find that before the 1600s & 1700s many of them were in Ulster.
What names in Mayo would indicate the family came from Ulster during the 16/1700s ?

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on November 13, 2014, 09:35:50 PM

What names in Mayo would indicate the family came from Ulster during the 16/1700s ?

Anything associated with the Donegal O'Donnell Clan for starters. Gallagher, Sweeney, Clery (Clarke) Dever, McGinley, McGinty, Cafferkey, Cattigan, Scanlon, Patten, Padden, Corrigan, Cattigan, McLaughlin etc. Then there were the Doherty and their offshoot the Munnellys, Cooneys, Doogans, Duggan, Kilbane, McManamon (?), McCann and so on.

Some light reading on the subject:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DNA-R1B1C7/2007-06/1181100681
http://www.drumgallaghns.com/ballycroy.html
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on November 13, 2014, 09:45:44 PM

Anything associated with the Donegal O'Donnell Clan for starters. Gallagher, Sweeney, Clery (Clarke) Dever, McGinley, McGinty, Cafferkey, Cattigan, Scanlon, Patten, Padden, Corrigan, Cattigan, McLaughlin etc. Then there were the Doherty and their offshoot the Munnellys, Cooneys, Doogans, Duggan, Kilbane, McManamon (?), McCann and so on.

An informative read.........

North Mayo Historical Journal

Vol. II, No. 3, 1989-90

Migration from Ulster to County Mayo
in
1795-'96
By
Cardinal Tomas O'Fiaich.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on November 13, 2014, 09:19:43 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 13, 2014, 11:56:44 AM
isn't it currently part of their constitution?
politically there are votes there that could assist in forming a government in a tight election (as was the case at times in in 70's/80's/90's - and the unionist vote was garnered - before sf were winning seats)

its very hard to offload an area unless there is willingness and ability in another (host) country to offload it too!

Yes and no.  Unlike, for example, the Republic of Ireland, the UK has no single codified document entitled 'the constitution', therefore, the constitution is all the disperate laws which concern the governance of the UK.  As those laws have to refer to electoral procedure (amongst other things) in NI, then the UK's governance of NI is in the constitution.  But that means it's easy to take out of the constitution, as only those laws which affect NI are removed, and the UK of GB (*some of us are hoping for a second chance to end that anomaly*) carries on as before.

The local parties in NI probably have less Westminster relevance following the recent coalition between 2 mainstream parties.
Even if not documented, the precedent of paying welfare, funding governmental ,civil service and associated bodies/agencies, overseeing medical, policing, educational etc etc bodies would be effectively contractual - while the British gov could essentially stop all these ( and have everything turn into a lawless Neanderthal quagmire - would anyone notice??) I'd say this won't happen as it just isn't cricket - and the English aren't a bad lot - once they aren't invading or at war with you!

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 13, 2014, 10:07:57 PM

An informative read.........

North Mayo Historical Journal

Vol. II, No. 3, 1989-90

Migration from Ulster to County Mayo
in
1795-'96
By
Cardinal Tomas O'Fiaich.

Nice one. Hadn't seen that before.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

My surname isn't in that list. Must be 100% Connacht. ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 13, 2014, 10:53:41 PM
My surname isn't in that list. Must be 100% Connacht. ;D

100% on your fathers side is all that proves! ;)

seafoid

GRMA

I think the McManamons are related to the Mannions and the Mongans and were there before that 17th century clearance sale.
I read a review of this book one time on Aer Lingus and I found it recently . There was a mention about Belgian celtic tribes that was very interesting.There are loads of Mannions down our way.

http://www.celticcafe.com/archive/Books/mongan/index.htm
The Menapii are the only known Celtic tribe specifically named on Ptolemy's 150 A.D. map of Ireland, where they located their first trading colony -- Menapia -- on the Leinster coast circa 216 .D. They later settled around Lough Erne, becoming known as the Fir Manach, and giving their name to Fermanagh and Monaghan.
Mongan mac Fiachna, a 7th-century King of Ulster, is the protagonist of several legends linking him with Manannan mac Lir. They spread across Ireland, evolving into historic Irish (also Scottish and Manx) clans whose descendants are found worldwide today:
Mooney - Meaney - Meeny - McWeeney - Monaghan - Monahan - Mannion - Manning - Mongan - Mangan - Minogue - Minnock - Mannix - Manahan - Mongey - Mongavin - McMannion - McMenamin - McMonagle - Marannan - Murnane

And Duggan is a Connacht name as well

http://www.oocities.org/wfhasweb/duggan_history.html

According to the "Book of Lecan", compiled in 1418 by Giolla Íosa Mac Firbish, the Sogain (of whom the Ó Dubhagáins were part), were descended from Sodain who was son of Fiacha Araidh, King of Ulster, about 240 A.D

I think the Sodain were one of those Belgian tribes originally . There are a few places in East Galway named after them.

deiseach

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 13, 2014, 06:31:35 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2014, 11:09:38 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on November 13, 2014, 10:52:50 AM
As the title suggests why do people think the British establishment hold on to the rights of the north when economically it has no real value to them.
Have you heard of the Good Friday Agreement?

The British imposed negotiated the Good Friday Agreement. It's the expression of their desire, not the desire itself.

The parties in the north negotiated the Good Friday Agreement and the people of Ireland voted for it.

And if the government of the UK decides to unilaterally pull the plug on it, the people of Ireland will be able to do nothing about it.