Derry v Dublin All Ireland Quarter Final

Started by SuperHans, July 29, 2007, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 09, 2007, 10:14:22 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 10:02:21 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2007, 09:46:44 AM
QuoteI am glad that Dublin have hte approach that if your looking to win the All-Ireland you should look to be the best in your own province first....

What county doesn't try and win their Provincial cship??? It's the easiest route to an All Ireland so obviously most teams try and do this.

I think the point that SF is trying to make is that you would trade your provincial cship to make it into the semi finals of the AI with a chance for the big prize... it would be stupid not to!
But surely that logic could be applied to the championship even before the back door , who won't give up  the smaller prise for a crack at the big one?
I really don't understand that statement Gnevin.  Btw, still waiting for an answer on what NFL division Dublin (a level or probably 2 ahead of Derry)are in.
As for Sligo, I reckon they are happier with the provincial than a semi-final place, but who knows.  For Derry it's not so simple, I honestly believe that winning a provincial means nothing more than a guaranteed quarter final place, as I'm sure do the Dubs at this stage.
look it up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_%28Ireland%29
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Wouldn't be yourself there Gnevin who's contributed to that wikipedia article now, would it?  ;)

Quote# (cur) (last)  13:12, 12 February 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (fixing error) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 22:38, 30 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (undo)
# (cur) (last) 23:50, 26 January 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (removing unneeded code using AWB) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:57, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Division Placings for 2007 Season) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:55, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Previous Winners) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:54, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Previous Winners) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:53, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→History) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:51, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (Fix Image) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:49, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Division Placings for 2006 Season - -->2007) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:43, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (undo)
# (cur) (last) 15:42, 18 January 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (→Previous Winners - adding space) (undo)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

Division Placings for 2008 Season

Division 1

Mayo | Donegal | Laois | Kerry | Derry | Kildare | Tyrone | Galway

Division 2

Armagh | Dublin | Cork | Westmeath | Monaghan | Roscommon | Cavan | Meath

Division 3

Limerick | Fermanagh | Louth | Down | Longford | Leitrim | Wexford | Sligo

Division 4

Antrim | Offaly | Clare | Carlow | London | Tipperary | Waterford | Wicklow

tbrick18

All this talk about which province is better or which team from which province is best is pure nonsense.
Who knows and who cares more to the point.
Put it to bed for once and for all....provincial champs best in province. Trying to compare provinces is pointless. The only thing that kind of gauges this is the railway cup when the best players from each province play each other. But who really cares which province is better? Surely all that matters is where your own county stands in the All-Ireland race? Of course it's important to win the provicinial but the overall goal for any team that does is to win the All-Ireland. Ask Armagh if they would trade all their Ulster titles for another SAM and I bet they would. Same for Dublin, if given the choice of trading their 3 Leinsters in a row for an all-ireland title I bet they would. So boasting about winning provincials is just trying to take attention away from the fact that no all-ireland has followed.

At the end of the day it comes down to who wins a particular match and every team wants to win the all-ireland whether they are provincial champs or not.
Derry v Dublin has the potential to be a classic but only if Derry have their heads straight for the game.
Derry at their best playing Dublin at their best I think there wouldnt be any more than the kick of a ball between the two.

I think Derry can do it, I hope Derry can do it, but I've been to enough football to know to expect only one thing...you never know what will happen on the day. Dublin could stuff us. We could stuff Dublin. It could be a draw. Would any of these result surprise anyone?

So for Saturday I go to the game in hope...and who knows what else will happen.

STREET FIGHTER

well scripted tbrick. a good and fair analysis

Maximus Marillius

QuoteI think Derry can do it, I hope Derry can do it, but I've been to enough football to know to expect only one thing...you never know what will happen on the day. Dublin could stuff us. We could stuff Dublin. It could be a draw. Would any of these result surprise anyone?

Derry will not stuff Dublin...you should know that....when was the last time we stuff a team of decent quality

Gnevin

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2007, 10:21:48 AM
Wouldn't be yourself there Gnevin who's contributed to that wikipedia article now, would it?  ;)

Quote# (cur) (last)  13:12, 12 February 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (fixing error) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 22:38, 30 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (undo)
# (cur) (last) 23:50, 26 January 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (removing unneeded code using AWB) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:57, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Division Placings for 2007 Season) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:55, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Previous Winners) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:54, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Previous Winners) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:53, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→History) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:51, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (Fix Image) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:49, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (→Division Placings for 2006 Season - -->2007) (undo)
# (cur) (last) 17:43, 25 January 2007 Frainc (Talk | contribs) m (undo)
# (cur) (last) 15:42, 18 January 2007 Gnevin (Talk | contribs) (→Previous Winners - adding space) (undo)
Yeah its me , here a list of my crimes :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Gnevin
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2007, 10:23:26 AM

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Division 4

Teams most likely too me in the AI  Semi

Loup Bandit

Really looking forward to the game at this stage. I think Derry's best chances of beating the Dub's lie in the following (may be easier said than done mind you);

1. Good use of the bench; in Eoin Bradley we have a lethal forward option and score-getter. Use him early enough if necessary, no point putting him in with 8 mins to go. Same for big Joe Diver. If Kevin McGuckin does not start he should be a very steadying influence too when called upon.

2. Quick ball into the forwards; Less tipping and going across the pitch, all players should be capable of leaving a good 40 yard kick pass into the forwards.

3. Put the odd high ball in to test the full-back McConnell. He is still relatively unexperienced at this level.

4. Have a kick-out strategy, Gillis should not just hit the ball as far as he can every time to the same area. Too predictable, vary the thing and keep the Dub's guessing. Aim a few towards Muldoon's wing, we saw against Laois how good he is in the air.

5. Derry are renowned for being a big, strong, physical team, let's bring this to the fore. Get the hits in, hard and fair and dont stand back and admire their forwards. We are there on merit and should not be intimidated. if the dub's race into a few points lead early on, dont panic, just slow it down until we settle and let our own football do the talking. Confidence in our own ability is paramount!!

Only a few pointers IMHO. The referee could have a big bearing on how the game pans out too, lets hope he is not overly picky and lets the game flow, as opposed to ticking players at every free and holding things up. This takes away the advantage of a quick free and allows the opposition to get back in numbers.  >:(

May the best team win!  :)

Drumanee 1

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 11:10:45 AM
Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2007, 10:23:26 AM

Division 1

Division 2

Division 3

Division 4

Teams most likely too me in the AI  Semi

and the winner most likely to come from div 1

DUBSFORSAM1

Div 1A/1B were not comparable in quality this year and that is why the split occurred as it has....

Div 1A provided both finalists Donegal/Mayo in the league who both took it more seriously.
Div 1A has provided 1 semi-finalist in Cork and would be expected to provide 2 more in Dublin/Kerry with Div 1B possibly only providing 1 semi-finalist at most....

So obviously teams in Div 1A had a far harder time getting in the top 4 than in 1B....

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on August 08, 2007, 07:38:38 PM
Dublin have 3 provincial titles to  Derrys 0
Dublin have 3 AI 1/4 finals to Derrys 1
Dublin have 1 AI 1/2 final to Derrys 0
Dublin well beat Laois scoring 3-14 and up to the last 5 minutes where 8 points up ,Derry  Score 1-18 and  conceded  2- 11. Dublin had Laois well beat by the 40th minute Derry struggled .
I know folk all back up their own counties but to make statitistical cases for it is really daft imo. There are a couple of folks on here who will pinpoint a result based on their own pure perspective I cant see how this makes sense.
Football is on the day and history means nothing. Clare v Kerry in 1992 (or was it 1993), that whole Meath, Kerry , Galway saga in the late 90's/early 00's when Kerry collapsed v meath who then fell asunder and lost to Galway, or Cork beating Mayo by 30 points in the all Ireland semi final 1993 only to lose the final by two points.

You cant read into the last games and even results between the games. It can help pinpoint in form players or show managers where potential weak points might be, but thats it.
Cork were savaged by Kieran donaghy in last years AI semi final, so this years munster final he was marked out of the game by Canty and Cork imo should have won the match.
This kind of soothsaying is best left to some of those idiotic soccer fans who beleive that their teams success in european cup final is dictated by heavens and written in the stars - if the year ends in a 3, if the monarchy lose a family member, if a cartoon character has a song reach the top of the charts and so on etc etc etc - a load of b*lls.

Whichever team hits form and manages to get going and maintain it will win. Refs have a huge bearing in such big games - lets hope the man is up to it.

Sandy Hill

QuoteRefs have a huge bearing in such big games

Too f><kin true; think Brian White of Wexford!   :'( :'(
"Stercus accidit"

Gnevin

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 09, 2007, 12:36:08 PM
Dublin well beat Laois scoring 3-14 and up to the last 5 minutes where 8 points up ,Derry  Score 1-18 and  conceded  2- 11. Dublin had Laois well beat by the 40th minute Derry struggled .
I know folk all back up their own counties but to make statitistical cases for it is really daft imo. There are a couple of folks on here who will pinpoint a result based on their own pure perspective I cant see how this makes sense.
Football is on the day and history means nothing. Clare v Kerry in 1992 (or was it 1993), that whole Meath, Kerry , Galway saga in the late 90's/early 00's when Kerry collapsed v meath who then fell asunder and lost to Galway, or Cork beating Mayo by 30 points in the all Ireland semi final 1993 only to lose the final by two points.

You cant read into the last games and even results between the games. It can help pinpoint in form players or show managers where potential weak points might be, but thats it.
Cork were savaged by Kieran donaghy in last years AI semi final, so this years munster final he was marked out of the game by Canty and Cork imo should have won the match.
This kind of soothsaying is best left to some of those idiotic soccer fans who beleive that their teams success in european cup final is dictated by heavens and written in the stars - if the year ends in a 3, if the monarchy lose a family member, if a cartoon character has a song reach the top of the charts and so on etc etc etc - a load of b*lls.

Whichever team hits form and manages to get going and maintain it will win. Refs have a huge bearing in such big games - lets hope the man is up to it.

I dont think you can write of form all together while on their day most in the top 16 could pull off a shock ,generally its the form teams the goes forward.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Gnevin on August 09, 2007, 12:50:48 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 09, 2007, 12:36:08 PM

I dont think you can write of form all together while on their day most in the top 16 could pull off a shock ,generally its the form teams the goes forward.
if that were the case then Dublin and Kerry are fecked after long lay offs
but I dont agree with that sentiment

form on the day is the clincher.
All teams and I mean ALL - have at least one bad game a season - for no apparent reason.
If this is identified early on , that the team cant score for peanuts , that they wont catch a ball in midfield (and I dont mean that they are being outclassed by their opponents) , then team formation can be adjusted to cope. Its not easy though.
Id take Dublin playing brilliantly all season, but having that bad day out - this saturday, and for all Derry's carp play v antrim, monaghan, and improvement since - they could still win (by Dublin just not getting going, by Derry hitting complete form for a change before falling flat on their faces next day out - or the ref destroying the game and awarding derry loads of frees as he is a culchie dub hater).
Wont know or be able to tell you until 4.30 sat !
:)