?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Link

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 15, 2023, 08:17:28 PM
I remember about 30 years ago playing against bellaghy in a game we needed to win to stay up, but totally irrelevant to them. They destroyed us. Don't question the integrity of the Wolfe tones. Ever.

Would they have been 1-7 to 0-0 down if league title was on the line? Think we all know the answer.

restorepride

Quote from: Link on July 15, 2023, 08:41:48 PM
I remember about 30 years ago playing against bellaghy in a game we needed to win to stay up, but totally irrelevant to them. They destroyed us. Don't question the integrity of the Wolfe tones. Ever.

Would they have been 1-7 to 0-0 down if league title was on the line? Think we all know the answer.
Was there a big wind, blowing down the Glenshane?

ahyewillyewillyewill

Quote from: Link on July 15, 2023, 07:51:42 PM
Bellaghy, league winners, 10 down and scoreless with about 40 minutes played against a team in a relegation battle. Laughable carry on.

Sporting integrity completely out the window. Middle finger to their neighbours up the road who will most likely beat screen anyway.

Farce from barker and county board.

Sporting integrity is what its all about.  If a team deserves to get beat then so be it.  But this is sport at its worst.

Come on Mal McMullan and Cahir Okane, call this out, just say what you see. 
You're both looking like a pair of BBC journalists when an Israeli sniper takes out a 3 year old Palestinian 'terrorist'..

Champion The Wonder Horse

It was 0-7 to 0-0 at half time, but that's irrelevant.

Bellaghy won the right to do what they want, same way as Galway cost us promotion last year.

I'd also take us to beat bellaghy in the championship.

marty34

Quote from: Red10 on July 15, 2023, 07:49:20 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 15, 2023, 08:04:29 AM
Quote from: Mikhailov on July 15, 2023, 02:22:51 AM
Quote from: restorepride on July 14, 2023, 10:40:47 PM
Quote from: Mikhailov on July 14, 2023, 10:01:56 PM
F**k me lads, what the hell is going on with your senior league. Final round of fixtures not played at the one time? How is that fair? On about fixing results !!!!

Mal McMullan tweeting results during the week but then says one final game still to be played and it features a team in the relegation picture - FFS

Then to put the tin hat on it, every team has a minimum 6 championship fixtures. Holy mother of God.
Who really give a F**k about your league?

Come and be involved in it and you will get your answer - all 16 teams give a fu*k who wins and who is relegated - seriously competitive

Plenty of games anyway. Probably helps the 'smaller clubs' with no county players as they can go at league at full tilt.

Hopefully the south Derry lads give Kerry a good rattle tomorrow.

Ah now you must be reading wee Cahir in the Irish News yesterday. There's a Bremuda triangle in south Derry according to him. Outside of that there is no football and not one decent player exists. The motivation is John Hume and the civil rights movement but.  :o

Wouldn"t read the Irish News that often now, very little actually.  So not sure what Cahir was talking about.

Hard to ignore that 95% of the senior team are from south Derry.  100% of the starting team.  In fairness, that's some achievement for the clubs in that area.  They are, and have been , putting in the work at underage this past 10/15 years and then, via the schools in Maghera and Magherafelt. It's just fact.

Similiar to the minor champions, must be 95% of the starting team from south Derry. Maybe more I'm not sure. Again, a testament to the work going on in the clubs in that area. 

This is what is driving Derry on, the work of the clubs and schools in south Derry.

restorepride

Quote from: marty34 on July 15, 2023, 09:55:42 PM
F**k me lads, what the hell is going on with your senior league. Final round of fixtures not played at the one time? How is that fair? On about fixing results !!!!

Mal McMullan tweeting results during the week but then says one final game still to be played and it features a team in the relegation picture - FFS

Then to put the tin hat on it, every team has a minimum 6 championship fixtures. Holy mother of God.

Come and be involved in it and you will get your answer - all 16 teams give a fu*k who wins and who is relegated - seriously competitive

Plenty of games anyway. Probably helps the 'smaller clubs' with no county players as they can go at league at full tilt.

Ah now you must be reading wee Cahir in the Irish News yesterday. There's a Bremuda triangle in south Derry according to him. Outside of that there is no football and not one decent player exists. The motivation is John Hume and the civil rights movement but.  :o

Wouldn"t read the Irish News that often now, very little actually. So not sure what Cahir was talking about.

Hard to ignore that 95% of the senior team are from south Derry.  100% of the starting team.  In fairness, that's some achievement for the clubs in that area.  They are, and have been , putting in the work at underage this past 10/15 years and then, via the schools in Maghera and Magherafelt. It's just fact.

Similiar to the minor champions, must be 95% of the starting team from south Derry. Maybe more I'm not sure. Again, a testament to the work going on in the clubs in that area. 

This is what is driving Derry on, the work of the clubs and schools in south Derry.
Major error there - great paper. 

JoG2

Wouldn"t read the Irish News that often now, very little actually.  So not sure what Cahir was talking about.

Marty, you haven't named me the 13 South Derry robots yet... I've all night.
Division has served this Island so well up to now, you keep up the sterling work *insert hand clap emoji*

Wildweasel74

Who from North Derry get on?. Am up round achools in the city, and sthing not been coached right. There no way a school like St Patrick's with 30 classrooms worth of children should not be producing footballers like the small south Derry schools. They got the no.'s like alot of schools in the city, so what different in the coaching here and as they move on to the secondary level of education. There's somewhere Derry as a county have room for improvement but I feel these areas need a full time coach to make a difference. Plus schools outside of Magherafelt & Maghera. There scope to improve them. Derry going well in general but there always room to keep building, keep improving, we come a long way from 10yrs ago were we seemed in free fall, especially to the point of Division 4 as little bck as 2019.

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2023, 11:17:36 PM
Who from North Derry get on?. Am up round achools in the city, and sthing not been coached right. There no way a school like St Patrick's with 30 classrooms worth of children should not be producing footballers like the small south Derry schools. They got the no.'s like alot of schools in the city, so what different in the coaching here and as they move on to the secondary level of education. There's somewhere Derry as a county have room for improvement but I feel these areas need a full time coach to make a difference. Plus schools outside of Magherafelt & Maghera. There scope to improve them. Derry going well in general but there always room to keep building, keep improving, we come a long way from 10yrs ago were we seemed in free fall, especially to the point of Division 4 as little bck as 2019.
One city school has 1,500 boys and .........  won a Hogan Cup in 1965. Wonder why?!  They should be winning McLarnon's at least on a regular basis or at least challenging.  If Adrian McGuckian was there ....

Wildweasel74

The problem with that school in question, is over half haven't played fball by the time they reach secondary school. It's too late for most, there not many late starters like, Karl O'Connell. And they still rely on a no. Of their players from outside the city.

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on July 15, 2023, 11:02:31 PM

Marty, you haven't named me the 13 South Derry robots yet... I've all night.
Division has served this Island so well up to now, you keep up the sterling work *insert hand clap emoji*

I'll not be naming players on a message board.

My point is a general point regarding football nowadays.

It's all very robotic.

Did you not watch Monaghan this evening? Great on effort and industry but the Dubs have a bit more quality.

Derry GAA ned more from north Derry and especially Derry City. That's a fact.

Red10

Unfortunately it's a fact that the county is divided. I have been to north Derry clubs who have had players in county set ups in recent years who's attitude is now luke warm to county set ups. Rightly or wrongly they see names and clubs as what determines getting into the county set ups. Yeah the stuff about schools is right. Some are not competing well at any level and they just blame the clubs. The example of our neighbours pulling players from clubs and areas with no strong schools or clubs is where Derry needs to be. They may not be doing well now but in the last 10 years and probably going forward its the right way to go. Derry are pulling from less than half the clubs most of the time and in the long run its probably not a big enough pool of players to keep at the top and win the big prize. The current defensive style of play is based on management not believing the overall quality is  there to play a more open game.

oakleaflad

Would depress you reading in here. County in an AISF, people from all over the county going to support the team and people on here more worried about trying to stir division and saying we're divided. Not what I see in reality thankfully. Best of luck to Derry today!

Link

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 15, 2023, 09:36:16 PM

It was 0-7 to 0-0 at half time, but that's irrelevant.

Bellaghy won the right to do what they want, same way as Galway cost us promotion last year.

I'd also take us to beat bellaghy in the championship.

And if you were as clued in as you let on, you'll know swatragh scored a goal shortly after half time to go 10 up.

So is it don't question integrity or bellaghy won the right? Can't be both.

Blame isn't fully with bellaghy here, county board and fixtures commitment leave a lot to be desired.

Cluborcountywhynotboth

I've said it on here before but the problem is much more complex than south Derry produce good footballers and north Derry don't. Southern clubs make up the majority of the senior league and also the county senior team, that is an irrefutable fact. However the reasons for this are many fold. I can assure you that those clubs in the south don't work any harder than those in the north to produce players, but they do have more success. This is not helped by the county board, you just have to look at their incompetence (some would say bias) in recent years when making sure that league restructures suited traditionally strong teams not going down. You have to look at the selection of development teams, where a decent player from Bellaghy or Ballinderry (just an example not to dig out these clubs) will be kept around the panel whereas a player of similar ability from the north won't. Invariably this leads to those young lads progressing beyond their northern contemporaries when they get to senior. It also leads to apathy. You also have to look at the focus of the county board even in the recent development plan. More coaches in two schools in the south than in the whole of the north. The only focus they have in the north is on one club in the city rather than the whole region. I could go on. There are also other reasons of course like soccer and other sport competing much more in the city and surrounding areas than in their southern counterparts.
The truth is there are better players in the south, fact. That will likely always be the case but we as a county aren't doing enough to rectify this and tap into the potential we have. But the bottom line is a gael in Ardmore is no less than a gael in Slaughtneil, we are all derry and we should be pulling together