Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

galwayman

Howdy again lads. Any advice on where to park in the city centre from about 3pm on Saturday until say 11am Sunday that won't be too expensive?
Our hotel (no parking available) is close to the Quayside centre.
We could park there but not sure of the price.
Cheers

tbrick18

Quote from: lenny on March 13, 2022, 08:43:35 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on March 13, 2022, 08:29:29 PM
I'd say they'll be a good crowd in next Sunday. Really looking forward to this one. We're in a very good position, hopefully do the business next week.

We're in a good position but if we lose on Sunday it's out of our hands. Galway would be up on 12 points and in a position to rest players for their last game v Roscommon. Having said all that it wouldn't be the end of the world for us to have another season in division 2. I'd still like another promotion though.

At the start of the year we'd all have been happy to cement our Div2 status. We've done that and are in with a shout of making it to Div1.
The game against Roscommon is a better guage of where we are at I believe.
We dont have enough of a scoring threat and against the Div1 sides, McGuigan will be snuffed out.
We also struggled in the tackle against Roscommon, which I did find surprising. Roscommon are the best team we've played this year and you could see we started to creak, even though I think we should have won.
The ref was ridiculous.
My worry about going to Div1, is that we'd get hammered in every game and go straight back down followed by the inevitable calls to replace the manager, players not being good enough, county board blah blah blah.
I'd almost prefer another year in Div2 to develop and lets face it, we will have some very stiff competition in Div2 next year regardless of the ups and down across the divisions.
From Div2 we would still be in a good position to challenge Ulster, which I think we can do this year too.
You don't go from Div4 to be AI contenders in 3 seasons so we need to be patient and give the side time to develop.
The notion of Div1 is class, it might be to our detriment though as I think we are at a very delicate point in the development of the side where it could go either way.

screenexile

Quote from: galwayman on March 15, 2022, 01:44:43 PM
Howdy again lads. Any advice on where to park in the city centre from about 3pm on Saturday until say 11am Sunday that won't be too expensive?
Cheers

Are you staying in a hotel??

https://www.cityhotelderry.com/contact/car-parking

JoG2

Quote from: galwayman on March 15, 2022, 01:44:43 PM
Cheers

Victoria Market car park is just opp the City Hotel. From 3pm on Sat it'll cost you about about £2...free after 6.30pm and free on Sunday. You're handy to Waterloo St (Paedars and a good few other bars). Have a goodin

Wildweasel74

We make too much of been in Div 4, maybe need look at how Derry went from Div 1finals 09/10, then bouncing down, cause if I remember the manager line at the time, it's all about championship, (part of the problem.)Bounced up awhile for 2015/16, then fell through the floor. I be of the opinion that the players were within the county, maybe not necessarily playing that we shouldn't been no farther than Div 2. Too many good players jettisoned before their sell by date to put down a marker of their management and that didn't do Derry any favours. And am solely putting that down to Derry stance of always picking in house and not a manager outside the county. They never made a impact elsewhere and I think the majority were selected due to county board money constraints. I suppose we not all like Clare who can have £400k lying in the shop club account. Eamon McGee said a County like Derry should always be plying their trade on Division 1or near it, and was at a lose as to why this wasn't so.

restorepride

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 15, 2022, 06:21:56 PM
We make too much of been in Div 4, maybe need look at how Derry went from Div 1finals 09/10, then bouncing down, cause if I remember the manager line at the time, it's all about championship, (part of the problem.)Bounced up awhile for 2015/16, then fell through the floor. I be of the opinion that the players were within the county, maybe not necessarily playing that we shouldn't been no farther than Div 2. Too many good players jettisoned before their sell by date to put down a marker of their management and that didn't do Derry any favours. And am solely putting that down to Derry stance of always picking in house and not a manager outside the county. They never made a impact elsewhere and I think the majority were selected due to county board money constraints. I suppose we not all like Clare who can have £400k lying in the shop club account. Eamon McGee said a County like Derry should always be plying their trade on Division 1or near it, and was at a lose as to why this wasn't so.
You are entitled to your assessment but Div 4 was real. The players were not there and it took hard bloody work to get back up again and lift morale. We have no right to be in any division unless we earn it. "A county like Derry?" means nothing. If we start deluding ourselves that we were better than we were or that we are better than we are, that is unfounded arrogance for me and a potential pathway back to Div 4.

Man Marker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 15, 2022, 06:21:56 PM

Don't agree with the analysis at all. The emphasis in the league has only genuinely developed in the past 7/8 years. And to illustrate it further, Kerry very seldom took it seriously but realised that with the level of tactics involved in the game now, all the league games were needed for teams to develop this and their ability to implement them. If you didn't you hadn't a change. Derry in the period of 09 onwards had a squad that peaked in 07/08 and the championship needed to be their priority for that period. Mc Guinness further evloved the tactical game and it was around this period of 12/13 the league started to get really serious.

galwayman

Cheers lads. Enjoy the game Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Newbridge Exile

Mal McMullan has it up on Twitter that Shane McGuigan has got  a one game suspension, massive blow for us

imtommygunn

Presumably there will be an appeal?

clubman21

For comments made after the card, unlikely to get that overturned. Clamping down on that since the Galway club reaction to the Connaught Club game

Wildweasel74

Pity they dont fire out suspensions to ref who can't control a game or cope onto defenders trying to get forwards booked.

Champion The Wonder Horse

I'm not one for hyperbole, so I'm not exaggerating when I say that the team of officials at that game should not be allowed back inside a GAA ground ever.

Shocking that anyone thinks Shane mcguigan deserves any sort of suspension.

restorepride

Officials rightly deserve respect but they also have to respect the frustration of those footballers who want to play football and are prevented by foul play. Shane was having one of his best games this year for Derry and trying to get forward to put us into Division 1. Terrible outcome for someone trying to play football.

lenny

Quote from: restorepride on March 16, 2022, 06:28:43 PM
Officials rightly deserve respect but they also have to respect the frustration of those footballers who want to play football and are prevented by foul play. Shane was having one of his best games this year for Derry and trying to get forward to put us into Division 1. Terrible outcome for someone trying to play football.

Unfortunately the justice of his red card is irrelevant and not a defence for verbal abuse of the officials however justified that may have been. I would be very surprised to see a successful appeal.