Unioinists Just Can't Help Themselves

Started by Applesisapples, December 24, 2015, 10:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2015, 01:10:07 PM
The Alliance Party should tick all the boxes of those who want a shared future. But it hit the high water mark many years ago, so it seems that everyone is happy to live with a continuation of 'them and us'.

The Alliance party is a Belfast commuter belt thing, it is largely irrelevant beyond that zone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2015, 10:20:28 AM
Would like to know the full facts about the grant.What were the genuine prospects of a successful application.Still too much assumption that unionists just turn things down because it was for nationalist benefit and vice Versa.Believe me I have seen a lot of projects dreamed up by some egotistical megalomaniac which were all fine in theory,and got through many stages (at substantial cost incurred) of a grant application process only to be rejected at Stage 4 or 5 etc.

Is this project sustainable,how many users will it have,will it be cross community,are there other projects in the Borough that tick all of these boxes?
I would agree on this point. SF think money grows on trees and i'm not sure all of them can count to 10 so I am dubious when they cry sectarianism on everything related to funding. Having said that anything related to the GAA and nationalist areas are going to have a fight on their hands to get "cross - community" support.

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on December 29, 2015, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 29, 2015, 10:20:28 AM
Is this project sustainable,how many users will it have,will it be cross community,are there other projects in the Borough that tick all of these boxes?

I suppose "cross community" is shorthand here for making sure that Prods get the money?
Can you explain your use of "cross community" in the post above?

Gaffer

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2015, 01:10:07 PM
The Alliance Party should tick all the boxes of those who want a shared future. But it hit the high water mark many years ago, so it seems that everyone is happy to live with a continuation of 'them and us'.

By the way, I thought the comment by actor James Nesbitt was as bad as anything that Gregory Campbell would utter. Nesbitt said that "You would always get more action out of them (i.e. Catholic girls) particularly the night before confession"

I conducted a survey on that which lasted about 10 years and found the opposite to be true!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

general_lee

Quote from: smelmoth on December 28, 2015, 12:58:45 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 28, 2015, 12:13:56 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on December 28, 2015, 12:04:48 PM
There is absolutely no doubt that there are councillors in that area who would not want money spent in Dungiven but is it not the case that the costs on this project are now over budget and the money isn't there to fund it?
Did Caral Ní Chuilin not say something about the possibility of funding being applied for? Something tells me if this was a project for Ballymoney there'd be no questions asked..

If you were pointing me to the announcement that the council would block the redevelopment if the gap in the funding was provided from elsewhere then you have forgotten to attach the link
I was asking a question? I haven't read up on this development; other than seeing a brief report on the news. My reading of this was that funding could be applied for. I inquired as to whether this was the case or not. I also made the observation  (valid) that if this was a development for Ballymoney or another Unionist stronghold there'd be a lot less resistance to it going ahead.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: general_lee on December 29, 2015, 05:00:04 PM
There is absolutely no doubt that there are councillors in that area who would not want money spent in Dungiven but is it not the case that the costs on this project are now over budget and the money isn't there to fund it?
Did Caral Ní Chuilin not say something about the possibility of funding being applied for? Something tells me if this was a project for Ballymoney there'd be no questions asked..

If you were pointing me to the announcement that the council would block the redevelopment if the gap in the funding was provided from elsewhere then you have forgotten to attach the link
I was asking a question? I haven't read up on this development; other than seeing a brief report on the news. My reading of this was that funding could be applied for. I inquired as to whether this was the case or not. I also made the observation  (valid) that if this was a development for Ballymoney or another Unionist stronghold there'd be a lot less resistance to it going ahead.
The DUP have put forward an argument that on paper seems reasonable but I don't know the detail of it either. They have said that there is little justification in spending £2.5 million in a village of 2000 people when Limavady is only a few miles away. That much out of the budget in the borough would mean there was nothing else in the pot for another 2 and a half years - according to them. They have also said that a request for £4.5 million in funding for The Joey Dunlop Centre in Ballymoney has been put on ice.

Orior

Earlier today the DUP were confirmed as pointless on the BBC quiz show of the same name.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on December 29, 2015, 07:03:56 PM
Earlier today the DUP were confirmed as pointless on the BBC quiz show of the same name.
So were SF and SDLP.

Mac hinery

http://www.causewaycoastandglens.gov.uk/uploads/minutes/151208_L_D_Committee_Minutes_FINAL.pdf

It's not clear what caused Nicholl to withdraw his proposal but it would appear that the proposal was all but agreed.  The total funding was not required from the Borough as the proposal summary indicates and the shortfall was to come from a landfill communities fund.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Mac hinery on December 29, 2015, 07:12:34 PM
http://www.causewaycoastandglens.gov.uk/uploads/minutes/151208_L_D_Committee_Minutes_FINAL.pdf

It's not clear what caused Nicholl to withdraw his proposal but it would appear that the proposal was all but agreed.  The total funding was not required from the Borough as the proposal summary indicates and the shortfall was to come from a landfill communities fund.
I believe the issue is that it was agreed in principle for the local borough prior to the new super council taking over. They then reviewed all proposed spend on these projects and this one got the gaff.

T Fearon

I am all for local councils adopting a circumspect approach to project spending,given their lack of such circumspection in the past,and a burden on ratepayers

Applesisapples

The Bottom line is, the council spends £400K and it releases £2.5m funding. They don't do that and the repairs to the existing will cost the council £1m estimated.

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 29, 2015, 06:52:00 PM
Quote from: general_lee on December 29, 2015, 05:00:04 PM

The DUP have put forward an argument that on paper seems reasonable but I don't know the detail of it either. They have said that there is little justification in spending £2.5 million in a village of 2000 people when Limavady is only a few miles away. That much out of the budget in the borough would mean there was nothing else in the pot for another 2 and a half years - according to them. They have also said that a request for £4.5 million in funding for The Joey Dunlop Centre in Ballymoney has been put on ice.
I was of the impression that the council didn't necessarily have to spend anything? And that the 400k shortfall could be applied for? Maybe I'm completely wrong and someone can correct me.

Also I don't see why a development that has been planned and tendered for in Dungiven all of a sudden should go to Limavady. Ars Limavady people incapable of travelling the ten minute journey to Dungiven.The old cynic in me would say it's because Dungiven is virtually 100% Catholic and Limavady predominantly Protestant...

Interestingly SF claim the Unionists said they'd support it if the flegs flew 365 days/year on all council buildings. I'm not too cynical about that claim now...

Tony Baloney

It would show how demented these people are if they were to sign off on a project they had no interest in, in exchange for a f**king flag.

The additional 400k was going to come from a landfill fund (whatever that is) so in essence all monies were available.

The comment re. Limavady was not in relation to transfer of funds. They said that Limavady already has a decent leisure centre which could be used by people from Dungiven. Given that it is ~10 miles away it doesn't seem unreasonable. 

general_lee

I wouldn't take the SF claim at face value but then again I wouldn't put it past some of the Unionists re flags.

Regards Limavady, I thought it had a small enough leisure centre? Dungiven itself while no metropolis has its own hinterland granted mainly rural. Under the old district council boundaries, two leisure facilities would probably have been a bit much, but with seemingly getting it for nothing, or possibly getting it for nothing, I can't help thinking the Unionists are  up to their old tricks.