Red/Green Deisel

Started by ck, April 10, 2015, 08:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 13, 2015, 05:32:11 PM
I'd be interested to know if you ever drive over 70 on a motorway? If the answer's no, then fair play. However, if you've crept above the 70 miles per hour zone then there's a certain level of hypocrisy to this. And given the high numbers that I witness above the 70 MPH mark, if you didn't break that speed limit you'd be in a minority.

This isn't valid reasoning. Just because someone occasionally parks on a double yellow line or whatever does not automatically justify every other crime, these have to a looked at in their own right.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

If you drive over 70mph then I can kill my neighbour obviously.

charlieTully

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 13, 2015, 01:55:40 PM
Really?
Charming.

Sorry. no need to reply like I did. The knee capping comment was meant in jest. Clearly didn't come across that way.

trueblue1234

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2015, 05:50:52 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 13, 2015, 05:32:11 PM
I'd be interested to know if you ever drive over 70 on a motorway? If the answer's no, then fair play. However, if you've crept above the 70 miles per hour zone then there's a certain level of hypocrisy to this. And given the high numbers that I witness above the 70 MPH mark, if you didn't break that speed limit you'd be in a minority.

This isn't valid reasoning. Just because someone occasionally parks on a double yellow line or whatever does not automatically justify every other crime, these have to a looked at in their own right.

The problem is your bringing in what you deem appropriate breaking of laws. That's going to mean personal opinion, which is exactly what I was getting at. By the way I'd view speeding as worse than using illegal diesel.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trileacman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 13, 2015, 09:09:39 PM
By the way I'd view speeding as worse than using illegal diesel.

Great point. I speed excessively and frequently and it's a terrible thing to be doing but hard to break the habit. People go on about drink-driving being a horrible thing to do but speeding probably causes more deaths per year than DD.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ck

Quote from: trileacman on April 13, 2015, 10:29:45 PM

Great point. I speed excessively and frequently and it's a terrible thing to be doing but hard to break the habit. People go on about drink-driving being a horrible thing to do but speeding probably causes more deaths per year than DD.

Would very much agree. Some would class a law breaker as a law breaker, others would see a hierarchy. Personally I would sleep better after filling the car with green diesel rather than pick pocketing someone.

I find it hard to understand why someone would get so annoyed by someone breaking a diesel law. Virtually all other laws are worse to break

johnneycool

Quote from: ck on April 16, 2015, 02:13:08 PM

Would very much agree. Some would class a law breaker as a law breaker, others would see a hierarchy. Personally I would sleep better after filling the car with green diesel rather than pick pocketing someone.

I find it hard to understand why someone would get so annoyed by someone breaking a diesel law. Virtually all other laws are worse to break

Do you see using green or red diesel as a victimless crime?

What about washed diesel, is it ok or not?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 13, 2015, 10:18:31 AM
Slightly unrelated but can't be arsed starting a new thread.

What is the deal with driving in south and vice versa; if you commit a driving offence in one jurisdiction but are born rared and living in the other; do you/can you get away with it?

I ask because I read something recently where a guy from Cork got stopped for using his phone while driving in the north. He showed up to court and the judge said he could go free as he had no obligation to be there and the PPS pursuing him would be in breach of international law??? The guy actually refused this offer and made the judge give him the fine and points!

Rebels me hole.

Don't start me,  don't start me!!!!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnneycool on April 16, 2015, 02:20:47 PM

It's not a victimless crime.  If the duty received by the Government from the sale of white diesel was sufficient then they would not have to increase the duty in the annual Budgets.  The more red/green is used the easier it is for the Government to justify placing further onerous taxes on us.  Strange as it may seem but I have never run my car on red even though I have been tempted.  Given the proliferation of dipping bastardos down here it's simply would not be worth the risk as I'm always on the road.  And anyway the level of savings in diesel in the South is so high that it would be pure greed to do otherwise.  I simply take the big yoke to the station and fill her and the 4 jerry cans in 1 run and it would fill the 2 cars in 1 go.  If I compared the price I pay to the price in the local station (albeit owned by money grabbing Down gits :P)  it saves me on average £25 a week for the 2 cars. 

If someone wants to put red in it then run it but it's like everything else actions have consequences so be willing to take them.

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 16, 2015, 03:04:18 PM

It's not a victimless crime.  If the duty received by the Government from the sale of white diesel was sufficient then they would not have to increase the duty in the annual Budgets.  The more red/green is used the easier it is for the Government to justify placing further onerous taxes on us.  Strange as it may seem but I have never run my car on red even though I have been tempted.  Given the proliferation of dipping bastardos down here it's simply would not be worth the risk as I'm always on the road.  And anyway the level of savings in diesel in the South is so high that it would be pure greed to do otherwise.  I simply take the big yoke to the station and fill her and the 4 jerry cans in 1 run and it would fill the 2 cars in 1 go.  If I compared the price I pay to the price in the local station (albeit owned by money grabbing Down gits :P)  it saves me on average £25 a week for the 2 cars. 

If someone wants to put red in it then run it but it's like everything else actions have consequences so be willing to take them.

the way I look at it is if you have a big jeep and another car you've obviously got enough money so won't be worrying about a few quid savings on red/green diesel ;) :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BennyCake

Watched a show recently about the smuggling in Cornwall. Basically the govt put astronomical taxes on many basic items (to pay for armies, wars etc. no change there then) which led to the smuggling becoming a necessity for people to survive.

I constantly hear about waste ending up in rivers, so much taxes the govt loses through laundered diesel etc. so put the price down so that it's not worth taking the risk with dodgy diesel. Everyone buys good diesel, govt gets it's taxes and everyone will have more money to spend. The economy improves and get the country kick started again. But nah, we can't have that. Let's send the dippers out instead. Wankstains.

general_lee

In the grand scheme of things I don't think tax evasion on fuel which is essentially concentrated to a number of border counties in the North and probably a number of isolated cases in Britain is costing the govt that much. Certainly in a region as car-dependent as NI and the amount of tax already on fuel, coupled with absolute shite infrastructure for any town without a Protestant majority I wouldn't blame anyone using red.

rosnarun

if you are aviding Tax for polictial reason then Fair enough . we must all do our bit against the queen
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

brokencrossbar1

£80-90m per annum is the estimated market per annum on illicit fuel in NI. That would give the Government sufficient excuses.

WaterBoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 16, 2015, 03:04:18 PM

So its not right for people to run on the red because the UK Gov miss out on the tax and therefore have to increase the duty....  How much tax are the UK gov getting from the clear diesel you are buying in the south??  :o
Is it legal to fill Jerry cans and bring them up North??
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil