kerry hurling says no to dual players

Started by trasna man, March 16, 2012, 12:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trasna man

Kerry hurling boss John Meyler has dropped three brothers from the panel because they played soccer three days before a national hurling league match.

Liam Boyle succeeded his brother Mikey as Kerry captain this year and youngest brother Pádriaig is seen as one of the best young hurlers in the county.   The Boyles have backboned the Kingdom's significant hurling progress over the last few years.

But Meyler has dropped all three for playing a soccer match three days before Kerry's league clash with Carlow last Sunday.   A fourth brother, Aidan, is still part of the team and has been selected to line out in this week's Division 2A clash with Wicklow.   Meyler's son David plays for Sunderland so an anti-soccer bias is thought not to be the issue.

In his two seasons in charge, Meyler has helped Kerry into hurling's third tier and to finally win the Christy Ring Cup last summer.

"I felt I had to address the situation because if we're to continue moving things on there has to be 100pc commitment from all of our players," Meyler said. "I informed the players involved earlier this week and thanked them for their time with the panel."

mannix

ridiculous, who does he think he is?  its an amateur game with delusions of professionalism. Its not like they were out drinking before a game, kerry are a million miles away from being a serious hurling championship contender and here your man is acting like he has kilkenny in his sights or something.
its kerrys loss in my opinion and best of luck to those lads with whatever sport they choose to play.

Zulu

Do you feelthat weaker counties should hold their players to a lower standard? The problem appears to be the proximity of the soccer game as opposed to the fact they also play another sport. I won't say he is right to do what he did as I don't know the full story but I certainly think he is within his rights and he is sending out the right kind of message.