referees to strike

Started by trasna man, February 28, 2012, 03:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trasna man

Longford GAA referees have voted to go on strike, bringing to a head a major problem facing the GAA as they attempt to bring referees expenses into line with the Revenue's guidelines.

Last Sunday, Wexford referees threatened to withdraw their services until they got an undertaking that current expenses rates would be retained.

The Revenue guidelines suggest referees get match expenses of €13.71 per match, and mileage of 50c per mile.

But in Wexford a referee has been getting €50 for a senior game and €30 for an underage game.

Joe O Brien, the co-ordinator of GAA referees in Longford, speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, said: "Longford is a very small county and most of the referees are centrally based.

"The new regulations are that Longford would have to pay €13.71 subsistence, plus 50c a mile. Now in a case of a lot of referees they wouldn't even reach the €20 mark in Longford for it [refereeing a match].

"That would be half of what they were getting for the last couple of years."

In Longford, the referees' fees come from a central fund, which is financed by all clubs in the county.

O'Brien continued: "How can it be resolved? It can only be resolved by people sitting around a table and ironing out this.

"I was at a meeting in Leinster last Wednesday night and we had a representative from Croke Park down and she said 'This was effective from then', and everyone from last weekend had to carry out the function of the €13.71 plus mileage.

"I have a huge issue with that as it brings the integrity of the referee in question, and that is not a road I would like to see referees having to go down. I think they have high enough standing that they wouldn't go down that road anyway."

RTÉ's Gaelic games correspondent Brian Carthy feels the problem will become a national issue.

He said: "Certainly [it will become national], because two proposals were put to the floor in Longford last night. One was for the referees in Longford to continue refereeing for the moment, but not to take the new proposed payments. It was felt that if the referees took the new fee it would compromise future negotiations.

"That particular proposal got very little support and I imagine the same would apply across the country.

"Whereas the second proposal to withdraw all services immediately was passed by an overwhelming majority. And the point is Longford is a small county, travel expenses would be minimal, and some referees would be out of pocket because of the high cost of petrol.

"It's obviously coming from Revenue as they decide the tax implications. The GAA have had discussions with Revenue and the main proposals are that club referees will get €13.71, civil service rates, 50c a mile.

"Obviously Revenue are looking at all areas to ensure everyone is tax compliant. Yesterday referees in Wexford decided to withdraw their services because of the new match fee proposals. But following consultation with the county chairman it was decided to hold off for the moment, until they got clarification.

"But it would need to be clarified. I'm sure the chairman in any county, let alone in Wexford, they cannot decide that previous arrangements don't apply now, if there's a directive from Revenue through Croke Park.

"Then the other situations, if there's payments to managers. If they're regulated, clearly there's going to be tax implications there.

"Revenue is looking closely at GAA to ensure that everything is above board. No under the counter payments, particularly to managers and all of that."

muppet

This could be the tipping point lads. I'd say Merkel wet herself when she heard.
MWWSI 2017

rrhf

Who will strike next - the committee, the president?

here comes 6

referees should strike if their fees are tampered with

Applesisapples

There is a simple resolution to this, a set fee of €40/£35 with mileage at €0.45/£0.35 per mile and each Provincial Council agrees a figure with tax authorities north and south on an annual settlement paid for by the GAA. Refereeing is an awful lonely job and the way things are going the love of the association is no longer attracting people. I also know that some clubs in Counties that levy a club for not providing a ref are paying ref's a subsidy. This would avoid the need for this.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 01, 2012, 11:55:22 AM
There is a simple resolution to this, a set fee of €40/£35 with mileage at €0.45/£0.35 per mile and each Provincial Council agrees a figure with tax authorities north and south on an annual settlement paid for by the GAA. Refereeing is an awful lonely job and the way things are going the love of the association is no longer attracting people. I also know that some clubs in Counties that levy a club for not providing a ref are paying ref's a subsidy. This would avoid the need for this.

That would do me, I'd be happy with that. would be a good we earner if you were getting 3 games per week
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2012, 12:31:44 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 01, 2012, 11:55:22 AM

That would do me, I'd be happy with that. would be a good we earner if you were getting 3 games per week

On the other hand, anyone in any walk of life should be paying tax at the appropriate rate for any good earner they are lucky enough to have.

Milltown Row2

I'm not self employed, I have always had my tax sorted through work, how much tax would you pay for expenses? Again I'm not up to speed on this thing.

And yes you should be taxed on earnings
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2012, 01:04:53 PM
I'm not self employed, I have always had my tax sorted through work, how much tax would you pay for expenses? Again I'm not up to speed on this thing.

So you would drive, kit out, referee, take an ocean of abuse, shower and drive home for 15euro a match? FFS you'll be the same hoor who comes crying in the summer about shit refs and wonder aloud why don't sane-minded people engage in activity.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

camanchero

simple as this- if refs are going to lose out by paying half this money towards tax- a lot of them if not most of them will stop reffing.
where will we be then !
A lot of counties struggle to get refs as it is !

If the revenue are going to take a cut, then I would suspect and expect that refs will require the game fees to be increased to cover this.
eg the match fees will possibly go up to €65-70 or so euros per game so that the remuneration after tax would equate to €40.

this is most likely what we will HAVE to do !

The GAA and the clubs are going to be the ones to lose out here.
Maybe now is the time to lobby for the 'sports grant' tax break thing - so that our refs and managers can avail of some tax break...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on March 01, 2012, 01:14:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2012, 01:04:53 PM

So you would drive, kit out, referee, take an ocean of abuse, shower and drive home for 15euro a match? FFS you'll be the same hoor who comes crying in the summer about shit refs and wonder aloud why don't sane-minded people engage in activity.

I'm currently doing just that, referee a match get abuse, head home read somewhere how shit i was (here ;D) and then if I'm lucky get £10 and no travel!!! for city games (I live outside the city) and £20 for All County games!!

I might not be bother now and become a manager of some Junior team and get paid £80 quid a session

Hardy

How come there's not a peep from anybody about referees getting paid? Does the rule on amateurism not apply to them?

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with paying officials, except that it's against the rules. But there seem to be glaring inconsistencies in interpretation, application and even commentary on this rule.

camanchero

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2012, 02:35:39 PM
How come there's not a peep from anybody about referees getting paid? Does the rule on amateurism not apply to them?

Just to be clear, I don't have a problem with paying officials, except that it's against the rules. But there seem to be glaring inconsistencies in interpretation, application and even commentary on this rule.
[/quote
you know the answer
sure no one would do it if they didnt get paid. We would be without refs and games wouldnt be played. While we would get players to take free intercounty slots, there would be no backup plan for refs.
At a time when we are putting more and more fixtures on than ever, we need refs and paying them is the only way to entice them into the role. Payment a necesary evil so we dont say a thing about it.

I believe Wexford pay refs €50 per game- though this may be incorrect!

Hardy

Of course I know the answer. That's why I brought it up. We hear managers can't be paid because it's against the rules, but we have to pay refs or we wouldn't have any, even though that's against the rules too. It just points up both the stupidity of the rules and the hypocrisy of attitudes to them.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

Good point.

To make this fair we should make a rule that all payments outside the rules must be the same.
MWWSI 2017