Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

We all would live that but to get to McRory level is a reward for grade A standard consistency  from year 8 and upwards, and usually with a few grade B trophies in the cabinet. Our schools are a fair bit off that atm, but no harm in targeting these first and build some momentum.

Best of luck to our U 20 players and management who are in championship action tonight in Ballybofey. Seen this team a couple of times this year and wouldn't be surprised if we can get a result.

marty34

Has any county a plan - by that I mean a 5/10 year plan or is it a case of make it up as they go?

The top level stuff is a business but I don't see it.

At inter-county level, it just seems short-sighted. A new manager in...for a year or two. Then he gets the boot and another comes in etc. etc. No planning at all, just doodling along feom year to year.

Milltown Row2

What would the playing population (football wise) in Antrim be? Chat on another thread was that you need over 9,000 players to reach senior finals either Ulster or All Ireland level
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NatSoSaff

I wouldn't reckon Monaghan or Fermanagh have near those figures MR2 and both of those Counties have been punching well above their weight in Ulster finals?

realisticsaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 01:01:59 PM
What would the playing population (football wise) in Antrim be? Chat on another thread was that you need over 9,000 players to reach senior finals either Ulster or All Ireland level

Monaghan defeats this point

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 29, 2023, 01:18:02 PM
I wouldn't reckon Monaghan or Fermanagh have near those figures MR2 and both of those Counties have been punching well above their weight in Ulster finals?

They don't hurl to a top level either so they have a concentrated footballing league which never has to worry about distractions..

Like I said, I'm just asking the question as it was brought up on another thread, wouldn't be privy to the actual playing numbers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Just googled there

Monaghan have 5,000 men between ages 20 and 34 playing football it seems

antrimman667

Is there a link for the u20 match tn

imtommygunn

Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2023, 12:23:56 PM
Has any county a plan - by that I mean a 5/10 year plan or is it a case of make it up as they go?

The top level stuff is a business but I don't see it.

At inter-county level, it just seems short-sighted. A new manager in...for a year or two. Then he gets the boot and another comes in etc. etc. No planning at all, just doodling along feom year to year.

The lesser counties - very much ourselves included - fall into this category. Our games are that advanced that you need about 2-3 years to get players to the right level of fitness and conditioning for county. We change manages, and squads, regularly so there is no continuity and then players never get to the required pace.

You see now that Gleeson being in a few years has got us some continuity but the football has been a disaster for changing. We need to stick with someone and if not stick with a core set of players at least.

I imagine following on twitter would be the best you would get antrimman but not sure.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 01:25:18 PM

Just googled there

Big Factor for Antrim is the majority of our players are city based, Monaghan and in fact many other Ulster teams don't have the city factor.
There's just a lot more distractions in a city compared to a town or village much easier for the city players to play other sports etc, in many villages and towns they only have football or hurling.

A prime example of how this hurts Antrim is Matty Fitz, don't begrudge him or anything fair play to the fella i'm just using him as an exmaple of how a city player can be tempted elsewhere   

Saffsof82

Quote from: antrimman667 on March 29, 2023, 01:31:48 PM
Is there a link for the u20 match tn

It's live I see on Ulster Gaa tv

Mhic Easmuint

Just googled there

That figure is about 1800 Male Players (both codes) between 20 and 38 in Antrim

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2023, 01:01:59 PM

Really? Haven't seen the other thread, but that doesn't make sense. The equivalent of 90 clubs with 100 adult players each. Doubt if many counties have that.

The Monaghan figure mentioned above suggests roughly 50 clubs, with 100 adult players.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on March 29, 2023, 02:15:31 PM

Just googled there

That figure is about 1800 Male Players (both codes) between 20 and 38 in Antrim

What is your sources for that?

bannside

Are you still in that age bracket Champ, lol....must be a photo finish!