Derry Hurling

Started by Fear Bun Na Sceilpe, September 18, 2010, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poc me

Well squareball,

One example, the Derry Hurling managers job has been vacant for weeks. Did you know about that? All of a sudden a new manager is named. When Damien Cassidy left the Derrry job no stone was to be unturned to try and get the best man for the job. inerview panels would have been set up and if no one was found they would have headhunted someone. Now you may say that there simply isn't the interest in hurling for this to be reported in the media but I could almost guarantee that the county board didn't do those things for the Hurling job. No advertisement or interview panels would have been held. In fact, i would say that the people who searched for a manager were probably people who are invovled in Hurling rather than the County Board itself. To comment on a previous post as well, the Hurling leagues and c'ships are treated with contempt. It is almost like a 'Footballing Parliament for a Footballing people' and no hurlers need apply!

Hopefully someone like Mickey McCracken can have a positive effect in there.

lynchbhoy

anyone else think that rogan might be a good man at the Derry hurling helm?

One question though is he a money man as I heard in the past?
either way if he gets Derry ticking like the way he supercharged Slaughtneil the other season, I think its a step in the right direction for Derry senior hurling.
These men need paid too so I wont quibble about that aspect!
(thered be no quibbling about it if it were football !!)

Best of luck Rogie !

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Think Ger is good man for the job, but so was James. The problem isnt with ciounty managers but unfortunately with lack of co-operation from dual clubs.
This isnt meant to be a football v hurling comment. But if the dual clubs encouraged hurling a bit more we would be on the up again.
I know a bit about Armagh club hurling and Derry club hurling. Derry club on average is slightly ahead of Armagh, I know Keady beat Lavey though. Armagh county hurling has overtaken Derry. This is because Armagh CB are 100% behind hurling team and i dont think the dual problem is a big factor in Armagh. it is a badge on honour to play hurling for your county in Armagh-not so in Derry

sameoldstorey

lets be realistic. jok mwas never going to make a good manager. different story coaching some college kids. not t oo many made the transition from schools   to adult. imo big adrian was the best coach in ireland at college level but never really made the breakthrough at adult level. 

doodaa

Is Ger Rogan the man to bring life back to Derry hurling?

"You better believe it!" - Quote from Martin Rogan today in West Belfast.....

treborstemme

I wish big Ger all the luck in the world!!! By god, will he need it! In fairness he overcome alot of hurdles in Slaughtneil at the beginning and came through in the end!

On another point, where have the Laveys and Screen underage teams vanished to these days! Always formidable opponents through the years! Only for Kevin Lynches, Slaughtneil struggle to find any formidable competition. Slaughtneil dominated U12s and down, won U14, U16, minors and U21s this year. Last year they won all bar minors and have been winning feile at their leisure. As much as we enjoy winning in Slaughtneil this is a sad state of affairs! What's the problem? Serious question...!!!

Owenbeg

Quote from: treborstemme on January 30, 2011, 04:30:12 AM
I wish big Ger all the luck in the world!!! By god, will he need it! In fairness he overcome alot of hurdles in Slaughtneil at the beginning and came through in the end!

On another point, where have the Laveys and Screen underage teams vanished to these days! Always formidable opponents through the years! Only for Kevin Lynches, Slaughtneil struggle to find any formidable competition. Slaughtneil dominated U12s and down, won U14, U16, minors and U21s this year. Last year they won all bar minors and have been winning feile at their leisure. As much as we enjoy winning in Slaughtneil this is a sad state of affairs! What's the problem? Serious question...!!!

Agree that Slaughtneil are dominating at underage from u14's up, but KL won the U13 at the end of the year and there is the simple matter of the kL u12 beating Slaughtneil 27-11 0-1 in the North Antrim League last year while KL are extremely strong at U10's and U8's so that trend might hopefully start to change. But totally agree that Slaughtneil have been the benchmark for underage hurling in Derry for the last 5 year and the standard of the other underage sides in Derry has been disappointing, KL included. Don't know where the problems are. We organised a U12 15 aside tournament last year and invited all Derry teams with only Slaughtneil taking up the invite. Banaghers seems to be a lack of numbers, Screen seems to have turned a corner- with Conor Murray at the forefront, but dont know where problems lies in the others, perhaps the fact that Slaughneil and KL play in the North Antrim league and are getting 10 more competitive 15 aside games against the Ballycastle, Loughgeils, Cushendalls, Dunloys of this world.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Good result for hurlers today-was anyone at the match to give a short report

drici

Anybody know the scéal?

Mac hinery

Anybody know the scéal?

I'm guessing St Pat's O'Keefe winning squad would probably have most of the Derry minor hurlers on it.

drici

Quote from: Mac hinery on March 30, 2011, 09:25:56 PM

I'm guessing St Pat's O'Keefe winning squad would probably have most of the Derry minor hurlers on it.

Aha.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: drici on March 30, 2011, 09:37:34 PM
Quote from: Mac hinery on March 30, 2011, 09:25:56 PM

Aha.

still hard to believe that Derry didnt put out a taem

robertemmet

Here is an article I have put together about Dublin v Ulster Hurling - http://mal-sport.blogspot.com/2011/08/dublin-hurling-revolution.html

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Very good article Robert Emmett. I am really worried for Derry hurling. In all honesty I think Donegal are catching us now as well. Nobody seems to care. Parochialism gets in the way of overall county development. All clubs need help. But I would be putting massive effort into trying to ensure Castledawson and O Cathans are kept going underage. I would be looking to form another 2 clubs apart from them. I would also try to give Eoghan Ruadh,Na Magha and Banagher an extra push.

robertemmet