Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scamroc

This might have been asked and answered before so apologies if so - what's happening with promotion and relegation in the 4 hurling leagues this year? I heard there's no promotion from Div3 which is harsh on teams playing all year for no prize.

Saffsof82

Quote from: scamroc on April 04, 2023, 03:23:35 PM
This might have been asked and answered before so apologies if so - what's happening with promotion and relegation in the 4 hurling leagues this year? I heard there's no promotion from Div3 which is harsh on teams playing all year for no prize.

Still get your prize for winning the league title, but there was no relegation for 2 years and has to be addressed at some point

NorthAntrim

11 in 1 and 2 and 9 in 3 so will have to be evened out i would think. 2 down 1 up would sort it in div 1-2. then 3 down 1 up 2 to 3. 2 down 1 up 3 to 4 leaves 10 10 10 8

scamroc

Quote from: NorthAntrim on April 04, 2023, 04:11:07 PM
11 in 1 and 2 and 9 in 3 so will have to be evened out i would think. 2 down 1 up would sort it in div 1-2. then 3 down 1 up 2 to 3. 2 down 1 up 3 to 4 leaves 10 10 10 8

Yes but is there still promotion for winning the league in Div 2, 3 and 4? That's really what I'm asking

GAAhead2013

Quote from: realisticsaff on April 03, 2023, 09:58:27 AM
Quote from: GAAhead2013 on March 25, 2023, 07:20:13 AM
Saw an interesting discussion on the football thread re favourite refs.
Always had a preference to those that could let the game go and still maintain control of the game, if that's possible. Was always fond of the refs who'd talk to you with respect too, if they blew a foul, you knew what for an you got on with it (regardless of your manager/supporters being blue in the face!)

Owen Elliot
Skinny
Darren McKeown
Fintan McCotter

Def forgetting some good refs, Any others?

Creating fake accounts to heap praise on yourself. 😂😂😂😂😂

I'm Spartacus! 🫣

johnnycool

Quote from: scamroc on April 04, 2023, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on April 04, 2023, 04:11:07 PM

Yes but is there still promotion for winning the league in Div 2, 3 and 4? That's really what I'm asking

Cushendun were relegated from Div 1 and replaced by Carey.

As second from bottom we were due to play Creggan who were 2nd in Div2 with the winner staying up, they decided to stay put so that game wasn't played.

I'd expect this to be the same for 2023, but who knows with Antrim CB.

Saffrongael

Antrim minors beat by 4 by Laois and finish bottom of their group. Antrim well behind and got it back to level towards the end
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

keep her low this half

Quote from: Saffrongael on April 07, 2023, 03:58:03 PM
Antrim minors beat by 4 by Laois and finish bottom of their group. Antrim well behind and got it back to level towards the end

Antrim under 20s beaten by Westmeath at the weekend also. We are so far off the pace at juvenile level it is embarrassing. Meath up next for the Under 20s, that match could go either way.

SaffronSports

Not sure what the solution is. There's some really good players coming through, the lads coaching them are good and working hard but rather than closing the gap on the top teir we seem to be getting caught up by that next tier down.

keep her low this half

Quote from: SaffronSports on April 10, 2023, 09:26:58 PM
Not sure what the solution is. There's some really good players coming through, the lads coaching them are good and working hard but rather than closing the gap on the top teir we seem to be getting caught up by that next tier down.
I saw Anthony Daly talking about Limerick underage structures a couple of years back. What he basically said was each development squad had 25 players but that each squad at each age group was reviewed on a three monthly basis. Players who were not performing in training and matches were cut and and new players brought in to replace them. He said every juvenile match had a county assessor at it to report on all relevant players performance. ( Plenty of money in Limerick hurling ). This lead to a ruthless driving up of standards in training and matches across the board.
It is my perception of Antrim juvenile structures that players get on development squads at age 9/10 and stay there until 17 regardless of how they are developing provided they keep turning up. We may not have the pick of Limerick (and certainly not the funds) but there is no doubt that we are being caught by counties like Kildare, Westmeath etc and are not remotely close to challenging the Galways, Kilkennys etc.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: keep her low this half on April 11, 2023, 12:12:05 PM
I saw Anthony Daly talking about Limerick underage structures a couple of years back. What he basically said was each development squad had 25 players but that each squad at each age group was reviewed on a three monthly basis. Players who were not performing in training and matches were cut and and new players brought in to replace them. He said every juvenile match had a county assessor at it to report on all relevant players performance. ( Plenty of money in Limerick hurling ). This lead to a ruthless driving up of standards in training and matches across the board.
It is my perception of Antrim juvenile structures that players get on development squads at age 9/10 and stay there until 17 regardless of how they are developing provided they keep turning up. We may not have the pick of Limerick (and certainly not the funds) but there is no doubt that we are being caught by counties like Kildare, Westmeath etc and are not remotely close to challenging the Galways, Kilkennys etc.

Funny you say that i've heard of a promising juvenile player who missed a trial and when managment were asked to consider the player they politely refused

marty34

Quote from: NorthAntrim on April 12, 2023, 04:25:30 PM

Funny you say that i've heard of a promising juvenile player who missed a trial and when managment were asked to consider the player they politely refused

You'd think they'd have some flexibility.

NorthAntrim

Im sure an extra body at training for a few weeks (if a trial period was agreed) would be a positive rather than a negative

Upandover

Development squads at 9/10 yr old? :o

barnish oggie

Quote from: Upandover on April 12, 2023, 10:22:37 PM

Development squads at 9/10 yr old? :o

I think 13/14 is more accurate