New York

Started by Karl Kennedy, May 21, 2009, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 24, 2016, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 24, 2016, 11:13:48 PM
Why in the name of Jesus would you want to be anywhere near Times Square on New Years Eve?! :)

They are a little older and want the walking convenience, wouldnt find me there  too many People.

Well I would stay out of the immediate Times Square area.

The likes of Fitzpatricks, over by Grand Central, would be only a ten minute walk from Times Square.

Carmen Stateside

Yes i would also say get somewhere by Grand Central.  It can be used as a base for taxis, tour buses and trains.  As above its only a few blocks away to times sq taking you past fifth avenue shops and the ice rink at Bryant Park which is beautiful in winter.

gallsman

I had over in six weeks. What's the verdict on the best "all in one pass" like the New York Card? Have heard a few different recommendations so far.

Also, any recommendation on where to buy whiskey?

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on October 25, 2016, 11:29:34 AM
Yes i would also say get somewhere by Grand Central.  It can be used as a base for taxis, tour buses and trains.  As above its only a few blocks away to times sq taking you past fifth avenue shops and the ice rink at Bryant Park which is beautiful in winter.

Thanks for the info, would Executive Hotel Le Soliel New York meet that area?

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 26, 2016, 01:10:46 AM

I literally stayed around the block from there last year.

Perfect location. So much of New York is walkable from there. I doubt you'd hand pick a handier spot.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

whitey

J70

Quote from: gallsman on October 25, 2016, 11:44:49 AM
I had over in six weeks. What's the verdict on the best "all in one pass" like the New York Card? Have heard a few different recommendations so far.

Also, any recommendation on where to buy whiskey?

1. Depends what you want to do. Here's Trip Advisor's analysis. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60763-c140362/New-York-City:New-York:Attraction.Passes.An.Analysis.html

2. On whiskey - again, depends on what you're after. The craft whiskey thing is really taking off over here now.

J70

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 26, 2016, 01:10:46 AM

Its a wee bit further south than Grand Central, but again, very convenient to Times Square. Just a couple of minutes from the Empire State Building, MSG, Macy's etc too.

manfromdelmonte

going over on Friday for a week
should be fun

nrico2006

Anybody able to recommend somewhere decent quality and price to stay in New York that's in a decent location too?

Roughly, how much would you class as being a good price for return flights to New York for 2 adults and 2 children. Thinking about maybe going in February or October. To take in the standard sights, how many days stay would be recommended? Thanks in advance for any help.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

armaghniac

Skyscanner is a good resource for flights, you can see all the alternatives.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 30, 2022, 10:47:02 AM
Anybody able to recommend somewhere decent quality and price to stay in New York that's in a decent location too?

Roughly, how much would you class as being a good price for return flights to New York for 2 adults and 2 children. Thinking about maybe going in February or October. To take in the standard sights, how many days stay would be recommended? Thanks in advance for any help.

Be interesting to hear what you do nrico, as we didn't get round to doing ours due to covid and looking to get that trip back on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Newbridge Exile

We were there in April this year for four nights / five days with our son and stayed in the Belvedere Hotel  a really good location about 5 mins walk from time square ( West 48th between 8th and 9th Avenue), , Key thing is definitely planning ahead , we had our City Pass bought and had all our attractions ( Empire State / Top of the  Rock / AMNH / Ground Zero all booked well in advance of arriving.

J70

Depending on your interests, you could fill two weeks (but who wants to be trekking around tourist sights for that long?).

I'd say a week should easily cover the essentials.

Aer Lingus is doing deals covering February at the moment. Play (Icelandic airline) is cheaper, but you have to stop in Reyjavik, and you'll be flying in and out of Stewart, which is about 1.5 hours up the Hudson (on a good traffic day).

We got $850 apiece from JFK-SNN for the middle of next summer on Aer Lingus.

balladmaker

Spent 6 nights in April this year, stayed in Hyatt Place, 39th St and 8th Ave, it was the best value we could find for a family room. Was an expensive week between flights and spending money, but everyone had a brill time.  Did The Edge, Central Park, Times Square, the High line walk, the Village, Staten Island, Sunset cruise around the bay, plus a good few bars and restaurants along the way, some city.