Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on July 02, 2020, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: Main Street on July 02, 2020, 02:13:56 AM
Quote from: mouview on July 01, 2020, 11:22:08 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 01, 2020, 02:03:54 PM
Quote from: mouview on June 26, 2020, 03:13:18 PM
What's with all the recent fixation re: Italia '90? We were outplayed in most games and played crap football. Definitely an era in bad need of revisionism.

Because it was our first WC and had an impact beyond sport.

Put em under pressure. Caveman football. The Gegenpress. Inspired tactics. Its the same thing.

True but, really, it was a foundation built on sand. It was a time more culturally important than sporting. We never led in any game, only scored 2 goals, the Dutch one at least coming from an error. We created practically nothing v Romania, the English match was derided by foreign (or at least Italian) media as one of the worst WC games ever, while the Egyptian match was probably even worse. (Until the Norway game 4 years later came along). It's debatable whether the 2002 squad was superior, but at least they were encouraged to play better football; that for me remains our best finals campaign (despite or perhaps because of the absence of you-know-who).
A so called analysis built on a foundation of shít for football brains.

Am I wrong? Did I miss the day where we played total football or jogo bonito?
Jogo bonito was the 88 county final
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Baile Brigín 2

What's with all the recent fixation re: Italia '90? We were outplayed in most games and played crap football. Definitely an era in bad need of revisionism.

Put em under pressure. Caveman football. The Gegenpress. Inspired tactics. Its the same thing.

True but, really, it was a foundation built on sand. It was a time more culturally important than sporting. We never led in any game, only scored 2 goals, the Dutch one at least coming from an error. We created practically nothing v Romania, the English match was derided by foreign (or at least Italian) media as one of the worst WC games ever, while the Egyptian match was probably even worse. (Until the Norway game 4 years later came along). It's debatable whether the 2002 squad was superior, but at least they were encouraged to play better football; that for me remains our best finals campaign (despite or perhaps because of the absence of you-know-who).

What do you mean when you say 'foundation built on sand'?

We got to two subsequent world cups and 2 Euros.

The only country with ballpark population I can think of who do better is Croatia.

trailer

Quote from: Main Street on July 01, 2020, 09:39:32 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on July 01, 2020, 08:38:03 PM
Dan Mcdonnell first mentioned it 2 weeks ago in the Indo. Plenty of news on it today on Twitter that it will be confirmed in the coming days
Sky reporting it too.
They're just reporting the rumours. Nothing yet to say it's 100%.
I hope it happens, but looking at Milan's squad it's a leap in class from what Burnley have.

Just what Milan need. Another distinctly average footballer. Hard to believe this is the same club that had Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten, Guillt, Nesta and other world class players at a time.

mouview

What I mean is that the country went daft back then, thronging the pubs, cavalcades in the streets, inflatable hammers etc. Yes, of course it was our first world cup, but essentially we were celebrating, if not mediocrity, then ordinariness. The only game we won was on penos, and as I've said, the football we played was soporific. Our displays in '94, with the honourable exception of Italy, were just the same. (Was there a home-coming in 2002 which would have been more justified? I can't remember...) In what was technically at least their first world cup, Croatia finished third; Holland and Belgium have larger populations than us, but not on the scale of Germany, France, Spain, England etc. and have achieved much at world cups.

I've little time for Roy Keane, but I don't wonder that he gets vexed when he sees us celebrating when we lose, draw or are knocked out of a tournament (cf. 2012). Should he be successful tomorrow, Aidan O'Brien will break the record for English Derby triumphs. Will we be looking back on it with nostalgia in 30 years time?

JoG2

Quote from: mouview on July 02, 2020, 01:05:55 PM
What I mean is that the country went daft back then, thronging the pubs, cavalcades in the streets, inflatable hammers etc. Yes, of course it was our first world cup, but essentially we were celebrating, if not mediocrity, then ordinariness. The only game we won was on penos, and as I've said, the football we played was soporific. Our displays in '94, with the honourable exception of Italy, were just the same. (Was there a home-coming in 2002 which would have been more justified? I can't remember...) In what was technically at least their first world cup, Croatia finished third; Holland and Belgium have larger populations than us, but not on the scale of Germany, France, Spain, England etc. and have achieved much at world cups.

I've little time for Roy Keane, but I don't wonder that he gets vexed when he sees us celebrating when we lose, draw or are knocked out of a tournament (cf. 2012). Should he be successful tomorrow, Aidan O'Brien will break the record for English Derby triumphs. Will we be looking back on it with nostalgia in 30 years time?

soporific, sand, English Derbys, celebrating loses. I for one have enjoyed these posts  ;D

PUT 'EM UNDA PRESSURE! What a great time to have been alive and just about of drinking age !

Cunny Funt

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 01, 2020, 07:00:17 PM
His best performance for Ireland was probaly v Italy in Euro 16. Roma were also interested in Hendrick. It should get more Irish interest in Seria A.

He'd be the first player to sign for Milan asaik. Milan are 7th in the League, so their sky wouldn't be high with signings. Milan haven't played in the Champions League in 7 years.
It's no different to Hendrick joining a Everton or Newcastle, just sounds more exotic because its Milan.

Having checked it out Paddy Sloan played for AC Milan in 40s the first Irish man to play in the Serie A

The rest summed up well. Milan are one of the worst run big named clubs in Europe. 8th, 10th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 5th their league finishes in the last 6 seasons getting on average 60 points per season and the Serie A has been far from its best in recent years.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 02, 2020, 01:48:09 PM
His best performance for Ireland was probaly v Italy in Euro 16. Roma were also interested in Hendrick. It should get more Irish interest in Seria A.

He'd be the first player to sign for Milan asaik. Milan are 7th in the League, so their sky wouldn't be high with signings. Milan haven't played in the Champions League in 7 years.
It's no different to Hendrick joining a Everton or Newcastle, just sounds more exotic because its Milan.

Having checked it out Paddy Sloan played for AC Milan in 40s the first Irish man to play in the Serie A

The rest summed up well. Milan are one of the worst run big named clubs in Europe. 8th, 10th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 5th their league finishes in the last 6 seasons getting on average 60 points per season and the Serie A has been far from its best in recent years.
Man Utd post Fergie time 7th,4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th
Not much different

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2020, 02:23:03 PMMan Utd post Fergie time 7th,4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th
Not much different

United are ran by the Glazers and a clueless Woodward.

The main difference is United can still attract top quality players that aren't past their peak, haven't gone as many years without CL football and had higher average points total the last 6 years playing in a better quality league than the recent Serie A.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 02, 2020, 12:34:54 PM

What do you mean when you say 'foundation built on sand'?

We got to two subsequent world cups and 2 Euros.

The only country with ballpark population I can think of who do better is Croatia.

Uruguay have a population less than 4m. Don't think they have many other competing sports however, which Croatia and ourselves do.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 02, 2020, 02:48:08 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 02, 2020, 02:23:03 PMMan Utd post Fergie time 7th,4th, 5th, 6th, 2nd, 6th
Not much different

United are ran by the Glazers and a clueless Woodward.

The main difference is United can still attract top quality players that aren't past their peak, haven't gone as many years without CL football and had higher average points total the last 6 years playing in a better quality league than the recent Serie A.
Fair enough but they have been dreadful in recent years for a club of their standing.

Baile Brigín 2

I think mid table serie a would suit him more than mid table epl. He has the passing and vision to be a perfectly solid squad player there.

The main difference between joining Milan over Newcastle or Everton is he gets to live in Milan over Newcastle or Liverpool.

Itchy

That crap Milan team beat Juve 4-2 last night.

imtommygunn

John Egan scores again. Get him up front! Good result for Sheffield United too.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 08, 2020, 09:28:10 PM
John Egan scores again. Get him up front! Good result for Sheffield United too.

Interesting that with all the U21 hype there are journeymen pros who pop up and into the plans too. Just in time with Keogh forcing his way out of contention

imtommygunn

Yeah I was reading a tweet from someone on the very subject with regard to Egan and Doherty. Doherty definitely now week established as a good premiership player and Egan hopefully heading that direction.