Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 02, 2013, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 29, 2013, 10:26:28 PM
Betcha Glenn and Tullylish are looking forward to next year!

Yeah, because the teams there already are so evenly matched, we won't stand a chance!

•   Round 2
MAYOBRIDGE 0-12 V 3-14 BURREN

•   Round 8
MAYOBRIDGE 3-12 V 1-3 ROSTREVOR

BURREN 5-17 V 0-13 ANNACLONE

•   Round 11
KILCOO 5-14 V 1-3 LIATROIM

•   Round 14
CASTLEWELLAN 5-20 V 0-8 CUMANN PHEADAIR NAOFA

That's the problem they aren't evenly matched the league structure as it stands is not right the leagues were more competitive with 4 divisions

supersub

That's exactly his point. Teams already there getting hammered so teams coming up likely to struggle as well.

As for the third bottom team, they will definitely be playing in the intermediate championship now no matter what happens.

Down Follower

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 02, 2013, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on September 29, 2013, 10:26:28 PM
Betcha Glenn and Tullylish are looking forward to next year!

Yeah, because the teams there already are so evenly matched, we won't stand a chance!

•   Round 2
MAYOBRIDGE 0-12 V 3-14 BURREN

•   Round 8
MAYOBRIDGE 3-12 V 1-3 ROSTREVOR

BURREN 5-17 V 0-13 ANNACLONE

•   Round 11
KILCOO 5-14 V 1-3 LIATROIM

•   Round 14
CASTLEWELLAN 5-20 V 0-8 CUMANN PHEADAIR NAOFA

On the other hand

•   Round 13
ROSTREVOR 1-08 V 0-09 CASTLEWELLAN

•   Round 12
LIATROIM 1-13 V 0-13 MAYOBRIDGE

•   Round 6
BRYANSFORD 0-12 V 3-11 ANNACLONE

•   Round 1
CPN 1-16 V 1-09 CLONDUFF

Games in Div 1 can go anyway and even Burren although in great form now had some tough games all year including drawing with Saval in the league in round 10!!! There will always be the odd mismatch in any league but   as i have stated before, Division 1 was in general quite competitive.

supersub

Rostrevor beat Bryansford too last week.

Brick Tamlin

Lets be honest, there comes a point in the season where a handful of teams are guaranteed safety from the drop and have no chance of winning the league, and then subsequently whimper out of the championship. Those teams have been doin frick all this last month or so and have been fulfilling fixtures with little or no interest. Results at this end of the year can be by and large irrelevant, apart for those that have to scrap for survival or else compete for honours. Id be taking certain results with a pinch of salt. One game mentioned was Bryansford and Rostrevor. Rostrevor are fighting for their lives for survival whereas since Bryansford were dumped out of the championship they couldn't care less, id be surprised if they are training even. So as good as Rostrevors result is against them recently its no shock nor surprise.

I wouldn't take much notice of some of the hammerings handed out this year at all to be honest. The time of year and certain other circumstances can contribute to these results. By and large the league was competitive enough id thought.

Burren are on a whole other level to any other club in Down. They are unrivalled in terms of resources available to them. The only way they wont beat Kilcoo is through their own fault imo.

umpire

Quote from: supersub on October 02, 2013, 10:45:24 AM
That's exactly his point. Teams already there getting hammered so teams coming up likely to struggle as well.

As for the third bottom team, they will definitely be playing in the intermediate championship now no matter what happens.

There is still a slight chance that 3rd bottom of Div one still play in Senior Championship.

Drumgath/Bosco may refused to play in SFC and stay in IFC. that is their option.

Tense times for team finish 3rd bottom place in Div one !!!

Saturday games is crucial for lots of teams.
Warrenpoint are relegated and they hope to play Rostrevor in IFC next year!!!

Down Follower

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 02, 2013, 02:33:11 PM
Lets be honest, there comes a point in the season where a handful of teams are guaranteed safety from the drop and have no chance of winning the league, and then subsequently whimper out of the championship. Those teams have been doin frick all this last month or so and have been fulfilling fixtures with little or no interest. Results at this end of the year can be by and large irrelevant, apart for those that have to scrap for survival or else compete for honours. Id be taking certain results with a pinch of salt. One game mentioned was Bryansford and Rostrevor. Rostrevor are fighting for their lives for survival whereas since Bryansford were dumped out of the championship they couldn't care less, id be surprised if they are training even. So as good as Rostrevors result is against them recently its no shock nor surprise.

I wouldn't take much notice of some of the hammerings handed out this year at all to be honest. The time of year and certain other circumstances can contribute to these results. By and large the league was competitive enough id thought.

Burren are on a whole other level to any other club in Down. They are unrivalled in terms of resources available to them. The only way they wont beat Kilcoo is through their own fault imo.

Agreed on all accounts Brick.  Games this time of year take on a life of their own and can bear no resemblance to what went on before due to varying circumstances.  In the main though the league wasnt too bad.

Burren could potentially dominate for many years!!

supersub

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 02, 2013, 02:33:11 PM

True to an extent but by other peoples view bryansford should smash rostrevor even if they are out of championship etc because of this gulf in class. Also they were out of the championship 5 days before they played us, hardly time enough to undo all their training. Brynsford gave as good as they got in the game with a full team minus king. In addition to this we beat castlewellen who are going for the league and they were still in the championship at that stage. It shows anyone cant beat anyone on a given day. Wouldnt put it all down to the better teams not caring. Yes to an extent this is true but it isnt the whole picture and certainly not in our case. You would know all about it if you knew what went on in the week leading up to the bryansford match.

downup

Clonduff 1-10 Castlewellan 1-10 last night. Draw keeps Clonduff out of the drop zone.

Down Follower

Quote from: downup on October 03, 2013, 01:59:04 PM
Clonduff 1-10 Castlewellan 1-10 last night. Draw keeps Clonduff out of the drop zone.

Clonduffs last two games in the league - Beat Burren by a point and draw with Castlewellan.  What odds would you have got on those to keep the Yella's out of the drop zone???  It was good for them to show a bit of character after their annihilation by Kilcoo on the Championship.

DownFanatic

Quote from: umpire on October 02, 2013, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: supersub on October 02, 2013, 10:45:24 AM

There is still a slight chance that 3rd bottom of Div one still play in Senior Championship.

Drumgath/Bosco may refused to play in SFC and stay in IFC. that is their option.

Tense times for team finish 3rd bottom place in Div one !!!

Saturday games is crucial for lots of teams.
Warrenpoint are relegated and they hope to play Rostrevor in IFC next year!!!

Umpire, I don't think teams can refuse to participate in a certain championship.

supersub

So you are telling me it's at another clubs discretion whether a fellow club plays in the senior championship? That cannot be right how is that allowed.

ardtole

I know that in Armagh, clubs could choose what grade of championship they played in. I was talking to a lad who played for Killeavy and he told me they were intermediate that year because it was their 100 or 125 year anniversary and wanted a trophy for the dinner dance that year, and knew that Cross would hammer then at senior level.

I couldnt believe my ears, though I dont think you can do the same in Down, I would hope not  anyway. By the way, I dont think Killeavy won the IFC that year anyway.

If other counties have a similar system, it could explain Downs poor record at Ifc and Jfc Ulster championship competitions.

SHEEDY

easy draw for down for next years ulster championship. tyrone away in the preliminary round, the winners play monaghan. then cavan or Armagh in the semis.easy  ::)
nil satis nisi optimum

here comes 6

Is there still a possibility that the fourth bottom team in division 1 this year could be playing in the intermediate championship next year. If third team in division 2 beat the third bottom team in division 1 and add also the intermediate champions this year that would leave 4teams from this years division 2 in senior championship next year. Would there be a group of 5 or what?