Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaisyCutter

Anyone get to Eoghain Rua Pairc for the East Down Derby game?

lucan

in reply to your absurd assertion that no team in div 2 can compete with the top 12 in div 1 would suggest that you look at annaclone newly promoted who are presently 5th from the top .incidentally they were beaten by drumgath  in the intermediate championship last year .they fielded virtually the same team then that has won through to such a high position in div1. if rostrevor go down it will simply be that they are not good enough for div1. thats the purpose of promotion and relegation.

charlieTully

Quote from: lucan on August 24, 2013, 01:04:03 AM
in reply to your absurd assertion that no team in div 2 can compete with the top 12 in div 1 would suggest that you look at annaclone newly promoted who are presently 5th from the top .incidentally they were beaten by drumgath  in the intermediate championship last year .they fielded virtually the same team then that has won through to such a high position in div1. if rostrevor go down it will simply be that they are not good enough for div1. thats the purpose of promotion and relegation.

lucan take a look at their championship performances though, annihilated, I watched tullylish banbridge last night and couldn't help thinking that tullylish were in for some serious hammerings next year. banbridge won 13-08 and the scoreline is very kind on tullylish, there was nothing wrong with the old league structures.

islandchampions08

''in reply to your absurd assertion that no team in div 2 can compete with the top 12 in div 1 would suggest that you look at annaclone newly promoted who are presently 5th from the top .incidentally they were beaten by drumgath  in the intermediate championship last year .they fielded virtually the same team then that has won through to such a high position in div1. if rostrevor go down it will simply be that they are not good enough for div1. thats the purpose of promotion and relegation.''

six teams came up from division 2 last year and look at the league this year! 4 of them occupy the bottom four places as things sit at the minute and the teams that came up are far better than the teams that are going to come up this year. your point on annaclone is valid but I cant help but feel sorry for the division 2 teams next year as hammerings arnt good for team moral as my team learned last week at the hands of kilcoo

Town Gael

Quote from: downjim on August 23, 2013, 10:15:12 AM
It's time to let second teams into the senior leagues. Ive no doubt burre bridge and kilcoo would have excellent teams in junior league. It might not help smaller clubs but why prevent players whowould want to play a better standard develop further.

Of course Kilcoo IIs would do well- their top 13 is a joke. How else could they have two county senior players playing in the ACPRFL?

supersub

Quote from: lucan on August 24, 2013, 01:04:03 AM

And if you read my comment you would have seen that I said any decent teams (i.e. Annaclone etc) have already been promoted from the second division (thus making it weaker) last season - that was the premise of my point. That is also why someone else said Div 2 team wouldn't compete with top 12 div 1, because any that had a chance of doing so are already promoted as a result of six teams going up last season. I would know a few people who play for the teams currently occupying the top three spots in Div 2 and they even admit that a lot of them don't want to go up because of exactly the reasons mentioned in here. There is a clear gulf in class which benefits no one really. As for Rostrevor not being good enough if they get relegated, fair enough, your opinion but don't agree and in any case I think they will survive. If you win the second division at a canter again are you too good for the second division by the same token, as well as not being good enough for division 1? Where do we go then?

On the game Friday night, hard fought win for the reds which was much needed. True we wanted and needed it more than the town. Off the ball stuff was silly. First bit of luck in front of goal we have had all year at both ends with a couple of handy frees missed by the town and our goal coming at the right time after an initial shot off the post. A few games left now to try and drag ourselves out of this mess, but it would have been a lot harder if we hadn't got the 2 points Friday. Point v An Rioct tomorrow evening could be interesting, a kingdom win would leave the point's task very difficult.

Ps looking at the table it is quite extraordinary that Liatriom, An Rioct and Wpoint have nearly exactly the same score difference, with Liatriom and An Riocts identical - For 134 Against 183, Points Against is 184 and all four bottom teams have score 134 points!

downjim

Quote from: Town Gael on August 26, 2013, 09:01:23 AM
Quote from: downjim on August 23, 2013, 10:15:12 AM
It's time to let second teams into the senior leagues. Ive no doubt burre bridge and kilcoo would have excellent teams in junior league. It might not help smaller clubs but why prevent players whowould want to play a better standard develop further.

Of course Kilcoo IIs would do well- their top 13 is a joke. How else could they have two county senior players playing in the ACPRFL?
Terry o hanlon and Jerome Johnston are probably still on kilcoo first 13  ;)

Walter Cronc

How's the Minor A championship going in Down this year? Who would be favourites? I'd imagine Warrenpoint will be strong with 11/12 of last years side underage again this year!

Buffer

Who's the two county players who play for kilcoo 2nds??? No downjim terry and Jerome retired along time ago,don't be so silly have you not been watching any football this 8years

Town Gael

Downjim was being sarcastic! Darragh O'Hanlon and Jerome junior played this year

downjim

The branigans played for kilcoo seconds this year

Buffer

Quote from: downjim on August 27, 2013, 06:14:43 PM
The branigans played for kilcoo seconds this year

I didn't see any branigans playing for down this year jimbo, Jerome didn't play 2nds football at all and darragh Ohanlon was with the u21s but didnt play any county senior football, Barry travers was with the county at the start of the year and played 2nds all year,no???

Town Gael

Barry Travers was never with Down and Jerome played seconds against Castlewellan. Did Darragh not get  McKenna cup game? Even if he didnt how is he not in top 13?

DaisyCutter

Its probably due to the fact that Kilcoo have so many top class players like Burren have as well that they have a headache in selecting their top 13.
Also, I think the ruling is that you are allowed to change players in and out of the top 13 until a certain date are you not? It's a cloudy area to be fair.

Buffer

Quote from: Town Gael on August 27, 2013, 07:41:19 PM
Barry Travers was never with Down and Jerome played seconds against Castlewellan. Did Darragh not get  McKenna cup game? Even if he didnt how is he not in top 13?

Yes Jerome mite have played 2nds. No darragh didn't play any county senior football,so y should he be in the top 13?  Cant put them all in it!