Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
Mooney feels players are 'being used'

Former Down star Caolan Mooney says that he grew sick of Gaelic football before moving to Australia to join AFL side Collingwood.

The Rostrevor native caught the attention of some of the AFL's top clubs on the back of his progress with Down and made his debut with Collingwood, with whom fellow county man Martin Clarke also plays, this year.

The 19-year-old says that he doesn't miss his native game and feels that those playing in front of sell-our crowds at Croke Park are being taken advantage of by the GAA.

"It's at the point where you train professionally but you don't get any money for it," Mooney told the Irish Examiner.

"They bring in all these trainers who train the boys professionally and get paid but the players get nothing. They're just being used. It's far too much for an amateur sport. They're making a clean fortune out of the All-Ireland final, packing over 82,000 into Croke Park. Even Championship games, they make a fortune. They're making heaps of money but where does it go? Senior players come home from work and they then have to go training. They might get some fuel money at the end of the month but that's the height of it."

Mooney believes that players should be paid for services at inter-county level and that the association are at risk of losing more of them if they don't.

"When I was playing school football, I would come straight from school to train with the club or county," he added.

"I did that for two years and didn't get a break so I was like, 'I'm sick of this'. I got to the stage where I didn't even want to play Gaelic football anymore."

Jesus, its not like anyone forced him to play, how many games has he played for Down? didnt take him to long to get sick of it. take a bow Benny Coulter, Danny Hughes et al, even Roney Murtagh who i have slagged on here, lads like them gave years to Down without complaint.

imtommygunn

5 Sams

Quote from: charlieTully on November 09, 2012, 04:03:27 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 09, 2012, 03:21:11 PM
Mooney feels players are 'being used'

Former Down star Caolan Mooney says that he grew sick of Gaelic football before moving to Australia to join AFL side Collingwood.

The Rostrevor native caught the attention of some of the AFL's top clubs on the back of his progress with Down and made his debut with Collingwood, with whom fellow county man Martin Clarke also plays, this year.

The 19-year-old says that he doesn't miss his native game and feels that those playing in front of sell-our crowds at Croke Park are being taken advantage of by the GAA.

"It's at the point where you train professionally but you don't get any money for it," Mooney told the Irish Examiner.

"They bring in all these trainers who train the boys professionally and get paid but the players get nothing. They're just being used. It's far too much for an amateur sport. They're making a clean fortune out of the All-Ireland final, packing over 82,000 into Croke Park. Even Championship games, they make a fortune. They're making heaps of money but where does it go? Senior players come home from work and they then have to go training. They might get some fuel money at the end of the month but that's the height of it."

Mooney believes that players should be paid for services at inter-county level and that the association are at risk of losing more of them if they don't.

"When I was playing school football, I would come straight from school to train with the club or county," he added.

"I did that for two years and didn't get a break so I was like, 'I'm sick of this'. I got to the stage where I didn't even want to play Gaelic football anymore."

Jesus, its not like anyone forced him to play, how many games has he played for Down? didnt take him to long to get sick of it. take a bow Benny Coulter, Danny Hughes et al, even Roney Murtagh who i have slagged on here, lads like them gave years to Down without complaint.

Agree 100% Charlie. Caolan would need to do a bit of research on where the money goes. The Ulster Council have just announced £100,000 worth of funding to Down clubs alone this week. Who does he think pays for the floodlights at every county game, etc, etc. You're right about Rony, Benny, etc. They are the sort of boys who would pay to wear the Red and black IMHO.  There's the difference......
The Aristocrat Years

BRIDGE LAD

Mooney will be glad of the gaa in two years when he f**ks up down under. He's not exactly getting plenty of games!

Mourne Rover

It will be a sad day if pay for play enters the GAA but some people are being a bit hard on Mooney. As someone involved in professional sport on the other side of the world. even if he is only 19, he is surely entitled to offer some thoughts on the code which produced him. When he was at home, he played for his club, his college, and his county minors, u21s and seniors all at more or less the same time, so it cannot be fair to question his commitment. He also turned out as a sub for Rostrevor in this year's SFC when he could just as easily have been on a beach in Australia. If he leaves Collingwood in a year or two, which remains to be seen, he would be a massive asset to Down football.

downjim

That lad needs to think before he speaks . typical rostrevor

fitzroyalty

Is this the same zuke that managed to get into the college with about 10 U's at GCSE? All for 'footballing' reasons might I add. He'd do well to remember where he came from. Primadonna.

Mourne Rover

If we put the more childish comments here to one side, there is essentially very little practical difference between the desire of both Caolan Mooney and Jim McGuinness to be paid for their involvement in sport. I would much prefer GAA players to be rewarded for their achievements in ways which do not involve hard cash. However, if Mooney does come home, helps Down to win an All Ireland and starts arguing for the introduction of financial contracts, that would not be the worst problem we have ever faced. He might even end up as a full-time coach with the county board, which would be a perfectly legitimate outcome.

charlieTully

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 10, 2012, 06:05:38 PM
If we put the more childish comments here to one side, there is essentially very little practical difference between the desire of both Caolan Mooney and Jim McGuinness to be paid for their involvement in sport. I would much prefer GAA players to be rewarded for their achievements in ways which do not involve hard cash. However, if Mooney does come home, helps Down to win an All Ireland and starts arguing for the introduction of financial contracts, that would not be the worst problem we have ever faced. He might even end up as a full-time coach with the county board, which would be a perfectly legitimate outcome.

i don't think anyone is questioning his preference to be a professional, not many could turn down an opportunity like that, its more the comments about players being used and where the money goes etc. the money is pumped back into the association and players play because they love the sport, the lad is saying he doesn't miss the game, fair enough that's his opinion but his comments read as a bit disrespectful in MHO maybe that was not his intention but it reads that way. Jim McGuninnes has played at intercounty level and coached and managed, his qualifications are in sports science, why would he turn down a career in it, i don't remember any interview where Jim has said he was sick off it. he dedicated the last couple of years of his life to bring All Ireland success. I don't think the comparison stands up MR.

angermanagement

Give the lad a break ffs he's only 19 I'm sure he'l regret saying what he said when it's explained to him were all the money goes.

Gaa for life

Wel said angermanagement. But as for the comment from fitzroyalty, catch urself on thers no need for that!

dundrumite

Martin Sludden down to ref the Kilcoo game. Is he the boy who took the Loup semi final in 2009?

charlieTully

Quote from: dundrumite on November 11, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
Martin Sludden down to ref the Kilcoo game. Is he the boy who took the Loup semi final in 2009?

couldnt tell ya but he rides Joe Sheriden

ardtole

I think he is more famous for allowing joe sheridans try for meath against louth in the leinster final a couple of years ago.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dundrumite on November 11, 2012, 07:34:49 PM
No paudie Hughes was the controversial referee in 2009.