"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on April 05, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
Rule is the anthem can only be played once at a venue on any particular day. Generally reserved to before the second game.
Never knew that. I suppose it make sense but it seems more logical to me if it were played before proceedings begins ie before the first game.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Avondhu star

I have been in Irish bars and clubs all over London and have seen grown men and women cry when the anthem is broadcast before big matches every Summer. Even though they are gone from Ireland for many years these men and women still want the link with "home"
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

BennyCake

Quote from: Avondhu star on April 15, 2018, 04:10:04 PM
I have been in Irish bars and clubs all over London and have seen grown men and women cry when the anthem is broadcast before big matches every Summer. Even though they are gone from Ireland for many years these men and women still want the link with "home"

Meanwhile, many at the matches can't even shut the feck up until the anthem has finished!

The Iceman

Quote from: BennyCake on April 13, 2018, 11:29:34 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 13, 2018, 10:20:20 PM
I would hate to see the anthem done away with at games. I think it goes hand in hand with gaelic games for me.  It's sad to see so many other countries where the flag and anthem and pride in where you are from outshines the Irish. I have the Irish flag flying proudly outside my house here in Florida. I wish living in the North of Ireland I could even have one without fear of being targeted.  Any time I've been to a bar out here to watch a game every one to a man stood for the Anthem (over the flippin telly!).  I went to see Armagh play Derry in 2007 before I left for the States. I recorded the anthem at that game. Gaelic games, national pride and the anthem are so intertwined I would be devastated for that to be watered down

It probably has more significance now you live away from home. People tend to attach more significance to anything Irish when away from home.

Yes you risk being targeted having a tricolour on your house in the North, but how many in the South fly a tricolour on their house? Very very few. Because the South is not a divided society and therefore few feel the need to nail their colours to the mast.
I recorded the anthem at the match before I left Benny. The significance at the time for me was knowing this was possibly the last time I would be at a game in person. I chose to mark it and recorded the anthem. They're intertwined for me. Not because I'm away. They've always had significance.
Granted this national pride and attachment to Ireland has only increased since I have left and is what brings me home every year now.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

WT4E

National Anthem a big debate at Windsor.

I hear them asking for God Save the Queen to be sung at GAA matches. I use to care but I would be in favour of dropping Soldiers Song if that lot dropped GSTQ.

What do others think now?

Milltown Row2

Its embarrassing that GSTQ is sang or was even used in the first place by sporting bodies here in the north.

As a UK based anthem I've no problems with it, but when the likes of Wales and Scotland have their own (England should actually have it's own also) then it looks even more silly to think that NI FA chooses on purpose to use another countries anthem, Its like French using the German anthem, two separate footballing nations using the same anthem! Its strange, but the fans will justify it till the cows come home.

Are the 'clubs' at the end of the night or start of the night play the anthem? I know they play it still at the end of the night in the unionist bars, followed by a chorus of, f**k the pope  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2021, 10:09:43 AM

I hear them asking for God Save the Queen to be sung at GAA matches. I use to care but I would be in favour of dropping Soldiers Song if that lot dropped GSTQ.

They could drop it but I still wouldn't get behind the NI soccer team. It should be one national side and I'd be happy to drop any anthem then. I'm not a huge fan of flags, anthems and symbols in general but I do understand that they mean different things to many people.

Itchy

Quote from: WT4E on December 09, 2021, 10:09:43 AM

Personally, and I am not from the 6 counties, but I wouldnt care if they dropped their GSTQ, I would still dislike them as a team. Mostly due to their supporters and their union jacks. Cant understand how any nationalist could play for them.

All that being said. I would drop anthems from all sport. They are not respected by players or supporters as far as I can see. And if you step back and think about it, If Cavan are playing Antrim in next years Ulster championship why is their a need to play a national anthem at it - like what is the purpose of it? 

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 09, 2021, 10:54:18 AM
Its embarrassing that GSTQ is sang or was even used in the first place by sporting bodies here in the north.

As a UK based anthem I've no problems with it, but when the likes of Wales and Scotland have their own (England should actually have it's own also) then it looks even more silly to think that NI FA chooses on purpose to use another countries anthem, Its like French using the German anthem, two separate footballing nations using the same anthem! Its strange, but the fans will justify it till the cows come home.

Are the 'clubs' at the end of the night or start of the night play the anthem? I know they play it still at the end of the night in the unionist bars, followed by a chorus of, f**k the pope  ;D

I remember being in a few places when I was younger that sang Amhran na bhfiann at the end of the night but that must be 30+ years ago now.

imtommygunn

My da used to tell me about when he lived in Belfast years ago they played GSTQ at the end of the showing in the cinema so him and whoever he was with used to try and sneak out before the end.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: clarshack on December 09, 2021, 02:40:58 PM

I remember being in a few places when I was younger that sang Amhran na bhfiann at the end of the night but that must be 30+ years ago now.

Yeah, a lot of the clubs when they were busy during the 80's 90's would have done this. Though they never shouted f**k the queen, maybe they did, I was either on my way into town or too pished to hear
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 09, 2021, 02:45:14 PM
My da used to tell me about when he lived in Belfast years ago they played GSTQ at the end of the showing in the cinema so him and whoever he was with used to try and sneak out before the end.

And a few nightclubs as well back in the day IIRC.

93-DY-SAM

Made the mistake of tuning into Nolan this morning for the first time in ages. Had to turn it off after 5 minutes but not before hearing some caller on saying the All Ireland final should be playing GSTQ when there are two "British" teams in the final. Typical of the shite you get on the Nolan show. Turned it straight off after.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on December 09, 2021, 02:40:58 PM

Good few pubs still play it.

WT4E

We booked a band from Dublin for our wedding. Thought they where upmarket. They provided DJ as well. End of night they rattle out the soldiers song. I'd count myself a republican but I was pissed off they did it as my wife had a number of friends and neighbours there who where the other side of the house.

I can day that is the only wedding that I heard it at.

Then off course I got the blame saying u must of asked them to do that....... and I couldn't get angry with the band in case someone found out an accused me of being a stoop or blue shirt.   A no win weird situation to be in.

;D :o