Croke Park residents legal bid to halt Garth Brooks concerts?

Started by T Fearon, February 14, 2014, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

The residents round Casement will be looking closely at this.

THE GAA has called in the country's top labour relations trouble-shooter to chair negotiations with residents living around Croke Park.

Local residents are objecting to the five Garth Brooks and three One Direction concerts at the stadium this summer.

The GAA has drafted in Kieran Mulvey will chair discussions aimed at agreeing a 'Charter' that will meet the needs of residents, GAA and other stakeholders in relation to future concerts at Croke Park.

Politicians have widely welcomed the news and hope it will allay concerns expressed by residents about disruption.

The decision comes after Croke Park residents threatened to take legal action if licenses aren't granted for the concerts, which are scheduled to run over five nights in July.

Residents in the Drumcondra area of Dublin must now endure a total of eight summer concerts, including three One Direction dates.

Mr Mulvey will also oversee talks aimed at agreeing a long term charter aimed at meeting the needed of residents, the GAA and other stakeholders.

johnneycool

Croke Park have overstepped the mark and rather belatedly trying to appease the residents, residents now have the upper hand.

waterfordlad

If there is an agreement there that has been broken by the GAA and concert promoters the residents have every right to object. 5 nights of concerts in a row would be a lot to take with the traffic, noise and litter issues as well as anti social behaviour by some concert goers. Some people having a go at the residents might not be too happy themselves to put up with this.
Kieran Mulvey is in to try sort it out now.

Aaron Boone

Residents can take a hike and keep going. Pure begrudgers and complainers.

Apparently every concert-goer pees in their garden and every homeowner clears out beer cans after each concert. Load of tosh.

400,000 lawful GB concert goers inconvenienced.

Wildweasel74

having been at the red hot chillis at croker 2yrs ago there were a fair number of drunken clowns about so to say u get 400,00 law abiding peeps over the 5 days is crap. To be honest i can see were the residents are coming from, as for the quick buck , surely the GAA living up to its nickname in that dept.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 07, 2014, 10:10:15 PM

Apparently every concert-goer pees in their garden and every homeowner clears out beer cans after each concert. Load of tosh.

I'm not quite sure why but I actually laughed out loud at this! I think because it appears to be written in genuine anger. Bless the GBers cotton socks having to be inconvenienced in this terrible way! And them lawful and everything! Maybe we could start some sort of appeal to support them?
That was never a square ball!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 07, 2014, 10:34:58 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 07, 2014, 10:10:15 PM

I'm not quite sure why but I actually laughed out loud at this! I think because it appears to be written in genuine anger. Bless the GBers cotton socks having to be inconvenienced in this terrible way! And them lawful and everything! Maybe we could start some sort of appeal to support them?
5 day benefit concert at Croker?

moysider

It goes to show the folly of redeveloping this site in the first place.

That is the substantive issue.

The new Croke Parke should have been a greenfield development and  this messing would not be a factor. Croke Park as a venue should making as much money as possible from events to plough back into games instead of treading on eggshells. The old site should have been sold to Tesco or somebody when they were paying good money.

Why did they develop this in a 'Coronation Street' site location? Narrow streets, no car parking, no rail stop.

If for example in this years' state geography exam,  kids' get the Dublin map/ city photo and are asked to pick a site for a big new football stadium or sports complex. The kid then decides to pick a site in Drumcondra !....... And if he s asked to justify the location!

Sorry !! The whole project was based on sentiment.

The location is a joke.

BennyHarp

So, one of the worlds biggest stadiums, built on time, to cost and paid off in under 30 years by an amateur organisation and in an area full of tradition and atmosphere on big match day. But it turns out the location is a joke and not fit for purpose because a few Garth Brooks fans may be inconvenienced?

Take a read through the First match at Croke Park thread for an idea why a bland green field site may not have been ideal, perhaps it could be used as evaluative evidence as part of an answer in the geography exam?
That was never a square ball!!