New Championship Format

Started by APM, August 22, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your preferred Football Championship format?

Current System
8 (10%)
Pre-2018 - Backdoor - No Super 8s
12 (15%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor
8 (10%)
Pre-2001 - Knock Out - No Backdoor - Enhanced League Programme
22 (27.5%)
Open Draw
23 (28.8%)
Tiered Championship
30 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: September 21, 2018, 11:39:28 AM

APM

Interested in your views on this.  You can choose 2 options.

edit
Should have said - I think going back to the old system - pre 2001 and enhancing the league programme would be very attractive.  Shorter, more condensed championship, purely knock-out, would help restore the appeal and do or die nature that we all loved. 

Meanwhile, the league has been gaining in relevance in recent years and an enhanced programme of fixtures (say 3 divisions of 9 or 10 would ensure more games for the weaker counties) with the top 2 teams in Division 1 playing for the league title. 

Fewer championship games might mean less income for the GAA  - (although it could be offset by more league fixtures ) and it would have to cut its cloth accordingly - fewer employees might not be a bad thing. 

tippabu

8 groups of 4, groups made up of 1 team from each division in the league. Top two in each group through to knockout, bottom two to 2nd tier competition. League which is already brilliant will step up more because there's more significance, every team still has a chance at the Sam McGuire, more knockout games, seeded so cream should rise to the top ensuring top game at the latter stages but there's still a chance of a team going deep.

Rossfan

This new condensed Championship has the winter threads starting early :-\
*A League of some sorts finals/ play iffs/Relegation st playoffs etc on St Patrick's Day.
*Provincial Championships in traditional format with all Counties partaking in May with Finals June Bank Holiday weekend.
* All Ireland Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championships in July with Finals August Bank Holiday weekend. Promotion/Relegation to apply.
* Club Championships to be completed within calendar year.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jinxy

Think of what we'd lose if we got rid of the provincial championships...

gimme a minute, I'm still thinking.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tippabu

Quote from: Jinxy on August 22, 2018, 12:55:36 PM

Exactly....I'm sure all young Galway hurlers dreamed of winning the Leinster senior championship grown up!!

Mourne Red

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 11:59:46 AM
8 groups of 4, groups made up of 1 team from each division in the league. Top two in each group through to knockout, bottom two to 2nd tier competition. League which is already brilliant will step up more because there's more significance, every team still has a chance at the Sam McGuire, more knockout games, seeded so cream should rise to the top ensuring top game at the latter stages but there's still a chance of a team going deep.

I'd agree with this one, Also when it gets too the knockout stages - Stage a 2nd Tier game with a 1st Tier Game

8 Stadiums Needed then - Portaoise, Clones,  Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Gaelic Grounds, Croke Park, Casement (when its finally built), Pearse Stadium etc..

Means football around the country and also give 2nd tier teams exposure as they'll be played with 1st Tier games so TV camera's will be there to show games (TG4 maybe get the rights) and highlights of the 2nd competition

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2018, 12:51:51 PM
This new condensed Championship has the winter threads starting early :-\
*A League of some sorts finals/ play iffs/Relegation st playoffs etc on St Patrick's Day.
*Provincial Championships in traditional format with all Counties partaking in May with Finals June Bank Holiday weekend.
* All Ireland Senior, Intermediate and Junior Championships in July with Finals August Bank Holiday weekend. Promotion/Relegation to apply.
* Club Championships to be completed within calendar year.
No June bank holiday weekend up here, I am afraid. Would the 12-13 July Orangefest holidays suit, maybe?

Plus, rest of July is out, as we close for a fortnight.

Also, is that the ROI August bank holiday, or the UK one - assuming you don't go & kick us out altogether?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 12:59:35 PM

Exactly....I'm sure all young Galway hurlers dreamed of winning the Leinster senior championship grown up!!
Like all young Tipp footballers dreamed of winning the Paidi Ó Sé cup I suppose.

Rossfan

Not much in Leinster or Munster.
Still around 335,000 turned up to watch the 4 Football ones this year so I suspect the GAA would miss th'oul  €6 or 7m.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tippabu

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 22, 2018, 01:31:43 PM

Like all young Tipp footballers dreamed of winning the Paidi Ó Sé cup I suppose.

Well going by my 1st post in here we'd have a chance at winning Sam from the outset and if we arent good enough to qualify then yeah I'd be happy to give the "paudi o se" cup a good go. We did win the inaugural Tommy Murphy cup and were very happy to do so.

Esmarelda

Well it's about bloody time a thread was started on this.

Four groups of eight with one from each division, yet we hear talk of teams getting hammered being pointless and dead rubbers being a no-go in our sacred game.

Current or previous system for me.

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on August 22, 2018, 01:37:50 PM

Not much in Leinster or Munster.
Still around 335,000 turned up to watch the 4 Football ones this year so I suspect the GAA would miss th'oul  €6 or 7m.

It all depends, on my suggestion with no provincial championship you have 48 group games, then 15 in Sam McGuire and another 15 in paudi o se. That's 78 games total in the championship. Just looking quickly there and I think 68 games are being played in 2018. Granted I take the fact there wouldn't be big marquee games early on but cream should rise to the top

tippabu

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 01:51:30 PM

Four groups of eight with one from each division, yet we hear talk of teams getting hammered being pointless and dead rubbers being a no-go in our sacred game.

The whole Leinster and munster championships as a whole are dead rubbers. Look at connacht, roscommon giving hidings to leitrim and Galway hammering Sligo.

AZOffaly

Surprised at you. You think Michael Quinlivan and Conor Sweeney don't dream of winning a Munster SFC?

Esmarelda

Quote from: tippabu on August 22, 2018, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 22, 2018, 01:51:30 PM

The whole Leinster and munster championships as a whole are dead rubbers. Look at connacht, roscommon giving hidings to leitrim and Galway hammering Sligo.
Indeed. And the solution is?