Unwarranted comparisions to soccer

Started by Deiseboy, August 31, 2008, 11:11:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deiseboy

Last sunday I sat in a pub in Waterford city watching the Sunday game with a number of friends who like myself would be avid GAA fans and soccer fans as Waterford has a long tradition in both codes , we are thrilled to be in an All Ireland and thrilled to have three players in the panel for the forthcoming world cup qualifiers against Georgia and Montenegro.
When we saw the Aidan O'Mahony incident there was consensus amongst us that this incident would cause unwelcome comparisons with soccer players and sure enough in the first two pages if the Aidan O'Mahony thread there were four such comparisons !
Soccer is not responsible for the Aidan O'Mahony incident , the Clare v Tipperary under 21 debacle in Ennis , the goading of opponents or the racism exhibited in Carlow, these are matters for the GAA to address.
I for one am heartily sick of these unwarranted comparisons which can only serve to alienate fans of both codes.

pintsofguinness

I agree that it's an issue for the GAA however there are comparisons to soccer because these things are ugly traits of soccer that have started to creep in to the gaa.
How is it alienating soccer fans? There are a large number of posters here soccer fans (inc me) but surely soccer fans must realise that these are traits commonly associated with soccer?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Deiseboy

And what these traits have come into GAA by a process of osmosis from soccer ?
It's the moral superiority that galls me , these are matters for the GAA to sort as it is their sports that are being tainted by players and fans.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Deiseboy on August 31, 2008, 12:05:29 PM
It's the moral superiority that galls me , these are matters for the GAA to sort as it is their sports that are being tainted by players and fans.
Well yes, if players watch soccer players do it every week in England, though that's no excuse as they should know themselves it makes them look like arseholes.  What about the theory in English soccer that it has crept in to their game due to foreign players coming in and doing something that is common in their own country?  So in the same way it's coming in to the gaa.

I don't blame soccer though, it's just a comparison because it happens in soccer. 
I blame the players who are doing it, the referees who must be thick, the gaa authorities who won't do anything about it and Tyrone.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: Deiseboy on August 31, 2008, 12:05:29 PM
Gaelic is our sport why wouldn't we have a superiority complex about it.
The GAA takes responsibility for the game and players takes responsibility for their indiv actions in a game.
O'Mahoney cannot claim with any credibility, mitigating circumstances that he had been influenced by soccer habits. ::)

And what exactly is incorrect with the common perception that Soccer traits are creeping into the GAA game,
particularly the diving and moaning at the ref.
Have you even read the O´Mahoney thread?

Deiseboy

Obviously I've read the O'Mahony thread if I was able to reference four comparisons to soccer in the first two pages.
The O'Mahony /the Clare Tipp /the goading and racism incidents I referred to are purely GAA matters and have nothing to do with soccer or any perceived link with soccer.

Main Street

The only thing obvious is that you are just trolling here for a wind up.

J70

Hardy

He does, but I disagree with him. As one of the first to mention soccer in the Kerry-Cork thread, I defend the validity of pointing out that people who dive and feign injury are copying what they see in soccer. I don't think anyone would seriously suggest that this would have taken root independently in gaelic football if soccer had not introduced, honed, refined and eventually presented it as the accepted way to behave. That's completely different to suggesting that players who behave like this are not responsible for their behaviour. It's simply pointing out the genesis of this unacceptable behaviour.

Main Street

Fair point ???
Hardy and J70, read the first 2 pages then.

His point is that we go on about comparing it as if there is some moral high ground.
He wrote that were 4 such comparisons in the first 2 pages of the e O' Mahoney thread

I said he hadn't read the thread

There are 4 references to soccer on the first 2 pages, one of them from Tankie.
And 2  out of the 4 refer to stop talking the soccer crap

He is trolling plain and simple.
He hasn't read the thread, just picked out the 4 times soccer was mentioned.
His agenda is not debate.

Deiseboy

I have read the thread but I was not about to count through every page for soccer comparisons.
I have read this board on many occasions but never felt the neccessity to register and contribute before reading , in it's entirety , the O'Mahony thread

Main Street

Quote from: Deiseboy on August 31, 2008, 06:38:02 PM
I have read the thread but I was not about to count through every page for soccer comparisons.
I have read this board on many occasions but never felt the neccessity to register and contribute before reading , in it's entirety , the O'Mahony thread
Maybe you should feel the need to be accurate with your facts if you are sourcing some thread to support your agenda.

"and sure enough in the first two pages if the Aidan O'Mahony thread there were four such comparisons !"

"Obviously I've read the O'Mahony thread if I was able to reference four comparisons to soccer in the first two pages."

When in fact there are 2 posts out of the 4  saying stop talking about the soccer references.

You didn't read the 380 or so posts in that thread.
You carelessly posted some nonsense about the first 2 pages.
In the rest of that thread there were about 2 or 3 reference to soccer traits creeping in to the game.

Big deal, you read the board from time to time and find out some members just don't like soccer.

In the Onion Bag

Peter Canavan started the diving rot.  Sean Cavanagh (both GAA heros in my estimation) did it again today against Wexford and scored from the resultant free.  I detest the dishonesty in it. 

Soccer? It's an ultra slow, boring game played by over-paid players and attended by thousands of gambeens content to pay for over-priced tickets just to be bored. Just compare today's professional fair (the Old Firm game and Liverpool v somebody) against the two high scoring amateur GAA semis.  'Fools and their money' I say.

Deiseboy

Quote from: Main Street on August 31, 2008, 07:25:58 PM
Quote from: Deiseboy on August 31, 2008, 06:38:02 PM
Maybe you should feel the need to be accurate with your facts if you are sourcing some thread to support your agenda.

"and sure enough in the first two pages if the Aidan O'Mahony thread there were four such comparisons !"

"Obviously I've read the O'Mahony thread if I was able to reference four comparisons to soccer in the first two pages."

When in fact there are 2 posts out of the 4  saying stop talking about the soccer references.

You didn't read the 380 or so posts in that thread.
You carelessly posted some nonsense about the first 2 pages.
In the rest of that thread there were about 2 or 3 reference to soccer traits creeping in to the game.

Big deal, you read the board from time to time and find out some members just don't like soccer.

" I did read the thread , you did'nt read the thread "
OK I confess you're right the dog eat the last 25 pages of the thread !!
Yoy're right the premiership was crap today but at least we did'nt see the ref ref surrounded by players disputing his decision unlike the Kerry Cork game.
These actions are engrained in players and I would suggest the management as well no matter what game you play , it's up to every sport to legislate for it's own game not to suggest that bad behaviour is somehow caused by another sport

his holiness nb

Do you have a cousin in Dublin Deiseboy?
Ask me holy bollix