London Final

Started by Sludden, December 10, 2006, 01:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sludden

St Brendans defeated Tara in the London senior championship final , at Ruislip on Sat afternoon , with the winning side including in their ranks ,former Omagh star Paul Tierney.Tierney who is a cousin of Tyrone gaa star Ryan mc Meniman ,   works as a It project manager for Unisys , and was claiming his former senior championship medal , after 2 previous final defeats with St Brendans , and a  defeatwithOmagh ,in the 1998 , Tyrone senior final  against Ardboe.  The winners  Tyrone connection also extends to the  backroom, with former Trillick  resident Pat mc Nabb , a member of the management team,  with St Brendans facing an All Ireland quarter final  tie in the next few weeks  

john mcgill

Well done to St Brendans. Its great to see the underdog come through.  Who do they play in the All Ireland club now?  Sludden, one of the nice thing about St Brendans is that there is not a preponderance of players from  a single county.  That often goes against the Brendans in terms of support.  Other well known Tyrone footballers with the club over the years were Iggy Donnelly, Dungannon Clarkes, Conor and Finbarr Drayne, Donaghmore, Laurence Strain, Drumquinn, John Collins, Dregish, Benny Cox, Drumragh and Jude McNabb, Trillick.
Pat McNabb is responsible for a lot of this success.  Trillick's gain is St Brendans and London's loss. 
Sludden did you feature with St Brendans?

john mcgill

Pat moved back home this year and returned to London, for the weekend, for the final.

john mcgill

Yes Pat is a teacher.  I don't know his subject but he has taught Special Needs

The Bottom Brick

How did Killian Phair do?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

stbrendans_london

Killian Phair played very well and has done all season. Was top scorer in the final with 3 points in what were v difficult conditions for forwards.

St Brendans line up was:
Billy Molloy (Wexford), Gary Cullen (Wicklow), Paul Malone (Louth), Shane O'Hare (Down), Liam O'Connell (Cork), Fergal Greenan (Monaghan), Paul Tierney (Tyrone), Sean McAlinden (Down), Leo Fallon (Westmeath), Martin Gillespie (Donegal), Simon Cullen (Roscommon), Joe Corscadden (Sligo), Paddy Bowles (Limerick), Killian Phair (Cavan), Adrian Brett (Sligo).

Dara Smith (Galway) & Brendan Bolger (Kilkenny) came on in the second half.

The team was captained by Adrian Brett.

Simon 'Bobo' Cullen was man of the match.

www.stbrendanslondon.com

The Bottom Brick

What was the final score?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

magpie seanie

Jaysus - two club SFC medals in Cloonacool! Wonders will never cease.

wicklaman

Good to hear Gary Cullen playing ball, his home club Laragh won the Wicklow junior B this year!!

irunthev

Final score was 0-9 to 1-4. Tara went 1-1 to no score ahead in first ten minutes. St Brendans now go on to play Dr Crokes in January in Ruislip. That's a big step up.
I heard that McNabb was subbing in the Brothers in Omagh at the moment. Is that true?

fearglasmor

Anyone know if St Michaels in Croydon are still in existence ?

irunthev

St Michaels are no longer about. Went out of business about 7 or 8 years ago. In the past 20 years over 24 clubs have gone to the wall in London. There was once in excess of 50 football teams in London, now there are 24 football teams.
St Michaels had some decent players too. Sean Darcy (Tyrone) Paul Murray (Dublin) Kieran Rafferty (Tyrone) and Paul Sweeney (Tyrone) taht I knew of. And before anyone jumps down my throat for mentioning three Tyrone players, they were just the ones I knew. No doubt there were some wonderful players from Roscommon and Wexford as well, but probably not Armagh  8)

fearglasmor

Played with Paul Murray and Kieran Rafferty for St Michaels a long way back, had a few other good players too, Mick White and Mick Noonan from Cork, Ger McColgan from Donegal, Frank Foy from Offaly  and Dave Murray from Meath and a few more I cant remember the names of.