Ulster Top Scorer

Started by manoman, July 14, 2009, 11:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manoman

After scoring 2-8 at the weekend, Paddy Bradley moves to Ulsters Top Scorer Ever in Championship Football.  A tremendous achievement.  There are many who will say that he benefited from playing many qualifier games but in fact, he has ammassed the total in less games than any of the others in the top list.  At 28, Im sure he will continue to push his tally further.

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Archie Mitchell

Oisin is still top. Qualifer scores don't count, I think it's only scores in Ulster Championship games that count.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/the_championship/7329996.stm

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 14, 2009, 11:57:48 AM
Oisin is still top. Qualifer scores don't count, I think it's only scores in Ulster Championship games that count.

Thought that myself...

I also agree with Benny its good to have such a high profile county player on the board now, his insights will be invaluable.

ONeill

It does include the qualifiers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Archie Mitchell

Who would be the all-time op scorer in Ulster Championship then?

Did Oisin or Peter play many qualifer games?

ONeill

Peter played a right few. Oisin didn't. The majority of Bradley's total has been made up in the qualifiers.

I'd say Oisin and Doherty would be vying for pure Ulster Championship.

armaghniac

Even Bradley's total in the Ulster championship reflects his importance in the Derry team. Oisin reached the top of the Ulster scoring stakes while winning 7 Ulster titles, I am not sure if Bradley was involved in 2000/2001, but Derry haven't even featured in an Ulster final after that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

I am sure some of our experts on the board have the stats for top scorers in the Ulster Championship and another list for top Ulster scorers in the All ireland Championship as a whole.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ONeill

I did it on the old board but finding it is another job....

ONeill

This is from 2007: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/northern_ireland/the_championship/6745037.stm

Half way down you get this:

NON-QUALIFIER HOTSHOTS
Paddy Doherty 15-159 (204)
Peter Donohoe 17-133 (184)
Sean O'Neill 17-125 (176)
Peter Canavan 8-167 (191)
Oisin McConville 10-155 (185)
Sean O'Neill 7-125 (176)
Charlie Gallagher 10-142 (172)

armaghniac

There was an Ulster championship table in the Sunday Times before the Derry/Tyrone game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

talktothehand

Quote from: manoman on July 14, 2009, 11:47:32 AM
After scoring 2-8 at the weekend, Paddy Bradley moves to Ulsters Top Scorer Ever in Championship Football.  A tremendous achievement.  There are many who will say that he benefited from playing many qualifier games but in fact, he has ammassed the total in less games than any of the others in the top list.  At 28, Im sure he will continue to push his tally further.

he'll have no bother counting his medals though :-*

Will Hunting

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on July 14, 2009, 11:57:48 AM

How can only Ulster Championship games count for the title of "Ulster's Top Scorer Ever in Championship Football"?

Maybe you're getting confused with the "Top Scorer Ever in the Ulster Championship".

Fair play to Bradley btw for reaching the top of the charts... and hopefully with a few more years to go yet.

5 Sams

I have a funny feeling that Paddy Mo will not be losing sleep over this announcement.

Them celtic crosses must be cutting the hole of him when he rolls over in the scratch at night ;)
The Aristocrat Years