under age football drills

Started by cahill wicklow, April 30, 2009, 12:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cahill wicklow

hey,
i have a minor problem, i have recently took up the training of under 16 and under 14 football,
i have knowlegde of trainin and all involved. i have also done alot of research on training drills
what i'm looking for is a little help with a few more drills that will make the training sessions more enjoyable for all players involved.
any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks fellow gaa lovers

moysider

Zulu

What type of things are you looking for, modified games or drills to work on specific skills?

DUBSFORSAM1

I would say it depends on what you want to do with your coaching...

Do you -

1 - Want to turn these kids into the best footballers they can be - then concentrate on all the skills like being able to kick/handpass off both hands/feet, teach everyone how to defend/tackle and not just the backs, teach all the backs how to shoot etc....Play backs as forwards and forwards as backs as I find it gives a far greater understanding of what you need to do and don't allow the bigger/better kids to dominate all the main positions

2 - Do you want to ensure you win matches - Well thats a different set of rules..

Over the Bar

QuoteDo you -

1 - Want to turn these kids into the best footballers they can be - then concentrate on all the skills like being able to kick/handpass off both hands/feet, teach everyone how to defend/tackle and not just the backs, teach all the backs how to shoot etc....Play backs as forwards and forwards as backs as I find it gives a far greater understanding of what you need to do and don't allow the bigger/better kids to dominate all the main positions

2 - Do you want to ensure you win matches - Well thats a different set of rules..

3 - Or do you want neither of the above and just be all hype like Dublin.    ;)

cahill wicklow

well yes i do want to turn the backs into forwards...
all the teenagers enjoy the training but i want some more drills than the standard ones to just make the training more fun and therefore be able to play any player in any positions

your help is greatly appreciated people,
thanks

Zulu

Don't get too bogged down in the drills CW, small sided games are the way to go and you can set up the games so that a particular skill is the focus, for example point scoring in a 6 V 6 type game. Small sided games allow the players to practice all the skills in pressure situations but also introduces the aspect of decision making that drills rarely do. If you need them I'll pm you a few different games but if you set up the pitch size and number of players to suit your goals then you should have no problems.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Zulu on May 03, 2009, 08:11:16 PM
Don't get too bogged down in the drills CW, small sided games are the way to go and you can set up the games so that a particular skill is the focus, for example point scoring in a 6 V 6 type game. Small sided games allow the players to practice all the skills in pressure situations but also introduces the aspect of decision making that drills rarely do. If you need them I'll pm you a few different games but if you set up the pitch size and number of players to suit your goals then you should have no problems.

Hi Zulu,
  I'm greatly interested in this information also as I have recently started U10 coaching. I'd appreciate if you could post whatever info you have on this thread, if you don't mind. All the articles/links posted to date are great and extremely useful for anyone involved in underage coaching/training. If you have attachments/articles then PM me if you wouldn't mind.

Either way, we could build up a useful resource on here. Maybe we could even sticky this thread, mods??

Thanks again.
GMF.

thebandit

I find the Gaelic Performance DVD very good

www.gaelicperformance.com

Zulu

I've had a few pm's about drills etc. so I'll post everything here from now on, if you want something specific for an age group just let us know what age they are and I'll post some of the drills and games I use. I'd be very interested in anybody else who's got drills that they have used or know of and would appreciate if they'd post them here also. I won't be able to post too much over the next few days but I'll post a few games and drills for U10's on Thursday or Friday, like GMF this could prove to be an interesting and informative thread if enough lads posted their thoughts and experiences.

lynchbhoy

imo the second half of all training session sshould be for the playing of games. All players want to play football and getting bogged down in drills etc isnt as appealing and even adults love to be able to play a game at the end.
Handpass only games, shooting with foot or handpass for points at the end - with no solo/hop / with either a solo or hop / full football rules are all variations, or just full games to get them all practiscing the pass and move aspect and learning to support the man with the ball and giving him options.
Penalise players giving away the ball with pressups etc gives them subconscious notion that they must be sure of a pass when in a real game.
Having players who score to nominate opponents (and maybe even a team mate) to 'do 10 or 20 pressups' as a reward for scoring causes great competition and notions of 'revenge' and they all want to score - so can turn a going through the motions game into a more high octane affair- and a bit of craic too !

The first part of a session imo should always be based on skills and improving them.
Picking the ball off the ground, moving hand passing up to 10/15 yards,kick passing 15- 40 yards, catching, breaking ball, tackling, defending , blocking, shoulder charging, core strength work, point and goal shooting etc

imo

Oakleafer1993

Zulu - good man - much appreciated.