Pool B
Australia, Wales, Fiji, Canada, Japan

Pool C
New Zealand, Scotland, Italy, Romania, Portugal

Pool D
France, Ireland, Argentina, Georgia, Namibia

less than two weeks until it starts.

Uladh

Have to say that i'm amazed at the IRFU handing EOS a contract extension at this time. in fairness i reckon him a decent coach but if ireland don't make they world cup quarter finals it represents abject failure.

screenexile

I would have thought this was the perfect time for EOS to leave after the world cup! He's been there a while now and I think that someone with new ideas and a new take on things should get a full four year tilt at the next world cup.

turk

Quote from: Uladh on August 29, 2007, 12:04:56 PM

Have to say that i'm amazed at the IRFU handing EOS a contract extension at this time. in fairness i reckon him a decent coach but if ireland don't make they world cup quarter finals it represents abject failure.

absolute madness

Tankie

I'm happy to see the EOS stay on with the Ireland team, there is not really someone better that we can bring in so why change. I also like his way of picking a team based on who is playing for their provences, it stops the flow of players to England and France which is a good thing for irish rugby!
Grand Slam Saturday!

thewobbler

I have to agree with Tankie. The conservative part of Eddie can be infuriating, but by and large he has got as good as you could get out the players at his disposal. Not many managers can lay that claim, so it wouldn't be wise to replace him.

Uladh

surely that is only a judgement that can be made after this world cup?

turk

Yikes lads

i'd have to disagree strongly with that!

O'Sullivan's had 5 or 6 gos at the six nations now and failed to win it - this with Ireland's most talented squad ever. I can't see the point in giving him four more years - I think he should have gone the year Wales won the grand slam.

Tankie

I see where you are coming from turk but i dont see who else could do the job better. Also you have the problem of transition with a new manager and the Irish rugby team cannot afford to have 1 to 2 bad 6nations due to transition. This is the best irish team we have ever had and most of them only have 4 years left in them so if they aint gonna win under eddie I cant see them winning at all.
Grand Slam Saturday!

turk

I think a lot of top coaches would be very keen to take on the Irish job! We have already had a string of bad 6 nations under O'Sullivan.

O'Sullivan may win the world cup with ireland - in which case he would be free to stay on! But extending his contract before the tournament is a bad sporting move.

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on August 30, 2007, 09:18:21 AM
I see where you are coming from turk but i dont see who else could do the job better. Also you have the problem of transition with a new manager and the Irish rugby team cannot afford to have 1 to 2 bad 6nations due to transition. This is the best irish team we have ever had and most of them only have 4 years left in them so if they aint gonna win under eddie I cant see them winning at all.
Eddie hasnt given anyone else a run , we are fucked in BOD, ROG , Hase , Strings, Dempsey, Hogan get injured and we are fucked as in we have no clue who will replace them not that we dont have anyone good enough
Thats over 1/3 of the team we have no replacement for what so ever
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on August 30, 2007, 10:48:24 AM
Eddie hasnt given anyone else a run , we are fucked in DOB , ROG , Hase , Strings, Dempsey, Hogan get injured and we are fucked as in we have no clue who will replace them not that we dont have anyone good enough

There is plenty of peoplr to replace tho players but they are just not of that standard. A national coach does not really have a choice but to play his top players every time, if not like a club team, its a problem every national team faces!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ludermor

new zealand, australia and south africa always play their second string in the tri nations. france spread the players around big time.

Tankie

Did anyone see that Rugby World Cup Preview on TV3 lastnight? i was bored to tears with the pointless information it was throwing out, thank good i will only have to watch 2 games on TV3 :D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on August 30, 2007, 12:59:23 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on August 30, 2007, 10:48:24 AM
Eddie hasnt given anyone else a run , we are fucked in BOD , ROG , Hase , Strings, Dempsey, Hogan get injured and we are fucked as in we have no clue who will replace them not that we dont have anyone good enough

There is plenty of peoplr to replace tho players but they are just not of that standard. A national coach does not really have a choice but to play his top players every time, if not like a club team, its a problem every national team faces!
We played 3 friendly against Austria, South Africa and  some island and very strong team where named , Tell me this Tankie for the 6 position above tell me who replaces them and when they last played a full or near to it international excluding these warm up games ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.