The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Your Points

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2017, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 10:06:40 AM
What we reckon the starting line up will be on Saturday?

If everyone's fit I reckon

Kearney, Trimble, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

On the bench VdF may be unlucky to lose out to O'Mahony. You'd think Henderson & Earls will be in there also for their versatility.

After 18 mins, Sexton back on bench, after 35 mins Kearney on the bench and after 44 mins Ryan off the field.  Henshaw may not last the game either and O'Brien is becoming increasing injury prone, not sure when he will have to be replaced.

Overestimated how long glass Johnny would last.

Madigan is playing very well for Bordeaux and has improved since he went to France.  Always had a swagger but that has increased as he becomes a better play maker.  Place kicking against Ulster was very good.  As required in France, he has bulked out to be able to handle the more physical game.  Schmidt has decided that playing in France was OK for porcelain Johnny but a step too far for Madigan.  Keatley has only played well for Munster when brought on as a sub winger, he has suffered permanent damage and is only occupying a space in Munster until they secure a new local at 10.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2017, 04:18:42 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on January 31, 2017, 10:22:17 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 31, 2017, 10:06:40 AM
What we reckon the starting line up will be on Saturday?

If everyone's fit I reckon

Kearney, Trimble, Ringrose, Henshaw, Zebo, Sexton, Murray, McGrath, Best, Furlong, Toner, Ryan, Stander, O'Brien, Heaslip.

On the bench VdF may be unlucky to lose out to O'Mahony. You'd think Henderson & Earls will be in there also for their versatility.

After 18 mins, Sexton back on bench, after 35 mins Kearney on the bench and after 44 mins Ryan off the field.  Henshaw may not last the game either and O'Brien is becoming increasing injury prone, not sure when he will have to be replaced.

Overestimated how long glass Johnny would last.

Madigan is playing very well for Bordeaux and has improved since he went to France.  Always had a swagger but that has increased as he becomes a better play maker.  Place kicking against Ulster was very good.  As required in France, he has bulked out to be able to handle the more physical game.  Schmidt has decided that playing in France was OK for porcelain Johnny but a step too far for Madigan.  Keatley has only played well for Munster when brought on as a sub winger, he has suffered permanent damage and is only occupying a space in Munster until they secure a new local at 10.

There's no comparison between Jonny when at Racing and Madigan. Sexton was and is world class! I would bring Madigan into the fold for this game but you can see the IRFU policy. We're not a huge rugby nation and have to look after/reward those players who stay and play on our shores! Jonny was the exception and rightly so in my opinion. It won us two 6 nations titles, something we can't scoff at.

As for bulking up, that's damm all to do with preventing injuries. Look at Beauden Barrett and the majority of kiwi players. Lean and mobile.

Tony Baloney

AZOffaly

AZOffaly

Keatley on the bench. Jaysus. Keatley is not playing at all for Munster at 10 anymore really, and when he does he's not been great, even in mop up duty. Is there no other Irish qualified 10 playing rugby? I'm looking at you Madigan.

Frank_The_Tank

Would Rory Scannell not be ahead of Keatley as well on current form?  Is Donnacha Ryan injured?  Surprised he is not on the Squad as I thought he had impressive Autumn series
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

AZOffaly

Rory Scannell would be, but is playing much more as centre. If they were taking Blyendaal off, they'd probably bring Keatley in as 10.

That said, Keatley is in danger of becoming the utility back at Munster, he's coming on as full back, centre, all over the gaff. He's finished there I'm sure, especially with JJ Hanrahan coming back.

Walter Cronc

Harsh on D Ryan for sure. Hearing he injured the knee. Dillane and VdF off the bench will bring serious pace and power!! I'm a huge fan of O'Halloran but again he maybe see's Bowe's physicality as an added bonus. What age is John Ryan? Is he a late developer? Rory Scannell for all his talents cant be assumed to be an international 10. As I've said before I'd have brought Madigan back for this one but can see why he wasn't!

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2017, 02:17:51 PM
Rory Scannell would be, but is playing much more as centre. If they were taking Blyendaal off, they'd probably bring Keatley in as 10.

That said, Keatley is in danger of becoming the utility back at Munster, he's coming on as full back, centre, all over the gaff. He's finished there I'm sure, especially with JJ Hanrahan coming back.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Keatley head to France in the Summer.

Cant for the life of me understand how Tiernan O'Halloran is not in the 23 - he should definitely be there ahead of Bowe and arguably ahead of Rob Kearney as well if you were picking on form over the past year / 18 months.

magpie seanie

Madigan should be on bench. Crazy IRFU bullshit. Jack Carty is better than Keatley FFS.

AZOffaly

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 02, 2017, 02:33:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2017, 02:17:51 PM

Wouldn't be surprised to see Keatley head to France in the Summer.

Cant for the life of me understand how Tiernan O'Halloran is not in the 23 - he should definitely be there ahead of Bowe and arguably ahead of Rob Kearney as well if you were picking on form over the past year / 18 months.

I'd be surprised if he *didn''t*

NAG1

No mention of Jackson's spot of bother? Seems to have been treated differently to the way a lot of 'similar' stuff has been with the soccer lads.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on February 02, 2017, 03:53:57 PM
No mention of Jackson's spot of bother? Seems to have been treated differently to the way a lot of 'similar' stuff has been with the soccer lads.

Its been all quiet on that front alright. Not sure what the story is with him and Olding!

NAG1

Not digging or anything just an observation really.

Milltown Row2

Hope no one is underestimating Scotland who have improved greatly over the last few years, would expect a win but it won't be easy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea