The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2016, 09:00:46 PM
Irish soccer supporters interest in English soccer has nothing to do with the 'best' Irish players, it wouldn't matter one iota if there were no Irish playing there. Our interest in soccer is wafer thin in reality, if it wasn't we'd support our own teams the way we do in the GAA. The high participation rate is more to do with the nature of the game than it's popularity in Ireland (& elsewhere too probably). I don't mind why Irish people support English or Scottish soccer teams that barely represent their own localities anymore let alone the Irish bandwagoners but I just find it odd that you hammer rugby supporters for recently supporting Irish teams while we've always jumped on the latest soccer bandwagon. Remember when Irish were going by the boatloads to Sunderland games when Keane and Quinn were involved but don't anymore? Thankfully GAA is king here and long may it continue.

Incorrect.

Shamrock Rovers had average attendances of 20k prior to the 1970s.

GAA is not king, it's a rural game.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 21, 2016, 08:32:52 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2016, 08:29:31 PM
Only an idiot would say paul o'connell is a giant freak who has achieved nothing though bomber :o

Why? I'd say O'Connell would struggle to trap a football, I'd say he'd struggle with anything that would involve anything technical. He'd probably make a decent weightlifter of something.

Nothing technical in a rugby tackle then or the game he played- no?

Quite insulting lamguage for an irish sporting hero some might say.

Zulu

Where are they all now? Rovers still exist I presume? Aye, no GAA clubs in Dublin or supporters attending their games, same for Waterford city, Limerick city, Cork city and major towns like Portlaoise, Ennis, Dungarvan, Tullamore, Clonakilty, Mallow. You're genuinely having a laugh now.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2016, 09:07:24 PM
Only an idiot would say paul o'connell is a giant freak who has achieved nothing though bomber :o

Why? I'd say O'Connell would struggle to trap a football, I'd say he'd struggle with anything that would involve anything technical. He'd probably make a decent weightlifter of something.

Not really, it's a primitive game played by guys who failed at real sports.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2016, 09:08:11 PM
Where are they all now? Rovers still exist I presume? Aye, no GAA clubs in Dublin or supporters attending their games, same for Waterford city, Limerick city, Cork city and major towns like Portlaoise, Ennis, Dungarvan, Tullamore, Clonakilty, Mallow. You're genuinely having a laugh now.

You cannot ignore the notable changes that have taken place in that time. English football is probably a trillion pound game at this rate, right on the doorstep of Ireland, live TV games etc, dilution of the quality of the best teams.

Now if Ireland amalgamated all the clubs into four sides and went and took part in a cross channel league, you would certainly see a massive bump in the attendances of Irish club sides but I think that would be a pathetic route to take.

Zulu

So the passionate Irish soccer fan jacked in watching their own team, the team their Dad supported, their local heroes, the embodiment of who they are because they could watch multinational teams of mercenaries represent cities they may never have been to? Doesn't sound like we are very loyal to the sport, more like bandwagon supporters I think. Now GAA, that's very different and despite all these TV soccer games we still manage to get off our arses and go watch GAA games in good numbers. Even many club games can get thousands and that's a level well below IC so it appears us Irish don't just watch top level GAA we are passionate about it all.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 21, 2016, 09:08:59 PM

What did o'connell fail at?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2016, 09:21:21 PM
So the passionate Irish soccer fan jacked in watching their own team, the team their Dad supported, their local heroes, the embodiment of who they are because they could watch multinational teams of mercenaries represent cities they may never have been to? Doesn't sound like we are very loyal to the sport, more like bandwagon supporters I think. Now GAA, that's very different and despite all these TV soccer games we still manage to get off our arses and go watch GAA games in good numbers. Even many club games can get thousands and that's a level well below IC so it appears us Irish don't just watch top level GAA we are passionate about it all.

They're still loyal to the sport, the team? Maybe not, but that's not really the issue.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 21, 2016, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 21, 2016, 09:08:59 PM

What did o'connell fail at?

Real sports.

imtommygunn

Il Bomber Destro

imtommygunn

Association football or gaa football? What was his career path? What point die he fail at?

The Stallion

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 21, 2016, 02:18:36 PM
Quote from: The Stallion on November 21, 2016, 02:06:08 PM
Seems like he did destroy him on facts to be fair.

Hard to come back from that mauling with any dignity.

Slide you on ye bo**ix, masquerading on here as a Glen man. Prat!

Not sure what prompted this meltdown from you Walt. What makes you think I'm masquerading as a Glen man by the way?

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 21, 2016, 09:33:43 PM
Football.

You still never answered me on

Question 1 - why dont you create an I hate rugby thread to talk to like minded individuals?

Question 2 - What do you hope to achieve by constantly belittling rugby...do you hope to change my or anyone who likes the gane opinion on it? 

Question 3 - Do you honestly really believe there is no aspect to trolling in your posts?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

tonto1888

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 21, 2016, 08:00:56 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 21, 2016, 12:31:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 01:28:38 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:57:09 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 20, 2016, 10:32:09 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 20, 2016, 10:28:24 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 20, 2016, 10:21:38 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 20, 2016, 10:15:57 AM
A sport where one team decided to take the opponents out of the game, caused injuries and weren't penalised?

Why would a parent encourage their child to play this game?

Incidentally, how many players were concussed yesterday?

How do you know there were players concussed?

You should just ignore this bigot folks.  Let him rant away but don't reply.  Its pointless trying to argue with an idiot- years of experience will mean they will come out in top.

I think it's pointless trying to argue against facts, that is why you guys are left clutching at empty insults like "bigots".

You also come out with a whole load of statements which have zero factual basis e.g you stated last week housewife viewing figures for rugby were through the roof?  You pick and choose what you want to reply too.  Your an idiot IMO.  You may think the same about me...i couldnt care less.  But no matter about all your facts which I dont dispute you dont seem to grasp that you are not going to change my opinion on rugby and I would say its the same for everyone else on here who enjoys the sport.

Why do you constantly cone on a thread where 95% of people want to talk about the game in a positive light without your constsnt slating of it.  Cant you not create a I Hate Rugby thread for that?

The fact 4 women were interviewed coming out of the stadium on RTE news yesterday gives my point on housewives credence. They also blamed the referee.

did they state they were housewives?

One was an 8 year old girl, the rugby side probably battle for wall space with Ed Sheeran or One Direction.

so you have no idea and are making things up