Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: OakLeaf on May 16, 2023, 12:43:21 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 16, 2023, 11:07:46 AM
On the way home and only for 2 good souls (and man and a women) directing traffic both on the road and for vehicles trying to leave one of the fields we'd still be there!

I was in the same field as you. Those pair that were directing traffic were a godsend! The lads that were supposed to be stewarding just upped and left. It wasn't too bad after the Lacky Road started moving (we headed back over in the direction of the Roslea Road), but that was an hour and 20 minutes after we arrived back at the car :(

Looking forward to Casement being built.

There was 1 guy collecting the money as you entered the field....

Given the time this took....it obviously helped generate the miles of queue....

Nowhere to be seen on return to the car......had cleared off and it was a 'free for all' to get out...only for the goodness of the 2 people as mentioned earlier....

seafoid

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on May 16, 2023, 11:05:46 AM
Ulster GAA needs to either find the funding from somewhere for Casement or invest serious money into Clones. I get the argument around tradition etc that goes around Clones and it is a tough one to argue against but the simple fact is things change and Clones is not fit to host these crowds any more.
I think the GAA funds around 10m in grants per year that would cover stadium projects. Clones would probably be multi year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

markl121

I parked at the clones sign on the grass from five mile town about 200 yards from the ground. Didn't go on the pitch in the end and went straight to car. Think we timed it just about ok. Crawled a walking pace in a crowd of people for the guts of three miles though before it cleared. Some cars were parked facing into clones too I have no idea how that faired out. Took two hours exactly to get back to south derry. Friend of mine went on the pitch and didn't get home to 11. He was parked beside me

armaghniac

On the way home and only for 2 good souls (and man and a women) directing traffic both on the road and for vehicles trying to leave one of the fields we'd still be there!

I was in the same field as you. Those pair that were directing traffic were a godsend! The lads that were supposed to be stewarding just upped and left. It wasn't too bad after the Lacky Road started moving (we headed back over in the direction of the Roslea Road), but that was an hour and 20 minutes after we arrived back at the car :(

Casement is not the nirvana people think, you cannot park 10,000+ cars near there either.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 01:04:19 PM

Casement is not the nirvana people think, you cannot park 10,000+ cars near there either.

Agree!

Parking in and around Casement was never easy!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 16, 2023, 01:09:55 PM

Agree!

You have two supermarkets nearby with plenty parking on Sundays, you have train station and regular bus services, the motorway is on the door step of the pitch. Yes there are no fields to park on wet days, or no major roads leading into it,  pathetic toilet facilities or covered stands, I get that ;D

I'm sure Casement like any city based stadium will have problems but it seems to work in hundreds of football grounds in the UK strangely enough
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clonian

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2023, 01:23:24 PM

Agree!

You have two supermarkets nearby with plenty parking on Sundays, you have train station and regular bus services, the motorway is on the door step of the pitch. Yes there are no fields to park on wet days, or no major roads leading into it,  pathetic toilet facilities or covered stands, I get that ;D

I'm sure Casement like any city based stadium will have problems but it seems to work in hundreds of football grounds in the UK strangely enough

You'd hope there's a bit of planning ahead on the parking - it was never the easiest to get parked at but never that bad either. Traffic wise it wasn't much different than any morning heading into Belfast so it should be ok.

The semi final was the first time I was in Clones for a big game since having kids and it's a kip. The weather on the day didn't help granted but it's so dated. If you're between 16 and 30 it's a good session but the GAA needs more than that. Has all the GAA development money went elsewhere since the 90s? Heading out the back of the east terrace and it was in gutters. A few load of bitmac doesn't cost that much.

armaghniac

Agree!

The supermarkets will block entry to their carparks on match days. There is one train per hour carrying perhaps 400 people on Sunday. The motorway is OK once you get on to it, but you could be going to Newcastle some cúnt in Lisburn might just leave a package on a flyover and close the whole thing. 

There is no doubt that covered stands are definitely an improvement and the jacks will be better, there might even be wi-fi.  But if Casement were not built these would be in Clones too.

There are stadia in other places, but Casement is relatively far from Belfast city centre. The city centre commercial car parks are over an hour away on foot, in contrast in Croke Park there are 3 or 4 big car parks within 20 minutes and a shed load of car parks within 30 minutes walk.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Was at the balmoral show the other day.

If folks are going to advocate for transport as the principal reason for Casement over Clones, then you'd have to say, the Maze over Casement makes far more sense.

- Greenfield site is cheaper to develop on
- Loads of parking
- Right on the motorway
- No planning issues
- No/Less issues around noise pollution for concerts

i usse an speelchekor

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2023, 01:56:07 PM
Was at the balmoral show the other day.

If folks are going to advocate for transport as the principal reason for Casement over Clones, then you'd have to say, the Maze over Casement makes far more sense.

- Greenfield site is cheaper to develop on
- Loads of parking
- Right on the motorway
- No planning issues
- No/Less issues around noise pollution for concerts

It would but that is a not going to be a runner and let's not get into that argument again. If it's a green field site you are after instead of Clones then the Maze site isn't it.

lurganblue

I was pleasantly surprised with traffic going to Monaghan after the game.  Obviously i didnt hang around on the pitch for too long. The guards were not letting traffic come into the town from about 2 miles out and we could exit on the 2 lanes. Directed through Monaghan town too.  I'd a far worse experience for the Down game.

I dont have good memories of traffic at Casement on big days.  Parking up on the M1.  I'm sure it will continue to have it's challenges.

Champion The Wonder Horse

I have never had to park more than 200 yards from Casement Park when going to a match there.

There are also other routes that can be used apart from the two motorways. I've never had more than about fifteen minutes added to my journey by coming down Hannahstown or the Glen Road.

trailer

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 01:44:46 PM

Agree!

The supermarkets will block entry to their carparks on match days. There is one train per hour carrying perhaps 400 people on Sunday. The motorway is OK once you get on to it, but you could be going to Newcastle some cúnt in Lisburn might just leave a package on a flyover and close the whole thing. 

There is no doubt that covered stands are definitely an improvement and the jacks will be better, there might even be wi-fi.  But if Casement were not built these would be in Clones too.

There are stadia in other places, but Casement is relatively far from Belfast city centre. The city centre commercial car parks are over an hour away on foot, in contrast in Croke Park there are 3 or 4 big car parks within 20 minutes and a shed load of car parks within 30 minutes walk.

There'll be trains and park and ride buses. It will be better served by public transport. Clones has none of this.
There will be a match day plan in place as well involving the PSNI and others.
Other Stadia in Belfast manage, Kingspan and Windsor.

smort

Quote from: lurganblue on May 16, 2023, 02:33:46 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with traffic going to Monaghan after the game.  Obviously i didnt hang around on the pitch for too long. The guards were not letting traffic come into the town from about 2 miles out and we could exit on the 2 lanes. Directed through Monaghan town too.  I'd a far worse experience for the Down game.

I dont have good memories of traffic at Casement on big days.  Parking up on the M1.  I'm sure it will continue to have it's challenges.

I thought I remembered us parking on the motorway hard shoulder when I was a nipper. Also remember being behind the goals at the Andersonstown Rd end and seeing the M1 at a standstill

Traffic and parking will definitely need addressing

smort

Quote from: trailer on May 16, 2023, 03:07:18 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 01:44:46 PM

Agree!

There'll be trains and park and ride buses. It will be better served by public transport. Clones has none of this.
There will be a match day plan in place as well involving the PSNI and others.
Other Stadia in Belfast manage, Kingspan and Windsor.

Think Windsor and Kingspan only hold around 18,000. A lot more will be attending casement, and a lot more who rely on cars