Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 15, 2023, 11:15:43 PM
How often is the new stadium in Cork used?

Saw a stat a while back that it has crowds of over 30k only 5 times since it opened and the two times it got a full crowd were for a soccer testimonial and a rguby game.

Capacity of 45k.

The debt is killing Cork GAA and will for years to come - for the biggest/second biggest GAA county the number of coaches employed is nothing short of a scandal.

All the pre-building chat was that the new stadium would be a money-maker for Cork GAA has been proved to be hot air and the stadium management basically admitted last year that it's unlikely to turn a profit any time soon.

The fact that Cork GAA haven't managed to get any sponsor to buy the naming rights to the stadium despite the fact that they have been trying to sell them since before the refurb was completed is fairly damming.

PuC is a massive example for Casement but it seems the powers that be in Ulster are determined to ignore the obvious pitfalls.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 16, 2023, 10:58:48 AM

Saw a stat a while back that it has crowds of over 30k only 5 times since it opened and the two times it got a full crowd were for a soccer testimonial and a rguby game.

Capacity of 45k.

The debt is killing Cork GAA and will for years to come - for the biggest/second biggest GAA county the number of coaches employed is nothing short of a scandal.

All the pre-building chat was that the new stadium would be a money-maker for Cork GAA has been proved to be hot air and the stadium management basically admitted last year that it's unlikely to turn a profit any time soon.

The fact that Cork GAA haven't managed to get any sponsor to buy the naming rights to the stadium despite the fact that they have been trying to sell them since before the refurb was completed is fairly damming.

PuC is a massive example for Casement but it seems the powers that be in Ulster are determined to ignore the obvious pitfalls.

By that reckoning nearly all new stadiums wouldn't make much money. Would Croke break even?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2023, 08:41:26 PM

Capacity of 45k.

By that reckoning nearly all new stadiums wouldn't make much money. Would Croke break even?

Croke Park makes money - there's absolutely no comparison between the crowds that Croke Park gets in a year compared to what PuC gets.
Casement's potential attendences are far more likely to be similar to what PuC gets as opposed to anything Croke Park gets.
There's also the fact that Croke Park can sell corporate boxes off the back of All-Ireland finals and semi-finals.
Cork's efforts to see "corporate" tickets supposedly failed miserably.
I'd be expecting the demand in Belfast for corporate boxes to be far closer to PuC than Croke Park.
Casement might as well be called PuC Version 2.0 given all the similarities between the two projects.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

On the football side, PUC needs a competitive Cork team, which it doesn't have.
On the hurling side, Thurles gets most of the big games in Munster.

Casement is smaller and you could easily envisage combinations of games to fill it.
There is a walk up crowd in Belfast, the Armagh v Derry semi in 2005 had 27,000 in Casement, and Derry wouldn't have provided that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on April 16, 2023, 11:00:35 PM

On the football side, PUC needs a competitive Cork team, which it doesn't have.
On the hurling side, Thurles gets most of the big games in Munster.

Casement is smaller and you could easily envisage combinations of games to fill it.
There is a walk up crowd in Belfast, the Armagh v Derry semi in 2005 had 27,000 in Casement, and Derry wouldn't have provided that.

I really don't think there is. There wouldn't be enough interest in GAA in belfast to generate massive crowds as antrim games would show you. Armagh well supported and likely brought a load plus I imagine more accessible for a lot of more northern supporters.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 17, 2023, 10:20:23 AM
I really don't think there is. There wouldn't be enough interest in GAA in belfast to generate massive crowds as antrim games would show you. Armagh well supported and likely brought a load plus I imagine more accessible for a lot of more northern supporters.

By "Belfast" I include areas which are in Down, people living out around Forestside etc.
There are quite a few people of country origin around Belfast or their parents were. I would have cousins living there who would have an association with Armagh as their Da was from there, I suspect they would go to the new Casement if Armagh were there, but might necessarily go to Clones.
I think that people never got the culture of going to county games in Antrim; people of Tyrone, Armagh, Down  origin in Belfast do have that culture.

Walter Cronc

Numbers wise 3 of the biggest clubs in Ulster are in greater Belfast. Carryduff, Glengormley and Bredagh. All 3 very much grown by outsiders moving and settling in Belfast. I'd agree with the last post on those people going to a new Casement to support their home county.

weareros

If Casement gets built, it could surely host some big national games too, games where the life gets sucked out of the atmosphere in 70% empty Croker. That said, Paschal seems already pissed that the Euros in Dublin will be a money loser and aghast at suggestions Irish gov contribute to Casement, so unless London ups the £62m grant, GAA will have to build whatever 77m can afford, which would still be a nice little stadium but not a 35,000 seater.

Cavan19

Quote from: weareros on April 17, 2023, 10:49:21 AM
If Casement gets built, it could surely host some big national games too, games where the life gets sucked out of the atmosphere in 70% empty Croker. That said, Paschal seems already pissed that the Euros in Dublin will be a money loser and aghast at suggestions Irish gov contribute to Casement, so unless London ups the £62m grant, GAA will have to build whatever 77m can afford, which would still be a nice little stadium but not a 35,000 seater.

It's a pity that this Stadium if it gets built and the new one in Cork are so far away from so many counties.  Apart from Croke Park they will be in the best stadiums in the Country but due to there locations are going to be a hard sell for use as neutral grounds for the All-Ireland series and possible league finals. 

Casement will probably never see a big knockout hurling championship game due to the distance it is away from the top hurling counties and cork probably wont be used regularly for big Football games either. 

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on April 17, 2023, 10:49:21 AM

The problem for Casement and Páirc Uí Chaoimh is that they are not central, you can't play a game between Kerry and Mayo or Galway and Kilkenny there while everyone can get to Dublin.

Upandover

Close enough to alot of potential sam maguire winners though, you would envisage it could be neutral grounds for dublin, tyrone, armagh, derry etc.

Its 4 hours from tipp, kilkenny but teams could travel a day early as seen in games versus antrim, we live in a small country.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 16, 2023, 10:43:48 PM
Would concerts be a revenue like most big venues?

You'd probably get some but in Cork PuC has had the advantage that there has been very little in the way of competition in terms of other potential concert venues.

Also I'd imagine the residents around Casement would be strongly opposed to concerts and kick up a fuss plus I'm not sure how keen the PSNI would be on it as a concert venue.

I did see an article last week saying that some muscial acts were bypassing Ireland as other countries were more profitable.

Concerts would be a possible revenue stream but it wouldn't be a guaranteed one to rely on more of a bonus if possible and it's tough to know just how profitable they would be.

There was a fair bit of talk before PuC was built about it revitalising the GAA in Cork city and about it potentally taking games from Croker.

The whole providing a boost for the GAA in Cork just didn't happen and I don't think a new stadium is going to suddenly attract thousands of folk to attending matches weekly/joining a club/picking up an O'Neills or a hurl. You might get some folk along to take a look at the new stadium but that will probably be the limit.

With the new championship structure, the neutral games in the group stages would look an obvious possibility for Ulster teams but I doubt it will get any from outside Ulster.

I'm not opposed to building Casement. Work out what size of stadium makes the most sense and then build that as opposed to just going and building the biggest possible capacity that is legally allowed.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU