Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 13, 2023, 07:55:22 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on April 12, 2023, 11:41:23 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 12, 2023, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 12, 2023, 10:54:34 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on April 12, 2023, 08:31:45 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 12, 2023, 06:13:11 PM
I'm not sure that the process being hoped for here has anything to do with the DUP. To my mind, the original £62 million is sitting there for this stadium and I'm assuming the GAA will stump up their £15 million. The planning approval is in place.

The extra money is never going to come from Stormont but possibly from another body who are pushing for the Euro bid.

What is it you think the DUP could object to? The release of the £62 million?

Speaking of money ,  I Just heard that  Biden was in the north 17 hours  and it cost £17 million .  Who's paying  for that?   At the same time,  police  numbers are to be reduced . That's a lot of police officers salaries there

17m is   about a  seventh of the 120m (so I hear) of casement cost

It's   funny   That money can be found when  it's  needed , yet they can't give  nurses a raise , nor find money for  kids meals
Madness. Assume that comes from Stormonts budget? Madness.

The figure widely quoted was £7million, not £17million.

That's £7million out of ~£14billion. Or, about 0.05% of annual spend. Some would say that's fairly cheap for getting the leader of the world's largest economy into town for the night.

That's great   ::)

£7m or £17m , it hardly matters. An  absurd amount  of money, and  for what?  So  that some people can stand in the  rain  to wave  at a man in a car with blacked out  windows?
Would love to see a break down of that spend, can't get my head around how you could spend so much for so little time.

Apparently, there were 3000 cops involved. And they didn't just land in Tuesday morning and start throwing a plan together. Very easy to see how costs add up with that number of people involved over a period of weeks (including over a couple of O/T accruing bank holidays).

Anyone so focussed on (relatively minute) cost that they can't see the potential upside of such a visit is either being deliberately contrary, or is just a bit obtuse.

Anyway, the cops will probably get most of the money back from Westminster through some convoluted funding mechanism for visits by foreign dignitaries.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

rrhf

I'm not sure that the process being hoped for here has anything to do with the DUP. To my mind, the original £62 million is sitting there for this stadium and I'm assuming the GAA will stump up their £15 million. The planning approval is in place.

The extra money is never going to come from Stormont but possibly from another body who are pushing for the Euro bid.

Speaking of money ,  I Just heard that  Biden was in the north 17 hours  and it cost £17 million .  Who's paying  for that?   At the same time,  police  numbers are to be reduced . That's a lot of police officers salaries there

It's   funny   That money can be found when  it's  needed , yet they can't give  nurses a raise , nor find money for  kids meals

That's £7million out of ~£14billion. Or, about 0.05% of annual spend. Some would say that's fairly cheap for getting the leader of the world's largest economy into town for the night.

£7m or £17m , it hardly matters. An  absurd amount  of money, and  for what?  So  that some people can stand in the  rain  to wave  at a man in a car with blacked out  windows?
Would love to see a break down of that spend, can't get my head around how you could spend so much for so little time.
The beast takes some amount of fuel to fill..

Armagh18

Quote from: rrhf on April 13, 2023, 12:14:46 PM

The beast takes some amount of fuel to fill..
Would a drop of red not have done rightly lol

Milltown Row2

They mentioned on Ulster radio the other day that most of the money is claimed back from the Whitehouse, so thanks Gmac/Whitey  :D Least your tax is being used wisely over here...... for once
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

What are the chances that Eng and Irl win this bid? Up against Turkey, minimal oversight there. Grease a few palms.

FWIW Casement should absolutely be built and Stormont or UK GOV should fund the shortfall. End of Story. For years the north has been neglected in terms of investment. Time the balance was redressed.

armaghniac

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 13, 2023, 12:55:24 PM
I agree. They should fund us another £62 million on top of the £62 million they already gave us. Then we can make a balls of our project again and go back for another £62 million. Keep doing this until we have all the money we deserve. I'm sure they'll agree.

No, we should do our job properly and build the thing, even if previous efforts have been a disgrace.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Last effort at building sthing (Dungiven by pass) properly over here, opened just last week, a year late, overspend and that bad, they wouldn't release any information about it. Hardly an endorsement to give some local Joe Blogg's contractor to built a stadium. Effort  before, the Ulster University, millions overspend and finished 2yrs+ late.

trailer

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 13, 2023, 03:59:01 PM
Last effort at building sthing (Dungiven by pass) properly over here, opened just last week, a year late, overspend and that bad, they wouldn't release any information about it. Hardly an endorsement to give some local Joe Blogg's contractor to built a stadium. Effort  before, the Ulster University, millions overspend and finished 2yrs+ late.

At this point we need to accept that it will be late and 100m over budget. Incompetence reigns in NI. Civil Servants and other not for profit bodies seem to have some sort of magnet in attracting unemployable gobshites.

Sportacus

They literally ran out of money.  As soon as we entered a new financial year they paid up and the contractor lifted the cones.  That's how bankrupt we are.  Place is a basket case, but SF will have their green projects and DUP will have their orange projects, and it'll all be cap in hand to London.

Walter Cronc

Now we've the NI supporters club not backing casement as host ground. No surprise there. Any nationalist that supports or plays for that rabble needs their head examined!

pbat

The UU project was a shambles from start to the current day. I'm currently doing a day a week in it with the School of Build Environment and the standard of finish, the leaks, electrical issues are ridiculously. They gave it out to a Portuguese contractor, yet they're in partnership with Graham's, Farran's and McAleer & Rushe to take placement students every year. If I was any of them companies I know i'd be telling them were to go when they come cap in hand looking sponsorship or placements. 

marty34

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 13, 2023, 08:21:05 PM
Now we've the NI supporters club not backing casement as host ground. No surprise there. Any nationalist that supports or plays for that rabble needs their head examined!

Unionism saying no to everything.

Saffsof82

Quote from: trailer on April 13, 2023, 05:05:10 PM

At this point we need to accept that it will be late and 100m over budget. Incompetence reigns in NI. Civil Servants and other not for profit bodies seem to have some sort of magnet in

attracting unemployable gobshites.

Not just here, look at that mess across the water with HS2 ffs

marty34

Quote from: Saffsof82 on April 13, 2023, 11:25:11 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 13, 2023, 05:05:10 PM

At this point we need to accept that it will be late and 100m over budget. Incompetence reigns in NI. Civil Servants and other not for profit bodies seem to have some sort of magnet in

attracting unemployable gobshites.

Not just here, look at that mess across the water with HS2 ffs

And the new Children's Hospital in the 26 counties.

Seems to be the norm these days.

X is the cost but you'll have to add Y to it.

trailer

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 13, 2023, 05:55:23 PM
You can accept that it is going to be £100 million over budget if you wish but there will be many that won't. They won't see it as a good investment of £162 million. They won't see that incompetence deserves to be rewarded and they won't agree to it and politely ask the GAA to lump it. Those are people with influence at Stormont and it's hard to say that they are wrong. Indeed, if this was an IFA project, I suspect you might think differently.

I would to be fair. But Rugby and Soccer got the exact stadiums they wanted.