Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/02/02/relief-as-gaa-finances-back-on-track-with-record-revenues-for-2022/

There is also a figure of €14 million on the GAA balance sheet going toward the £15 million commitment to Casement Park in Belfast, a much delayed project that has climbed in projected cost to between €120 million and €140 million.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

square_ball

So Casement Park submitted in the list of 10 stadiums to host Euro 2028. . .

Cahair O'Kane tweeting that for Euro 2024 any new stadium must have started the building 4 years before the tournament starts meaning the spade will have to be in the ground at Casement by June 2024. I would be pleasantly surprised if this happened.

ck

Is there a timescale in place at the moment or what is the latest roadblock?

dec

Some strange stadium choices for the Euro bid

Croke Park is bigger than the Aviva
Casement doesn't exist
Old Trafford is bigger than Etihad
New Everton stadium doesn't exist

Manning18

Quote from: dec on April 12, 2023, 03:17:37 PM
Croke Park is bigger than the AvivaCasement doesn't existOld Trafford is bigger than EtihadNew Everton stadium doesn't exist

I think its reasonable enough. London's the only city with two stadiums and its about 10 times bigger than Dublin. Croker isnt a good experience for a Soccer game at all either, the pitch is far too big. The assumption is that Croker will get Casement's games if Casement isn't built in time.

Old Trafford is likely to be getting redeveloped in 2028. Everton's planned stadium looks great and Liverpool as a city was always going to get games, and half of Anfield is very behind the times. That Everton stadium is already half complete

Baile Brigín 2

Croke Park is bigger than the AvivaCasement doesn't existOld Trafford is bigger than EtihadNew Everton stadium doesn't exist

Not really. London as final city gets 2 venues. The FAI were never going to use Croker ahead of their own ground.

Old Trafford and Anfield are quite dated, regardless of size.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Manning18 on April 12, 2023, 03:25:38 PM

I think its reasonable enough. London's the only city with two stadiums and its about 10 times bigger than Dublin. Croker isnt a good experience for a Soccer game at all either, the pitch is far too big. The assumption is that Croker will get Casement's games if Casement isn't built in time.

Old Trafford is likely to be getting redeveloped in 2028. Everton's planned stadium looks great and Liverpool as a city was always going to get games, and half of Anfield is very behind the times. That Everton stadium is already half complete

Why would Dublin get a 2x venue derogation? Edinburgh or any number of English cities could fill the gap

square_ball

I don't think it will be Croke Park to replace Casement if it doesn't get built in time. UEFA don't allow the use of temporary seating for tournament stadiums. Though in saying that is Casement going to be an all seater?

armaghniac

Quote from: square_ball on April 12, 2023, 03:41:54 PM
I don't think it will be Croke Park to replace Casement if it doesn't get built in time. UEFA don't allow the use of temporary seating for tournament stadiums.

That would not be a reason not to have Croke Park, it would still have more seats than most venues.
It appears that they only want one venue per city.

Casement needs to get a move on.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Manning18

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 12, 2023, 03:34:41 PM

Why would Dublin get a 2x venue derogation? Edinburgh or any number of English cities could fill the gap

I'm just going by what I've seen from Journalists on twitter. I'd assume if Casement can't make it then it's seen that logically games fixed for Ireland would remain on the island.

But anyway, that wouldn't be a decision made until such a scenario arose and it's surely extremely likely Casement gets sorted now that theyve been named, which is great. The UK government has to give substantial backing to it now. Should be full steam ahead

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Manning18 on April 12, 2023, 03:51:41 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 12, 2023, 03:34:41 PM

I'm just going by what I've seen from Journalists on twitter. I'd assume if Casement can't make it then it's seen that logically games fixed for Ireland would remain on the island.

But anyway, that wouldn't be a decision made until such a scenario arose and it's surely extremely likely Casement gets sorted now that theyve been named, which is great. The UK government has to give substantial backing to it now. Should be full steam ahead

Scotland x1, Wales x1, Ireland x1, 6c x1, Englandshire the rest. If Casement isn't ready the 6c falls out and Sheffield, Leeds, Sunderland or somewhere falls in.

But I assume something is happening in the background for it to be named full stop.

Also Old Trafford was withdrawn as it is due for a refurbishment in 2028

square_ball

Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2023, 03:47:58 PM
I don't think it will be Croke Park to replace Casement if it doesn't get built in time. UEFA don't allow the use of temporary seating for tournament stadiums.

That would not be a reason not to have Croke Park, it would still have more seats than most venues.

Appreicate that but a 3/4 full stadium wouldn't be the image UEFA would be after for their big competition.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: square_ball on April 12, 2023, 04:02:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 12, 2023, 03:47:58 PM

Appreicate that but a 3/4 full stadium wouldn't be the image UEFA would be after for their big competition.

We were all bewildered as to why Croker was ever in contention. It was removed as expected.

Walter Cronc

They'll tear down Old Trafford and rebuild it before Casement is done. Can never see it getting built at this rate. The DUP will just block and block

Kidder81

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 12, 2023, 05:26:18 PM
They'll tear down Old Trafford and rebuild it before Casement is done. Can never see it getting built at this rate. The DUP will just block and block

It's not just the DUP, GAA going to stump up their share ? There will need to be some back scratching at Stormont with the DUP for some of their "projects" to get them onside.