Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 11:27:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2022, 11:18:32 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 09:11:01 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 22, 2022, 09:01:10 PM
Sure you can fire a game or 2 in that stadium built in Cork
Where are you putting the 20,000 extra seats?

I would be astonished if the terracing was not designed so that seats could be placed there.

And I'd be equally as astonished if it was and more if it was allowed

It is hardly rocket science to consider seating. Why should it not be allowed? was there not seating on Hill16 when Croke Park was used for soccer?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2022, 12:05:20 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 11:27:20 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 22, 2022, 11:18:32 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 09:11:01 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 22, 2022, 09:01:10 PM
Sure you can fire a game or 2 in that stadium built in Cork
Where are you putting the 20,000 extra seats?

I would be astonished if the terracing was not designed so that seats could be placed there.

And I'd be equally as astonished if it was and more if it was allowed

It is hardly rocket science to consider seating. Why should it not be allowed? was there not seating on Hill16 when Croke Park was used for soccer?

15 years ago on a temporary basis and inly for some games IIRC

If Dublin gets 2 stadia, maybe, maybe not. But dealing with the Hill is different to PUC which is well short of the 30,000 seats to start with. Seating the terracing might not get the magic number.

Wildweasel74

How come there so little seating there given the cost of the stadium. With material in general up 30% and steel & Aluminium about 50% the cost of the stadium I say you could add £10 Million to previous estimates for Casement Park. Am not excately all on for paiding for a, stadium that may be full 3 games tops in a year if we lucky. And a few concerts. I do feel for residents in relation to concerts but they deliberately stretched things out to delay anything been done. And things have skyrocketed. I lost all sympathy for them. I remember been there in 1992 and 35k at it for Down V Derry. So it's not as if a crowd around 30k+ hasn't attended Casement before.

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 11:31:47 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 22, 2022, 09:59:41 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 22, 2022, 09:09:45 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 22, 2022, 08:53:31 PM
Indeed [the FAI are] not even providing a stadium...    ....seeing as how the IRFU effectively owns the AVIVA.
Try that again...
When the stadium was rebuilt, along with the government, the FAI and IRFU both put up funding in return for a share of the receipts from their respective events. I can't remember what the split was, but I do know the FAI needed/chose to borrow their share against future ticket sales etc.

Meanwhile, at the end of the 50 year agreement, stadium ownership would revert to the IRFU, which is not so unfair as it might seem, since they own the freehold and 50 years is generally considered to be the working life of a sports stadium, after which it will have to be rebuilt again.

Which was all hunky dory until the crash of 2008/09, premium tickets sales for the FAI slumped and the debts rose.

Then when Delaney was finally ousted and the FAI got a proper look at the accounts, they were revealed to be in deep doo-doo (accountant's term)i, the only way the FAI could avoid bankruptcy was by selling their sole real "asset" i.e. their stake in the AVIVA :
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-chiefs-admit-liquidation-possible-21181196

I'm not sure of the exact details, but I'm fairly sure the IRFU played hard ball by declining to buy out the FAI's stake - they were sitting pretty as it was, still are in fact.

While the government was also reluctant, since they were already putting enough money in just to keep the lights on, they didn't want to have to put up any more public money on behalf of an organisation which still might fail.

That was nearly 2 1/2 years ago and I don't know exactly how the FAI got themselves out of the bind they were in, since it was all kept very hush hush. But a quick google reveals the following - I'm not a Times subscriber, but the headline looks to give a good steer:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rugby-hold-aviva-stadium-dublin-spccx0ngh

The split was 50/50, as it remains. They both own the building but the egg chasers own the land. Standard enough The Times article breathlesslytells us what's in the piblic domain.

I thought politicans were pushing for the also broke IRFU to buy the FAI out rather than it be a serious solution.

I don't think it's hush hush. There was a book and tv show. They refinanced the mortgage on LR and were less aggresdive with the repayment schedule.
Unusually for you, mostly correct except the FAI only have a 50 year lease on the stadium as EG stated, not a 50% ownership.

But good to have EG (temporarily) suspend whatever lingers from historic dna embedded unionist privilege and throw his weight behind "Let's get Casement built now"  albeit for IFA self interest.

Rossfan

Very catty Main St :P
Seems Turkey and fkn Russia have applied to hold the thingy now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LCohen

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on March 23, 2022, 05:49:47 PM
Indeed [the FAI are] not even providing a stadium...    ....seeing as how the IRFU effectively owns the AVIVA.
Try that again...
When the stadium was rebuilt, along with the government, the FAI and IRFU both put up funding in return for a share of the receipts from their respective events. I can't remember what the split was, but I do know the FAI needed/chose to borrow their share against future ticket sales etc.

Meanwhile, at the end of the 50 year agreement, stadium ownership would revert to the IRFU, which is not so unfair as it might seem, since they own the freehold and 50 years is generally considered to be the working life of a sports stadium, after which it will have to be rebuilt again.

Which was all hunky dory until the crash of 2008/09, premium tickets sales for the FAI slumped and the debts rose.

Then when Delaney was finally ousted and the FAI got a proper look at the accounts, they were revealed to be in deep doo-doo (accountant's term)i, the only way the FAI could avoid bankruptcy was by selling their sole real "asset" i.e. their stake in the AVIVA :
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/fai-chiefs-admit-liquidation-possible-21181196

I'm not sure of the exact details, but I'm fairly sure the IRFU played hard ball by declining to buy out the FAI's stake - they were sitting pretty as it was, still are in fact.

While the government was also reluctant, since they were already putting enough money in just to keep the lights on, they didn't want to have to put up any more public money on behalf of an organisation which still might fail.

That was nearly 2 1/2 years ago and I don't know exactly how the FAI got themselves out of the bind they were in, since it was all kept very hush hush. But a quick google reveals the following - I'm not a Times subscriber, but the headline looks to give a good steer:

The split was 50/50, as it remains. They both own the building but the egg chasers own the land. Standard enough The Times article breathlesslytells us what's in the piblic domain.

I thought politicans were pushing for the also broke IRFU to buy the FAI out rather than it be a serious solution.

I don't think it's hush hush. There was a book and tv show. They refinanced the mortgage on LR and were less aggresdive with the repayment schedule.
Unusually for you, mostly correct except the FAI only have a 50 year lease on the stadium as EG stated, not a 50% ownership.

But good to have EG (temporarily) suspend whatever lingers from historic dna embedded unionist privilege and throw his weight behind "Let's get Casement built now"  albeit for IFA self interest.

50 year lease on the land, 50% ownership of the building on said land. Why would the FAI have a mortgage on a lease?

RadioGAAGAA

This white elephant still going ahead?

Have they wised the head with the spec yet?
i usse an speelchekor

Evil Genius

Eh?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

LCohen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 24, 2022, 09:22:40 AM
Try that again...

50 year lease on the land, 50% ownership of the building on said land. Why would the FAI have a mortgage on a lease?

Because they needed one presumably

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LCohen on March 24, 2022, 10:57:31 PM
Try that again...

If you buy an apartment do you get ownership of the land it's built on?

LCohen

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 25, 2022, 12:55:57 PM
Try that again...

No. You can still get a mortgage secured loan though

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LCohen on March 25, 2022, 01:57:30 PM
Try that again...

No. You can still get a mortgage secured loan though

Ok.... Relevance here?

LCohen

Try that again...

Relevance here?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: LCohen on March 25, 2022, 03:12:48 PM
Try that again...

Relevance here?

If the FAI don't own half of LR, nobody owns their apartment. Because it's the exact same construct