Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pub Bore

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 07, 2022, 04:19:07 PM
Anyhow, this is the real reason I popped onto the forum.

A while back, the Englsih FA decided that they wanted to stage the 2030 World Cup Finals - it is Europe's turn after all, though FIFA is doing all it can to take it elsewhere.

Anyhow, to make their bid more attractive (and ensure 4 extra votes), they investigated a joint bid by all four "home" nations, plus ROI.

But now that it appears that that was never going to succeed due to the politics of football (both small "p" and large "P"), they've decided to withdraw and opt for the 2028 European Finals instead, for which they must have a decent chance.

The problem for NI being that if we are to host games, the 18k capacity at Windsor isn't big enough, nor can/will it be be expanded to the 30k minimun requirement.

Meaning that although they've not said so explicitly, the IFA is clearly hoping that Casement will be completed and available in time to step in - more here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60288998

Thoughts anyone?

The only game I would like to see at Casement would be NI v. Eng - The two sets of fans could fight each other and then the locals could fight both sets of fans. 

On a more serious note, if feckers like Garth Brookes and Bono can strut around Croke Pk generally being wankers then I don't see why top class sportsmen of any code shouldn't play at Casement.

rrhf

Quote from: Pub Bore on February 08, 2022, 12:05:10 PM

A while back, the Englsih FA decided that they wanted to stage the 2030 World Cup Finals - it is Europe's turn after all, though FIFA is doing all it can to take it elsewhere.

Anyhow, to make their bid more attractive (and ensure 4 extra votes), they investigated a joint bid by all four "home" nations, plus ROI.

But now that it appears that that was never going to succeed due to the politics of football (both small "p" and large "P"), they've decided to withdraw and opt for the 2028 European Finals instead, for which they must have a decent chance.

The problem for NI being that if we are to host games, the 18k capacity at Windsor isn't big enough, nor can/will it be be expanded to the 30k minimun requirement.

Meaning that although they've not said so explicitly, the IFA is clearly hoping that Casement will be completed and available in time to step in - more here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60288998

Thoughts anyone?

The only game I would like to see at Casement would be NI v. Eng - The two sets of fans could fight each other and then the locals could fight both sets of fans. 

On a more serious note, if feckers like Garth Brookes and Bono can strut around Croke Pk generally being wankers then I don't see why top class sportsmen of any code shouldn't play at Casement.
I think to be fair most people with a sporting interest would love to see it built.  Fair play to you Evil Genius...

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2022, 07:06:22 PM
It's bad enough for the loyalists to have to put up with a conspiratorial cabal of nationalist civil servants, an abundance of gaa jerseys in Queens, nationalists demanding equality,  but the line in the sand is nationalists getting more from the subvention. And if it's the GAA , hell no, that goes against the fiundamental grain of institutionalized Unionist privilege.

You don't need to be a unionist to think it's a bizarre situation to reward the GAA's failure with more money and relaxed planning in order to get a soccer tournament played in a location that hasn't a stadium capable of hosting a soccer tournament.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 11, 2022, 10:56:54 AM
It's bad enough for the loyalists to have to put up with a conspiratorial cabal of nationalist civil servants, an abundance of gaa jerseys in Queens, nationalists demanding equality,  but the line in the sand is nationalists getting more from the subvention. And if it's the GAA , hell no, that goes against the fiundamental grain of institutionalized Unionist privilege.

You don't need to be a unionist to think it's a bizarre situation to reward the GAA's failure with more money and relaxed planning in order to get a soccer tournament played in a location that hasn't a stadium capable of hosting a soccer tournament.

You're entirely right about that first bit but it wouldn't be uncommon for Governments to subsidise the development of Stadia in an attempt to secure an international event, think Man Citys stadium for the commonwealth games and also West ham at the London Olympics stadium, everyone is a winner in that regard.

On a slightly different issue I only realised that the Ballymena showgrounds are owned and maintained by the local council(ratepayers) as was Inver park in Larne up until the last few years. I wonder what rent they'd be paying and is there any other clubs out there availing of such local council generosity?

Orior

Quote from: Pub Bore on February 08, 2022, 12:05:10 PM

Thoughts anyone?

lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Rossfan

Quote from: johnnycool on February 11, 2022, 03:26:53 PM

You're entirely right about that first bit but it wouldn't be uncommon for Governments to subsidise the development of Stadia in an attempt to secure an international event, think Man Citys stadium for the commonwealth games and also West ham at the London Olympics stadium, everyone is a winner in that regard.

On a slightly different issue I only realised that the Ballymena showgrounds are owned and maintained by the local council(ratepayers) as was Inver park in Larne up until the last few years. I wonder what rent they'd be paying and is there any other clubs out there availing of such local council generosity?
Derry City, Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sherbourne....
Soccer free stuff as usual ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

michaelg

Many local sports clubs hire council facilities. Never mind the rent they are paying, what are they getting for the money they are paying when the pitch, for example at Ballymena, does not appear to be terribly well maintained, and key games have to be postponed as a result.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on February 11, 2022, 06:46:54 PM

Derry City, Shamrock Rovers, Bohemians, Sherbourne....
Soccer free stuff as usual ::)

And every French, Italian and German club, loads of Spanish, Polish and so on. It's standard across Europe. The soccer club as anchor tenents subsidising the mixed use facilities.

Stop looking at soccer exclusively through a British lens.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Soccer was held out of Celtic Park when dcfc needed a home , went to Buncrana to play .
Local clubs in city were asked to support Derry city , our club na Magha gave full support, others didnt

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on February 13, 2022, 11:47:24 PM
Soccer was held out of Celtic Park when dcfc needed a home , went to Buncrana to play .
Local clubs in city were asked to support Derry city , our club na Magha gave full support, others didnt

Celtic park cannot just be given to Derry city. Did any of these clubs put a motion in Congress that it should be?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: michaelg on February 11, 2022, 11:50:46 PM

Many local sports clubs hire council facilities. Never mind the rent they are paying, what are they getting for the money they are paying when the pitch, for example at Ballymena, does not appear to be terribly well maintained, and key games have to be postponed as a result.

We can't hire a GAA pitch from ND & Ards BC because they don't have one so it's all new to me.  ;)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2022, 12:27:13 AM

Celtic park cannot just be given to Derry city. Did any of these clubs put a motion in Congress that it should be?

wasn't to be given, was proposed shared loan period, I don't think congress were consulted in time but it would not have mattered to some clubs anyhow, they were not for raising official motion anyhow

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on February 14, 2022, 12:27:13 AM

And we are back to the old argument. Why should the Derry County Board need congress approval to rent out their facilities?

We then get into mental territory that Ballygunnar 'won' funding for an indoor soccer pitch for the area, as deemed needed, but are excluding soccer from it while paying to maintain a soccer facility.

Hound

Parnells in Dublin have a fine soccer pitch that they rent out to local soccer.

I've never checked the veracity of this, but a Parnells member told me they are allowed to do it because it was a condition of planning when they built their facilities.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on February 14, 2022, 04:39:51 PM
Parnells in Dublin have a fine soccer pitch that they rent out to local soccer.

I've never checked the veracity of this, but a Parnells member told me they are allowed to do it because it was a condition of planning when they built their facilities.

More and more of that is happening as the Department become less embedded. Ultimately that's why the Liam Miller game was held in PUC.

Think of the facilities we as a country could have had if the French model was used