Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 29, 2021, 05:17:00 PM
There is a problem here, also seen in the A5, that the Stormont authorities are not capable of following their own regulations. So while the revised design of Casement, which is a big improvement IHMO, might meet the objections the whole thing could fall on a technicality.
As has been suggested before, the GAA should discuss the possibility of giving the site for Traveller housing and a drug rehabilitation centre and go elsewhere.

This. This is the problem. It's also the problem with Croker and the locals. For an organisation that prides itself on community, the local community are never engaged with and the attitude is f**k em.

How come other sports never get these objections?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 04, 2021, 12:47:38 AM
There is a problem here, also seen in the A5, that the Stormont authorities are not capable of following their own regulations. So while the revised design of Casement, which is a big improvement IHMO, might meet the objections the whole thing could fall on a technicality.
As has been suggested before, the GAA should discuss the possibility of giving the site for Traveller housing and a drug rehabilitation centre and go elsewhere.

This. This is the problem. It's also the problem with Croker and the locals. For an organisation that prides itself on community, the local community are never engaged with and the attitude is f**k em.

Did the residents of Lansdown road complain about the concerts and the new development?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffronaldo

I totally understand why residents don't want this on their doorstep. From an Antrim GAA point of view I honestly feel they should have looked to another location. The traffic problems alone should have rendered casement a non-viable option.

armaghniac

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 09:52:51 AM
I totally understand why residents don't want this on their doorstep. From an Antrim GAA point of view I honestly feel they should have looked to another location. The traffic problems alone should have rendered casement a non-viable option.

The stadium has been there for over 60 years. It isn't really on to choose to live beside a stadium, a railway line or whatever and then campaign to have it closed down or crippled in its operation.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Saffronaldo

Quote from: armaghniac on November 04, 2021, 10:56:43 AM

The stadium has been there for over 60 years. It isn't really on to choose to live beside a stadium, a railway line or whatever and then campaign to have it closed down or crippled in its operation.

I get that but at the same time the proposed change in use means there will be a marked increase in antisocial behaviour so I understand the concerns.

I just think the GAA would have been better off selling the land and starting afresh somewhere with less traffic congestion and no chance of residential complaints.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2021, 09:24:51 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 04, 2021, 12:47:38 AM

Did the residents of Lansdown road complain about the concerts and the new development?

Initially yes. But they are on board now. Compare and contrast.

Baile Brigín 2

Are you chosing to ignore the proposed change in use? From a  handful of Sunday aftermoons to concerts at night

BennyCake

Yes , but  you can understand when that thing is going to be enlarged, built higher or whatever. Some of us. Might live next a supermarket, leisure centre or school , and if there were plans to increase them, build higher so it blocks light, erect bright floodlights etc, we'd be mighty pissed off

Milltown Row2

You'd wonder how all those soccer stadiums in the UK cities ever managed get going
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2021, 10:17:09 PM
You'd wonder how all those soccer stadiums in the UK cities ever managed get going

Be like Liverpool and buy all the houses round you.

But yes, when you see a lot of those stadiums planted right in the middle of rows and rows of terrace houses you'd wonder how many would be allowed under new planning laws..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on November 05, 2021, 09:32:47 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 04, 2021, 10:17:09 PM

Be like Liverpool and buy all the houses round you.

But yes, when you see a lot of those stadiums planted right in the middle of rows and rows of terrace houses you'd wonder how many would be allowed under new planning laws..

Everton and Liverpool are less than a mile away from each other, Dundee and Dundee utd are on each others doorsteps! Surely if these clubs in built up area's are able to function safely every week then what sort of issues will a ground like Casement provide, once the safety issues are resolved? 

6th sam

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 04, 2021, 11:08:45 AM

I get that but at the same time the proposed change in use means there will be a marked increase in antisocial behaviour so I understand the concerns.

I just think the GAA would have been better off selling the land and starting afresh somewhere with less traffic congestion and no chance of residential complaints.
The problem with selling it now , is that it's worth has dropped considerably given the planning concerns. Ie who would buy if they thought they were likely to have 10 years of planning arguments ?
I think arguments around safety, light etc in the new stadium are valid , but can't be insurmountable given the precedents set elsewhere . I think BB's point re the GAA having their fair share of these planning issues is well made, and should be explored , but Bb , I don't think it's all one way . There is a small body of deep seated antagonism towards the GAA (eg anti-Irish, anti GAA values, jealousy, in the midst of some understandable constructive criticism ) which other organisations don't suffer to the same extent . In the midst of valid residents arguments , it's incredulous that an anti-GAA agenda doesn't feature to a greater or lesser extent.

Saffronaldo

I don't think you'd have many planning objections if it was turned into housing or retail development. The objections are mainly about floodlights, antisocial behaviour, parking concerns, etc.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffronaldo on November 05, 2021, 02:30:39 PM
I don't think you'd have many planning objections if it was turned into housing or retail development. The objections are mainly about floodlights, antisocial behaviour, parking concerns, etc.

Been to Andytown much? Antisocial behaviour and parking is not the best in many urban cities tbf, floodlights will be on for 2 hours and only at night for a handful of games.

Can anyone break down the actual usage that Casement will get that will have a profound affect on the residents. Floodlights have been approved for the old Casement so I'm confused on that one

Evil Genius

These arguments about floodlights, anti-social behaviour, disruption to residents etc are all very well, but with a bit of compromise and communication (and money!), they could probably be resolved.

But if it wasn't possible to evacuate the original 38k planned capacity quickly and safely in the event of an emergency, I fail to see how they can now get 34k out, when the original estimate from the safety experts was barely half that.

Which is what MORA will surely be concentrating on for their appeal.

Still, the delay which that appeal will surely cause will at least give the GAA more time to figure out how to raise the money needed should the 34k stadium eventually pass.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"