Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 04, 2020, 07:59:19 AM
Quote from: trileacman on March 03, 2020, 11:47:27 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 03, 2020, 11:45:35 PM
Quote from: Art Mc Crory's Sofa on March 03, 2020, 11:20:48 PM
What was the 15mill spent on at Thurles?

Actually the total upgrade cost €18m done in 2 tranches starting in the late naughties

And what was it spent on?

I'm open to correction, but I believe the bulk went on the roof over the main stand, which is the side where the TV cameras are based. If that is the case, I always felts it looked like a pretty poor return for such an investment.

Of course it was a poor return on the investment just like every other recent development by the GAA. Either Irish builders are crap or there is a huge amount of creaming off by people with these developments

Pairc ui Chaoimh cost AT LEAST 110million and what do you have one nice stand and 3 other sides that look almost identical to the ones that were just knocked down and they looked f**king dated when they were first built in the seventies

Its like spot the difference

Cant be bothered finding a 110 million development in UK or Europe but off the top of my head here is the Juventus stadium redeveloped at the same time for 150 million. Now to me thats a massive difference in quality for 40 million.

It was the same with McHale that new stand was built at the same time for the same capacity for the same money as the new Leicester rugby stand.

Like ffs the one at Castlebar has posts holding up the roof

Bit of a pattern going on - something seriously dodgy

For the ones talking about pumping the money into Clones could you imagine the state of the cow shed they would build costing something ridiculous.

clonadmad

Actually the total upgrade cost €18m done in 2 tranches starting in the late naughties

I'm open to correction, but I believe the bulk went on the roof over the main stand, which is the side where the TV cameras are based. If that is the case, I always felts it looked like a pretty poor return for such an investment.

None of it went on the roof on the old stand,that was done about 25 years ago

I've listed out where the €18m went

clonadmad

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 04, 2020, 09:36:30 AM

Of course it was a poor return on the investment just like every other recent development by the GAA. Either Irish builders are crap or there is a huge amount of creaming off by people with these developments

Pairc ui Chaoimh cost AT LEAST 110million and what do you have one nice stand and 3 other sides that look almost identical to the ones that were just knocked down and they looked f**king dated when they were first built in the seventies

Cant be bothered finding a 110 million development in UK or Europe but off the top of my head here is the Juventus stadium redeveloped at the same time for 150 million. Now to me thats a massive difference in quality for 40 million.

It was the same with McHale that new stand was built at the same time for the same capacity for the same money as the new Leicester rugby stand.

For the ones talking about pumping the money into Clones could you imagine the state of the cow shed they would build costing something ridiculous.

Was just going to mention the Juventus Stadium,it's actual construction cost was €120,the land cost was extra.

For €110m PuC is a 1970's style stadium with no Hawkeye.

When the Italians with their attendant "overheads" make you look wasteful,you know your in trouble

trailer

Quote from: clonadmad on March 04, 2020, 10:12:46 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 04, 2020, 09:36:30 AM

Was just going to mention the Juventus Stadium,it's actual construction cost was €120,the land cost was extra.

For €110m PuC is a 1970's style stadium with no Hawkeye.

When the Italians with their attendant "overheads" make you look wasteful,you know your in trouble

Ach sure incompetence reigns North and South. It's always been that way.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on March 03, 2020, 09:41:36 PM
I think you should get on board with the project. The time for arguing is over.

I don't understand this mindset.

"Yeah, you think its a massive mistake but you need to ignore your opinion and support it".

No. Casement as envisaged was a mistake 5 years ago, its a mistake today and it'll still be a mistake in 10 years time.

i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 04, 2020, 11:19:39 AM

"Yeah, you think its a massive mistake but you need to ignore your opinion and support it".

No. Casement as envisaged was a mistake 5 years ago, its a mistake today and it'll still be a mistake in 10 years time.

In YOUR opinion. The vast majority of gaels in the North don't feel this way.

five points

Quote from: trailer on March 04, 2020, 11:29:53 AM

::)

RadioGAAGAA

Regardless of whether that were true - and I'm not in any way agreeing with you that the majority think it should be built as was intended....

That does not counter the point. Basically your post wants folks to surrender their own thoughts on the matter and not just align with thoughts of someone else's choosing, but support it, despite their own contrary opinion.
i usse an speelchekor

Evil Genius

I cannot say how many "gaels" (GAA fans?) support this latest proposal or not.

But I'm tempted to ask, if it is a "vast majority", why don't you stump up the extra £33m yourselves?

Surely the taxpayer should also have a say in this, since we are contributing £62m? (The "we" includes GAA fans, of course)

I should add that even if it seems a lot, I have no objection to the £62m, which the GAA must be entitled to spend as they wish on a new stadium providing, of course, that it meets the same legal and safety requirements as every other new project of its type.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Taylor

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 04, 2020, 12:40:09 PM

But I'm tempted to ask, if it is a "vast majority", why don't you stump up the extra £33m yourselves?

Surely the taxpayer should also have a say in this, since we are contributing £62m? (The "we" includes GAA fans, of course)

I should add that even if it seems a lot, I have no objection to the £62m, which the GAA must be entitled to spend as they wish on a new stadium providing, of course, that it meets the same legal and safety requirements as every other new project of its type.

The £62m has already been agreed so that is already sorted - no one should have further say in it as it was agreed by Stormont in the same way the amount was agreed for the other stadia.

The £33m is absolutely a sticking point and I for one think the GAA should change the size of the project so that £33m isnt needed regardless of where it comes from.

I dont believe Stormont should be paying anything over and above the £62m

Milltown Row2

The vast majority do stump up for Croke every week, they go to games, through the gate and through their club association and other things Croke gets plenty to pay for things
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2020, 12:58:22 PM

The £62m has already been agreed so that is already sorted - no one should have further say in it as it was agreed by Stormont in the same way the amount was agreed for the other stadia.

The £33m is absolutely a sticking point and I for one think the GAA should change the size of the project so that £33m isnt needed regardless of where it comes from.

What I meant was, the taxpayer should have a say in the request for extra £33m (or any other figure in excess of the agreed funding), in which case, this taxpayer is saying "No".

Agree completely with the rest of your post.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 04, 2020, 01:27:10 PM

The vast majority do stump up for Croke every week, they go to games, through the gate and through their club association and other things Croke gets plenty to pay for things
I'm not sure what you mean. By "Croke", do you mean the GAA? If so, the GAA also receives other regular funding from both governments, in recognition of all the other things the Association does. Same for football and rugby too.

But Casement is a separate, stand-alone project, with the funding of it separate and stand-alone from normal, annual budgets etc.

On which point, the three codes have each received an allocation which, whilst uneven, most would accept as being fair and proportionate.

That being so, if the other two codes could get on with it and complete their chosen project within their allocated budget, why cannot the GAA do likewise?

More importantly, why should the GAA get extra funding just because they've screwed up their own project? Why reward failure, incompetence and hubris?

If there is extra money available (there's not), surely it should go to the two other codes for managing their affairs properly or, better still, to other sports which do not receive anything like these sums eg https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/51725152

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Taylor

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 04, 2020, 01:44:40 PM

What I meant was, the taxpayer should have a say in the request for extra £33m (or any other figure in excess of the agreed funding), in which case, this taxpayer is saying "No".

Got it - thought you meant a say in the £62m.

In reality though, given the shitstorm coming with Corona and given the limitations in what Stormont assumed the british government were giving and what is actually coming I would think there is little to no chance of any extra money being given.

Means the two options left are change the size of Casement or the GAA pays the additional money.

johnnycool

Quote from: Taylor on March 04, 2020, 02:03:58 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 04, 2020, 01:44:40 PM

Got it - thought you meant a say in the £62m.

In reality though, given the shitstorm coming with Corona and given the limitations in what Stormont assumed the british government were giving and what is actually coming I would think there is little to no chance of any extra money being given.

Means the two options left are change the size of Casement or the GAA pays the additional money.

Strangely this may be the cheapest and best option for the GAA.

Submitting yet another plan for a stadium of reduced capacity with estimated build costs of £77M will probably take another two years to complete and pass all the approvals needed and by that stage there'll be an overrun in costs which the GAA will end up picking up anyway and you're left with an inferior stadium.

Funnel some of the money made from selling off part of Clonliffe College to Casement shouldn't hurt the coffers too much..

I think I speak for everyone in the world on this, including gaels of all tribes especially those in Newtownards.     :D