Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

If the GAA put money in to a stadium in Belfast then they might put comparative money in to the second city to that they put in the first city.   

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
Are more people playing GAA in the country now than there were 10 years ago?

At a senior level I'd doubt it. In Kildare for example, a county with good population growth most clubs that had 3 or 4 senior teams are down to 2 and 3. Some of the bigger town clubs might be up a bit and underage is strong enough but there definitely is a massive drop off from lads in their mid 20's especially. This is evident also in the collapse in attendances.

ONeill

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on October 26, 2016, 11:21:51 PM
Quote from: ONeill on October 26, 2016, 10:14:26 PM
Are more people playing GAA in the country now than there were 10 years ago?

At a senior level I'd doubt it. In Kildare for example, a county with good population growth most clubs that had 3 or 4 senior teams are down to 2 and 3. Some of the bigger town clubs might be up a bit and underage is strong enough but there definitely is a massive drop off from lads in their mid 20's especially. This is evident also in the collapse in attendances.

Then, the question is, why invest in another big flagship ground when there are already so many in Ulster that never fill out, bar one massive game in Clones? When was the last time Omagh, Newry, Cavan or Armagh were filled? Maybe it'll be like the Catholic Church...you show your wealth and people will follow.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theskull1

For the record redhand the old casement had a terrible atmosphere as well. Far too far away from the pitch.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theskull1 on October 26, 2016, 11:54:24 PM
For the record redhand the old casement had a terrible atmosphere as well. Far too far away from the pitch.

That depends on the game, been to a lot of Ulster championship games, which didn't have Antrim playing and the supporters that came generated great atmosphere with around 30 thousand at the games, seems to me that it's just Antrim folk who can't generate support or atmosphere when watching their county team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

I'm agreeing with you MR. That's the problem. Even when's it on the door step Antrim doesn't have the fan base and (to address an earlier comment made elsewhere) , would only improve 5-15% tops if we found ourselves going well, so WE in Antrim will be playing in a Stadium which is totally unsuitable (to the point I think it will dampen enthusiasm) and our County Board are actually happy about it.
I can't see their logic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: theskull1 on October 27, 2016, 10:00:16 AM
I'm agreeing with you MR. That's the problem. Even when's it on the door step Antrim doesn't have the fan base and (to address an earlier comment made elsewhere) , would only improve 5-15% tops if we found ourselves going well, so WE in Antrim will be playing in a Stadium which is totally unsuitable (to the point I think it will dampen enthusiasm) and our County Board are actually happy about it.
I can't see their logic

Whats the alternative then Skull? 15k stadium in Belfast for Antrim and provincial stadium say in Armagh? As has been previously mentioned I think the money had to be spent in one pop in Belfast. Like any side the fans will follow if success is there. Its up to the GAA to properly invest in Belfast/Antrim!

armaghniac

I can't see their logic

Antrim have profoundly underachieved at county level for years. If they performed as they should, then their games would not be dead rubbers, and while the new stadium might not full it would attract a lot more. They need a push forward to try and get some interest going.  Where is the spirit that got Casement built in the first place 60 years ago?

The old Casement was also pretty large, so I doubt if the new one will have any material effect on enthusiasm.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

What would be the Nationalist population of Antrim incl Belfast these days?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2016, 11:21:21 AM
What would be the Nationalist population of Antrim incl Belfast these days?

According to wiki:

Belfast - 330k (Prob around 55% nationalist)
County Antrim - 615k (No idea 60/40 split possibly)

Rossfan

Maybe 350-400k so?
Even allowing for soccer and Castle Catholics Antrim should be  a pretty big force on the playing fields and terraces.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
Maybe 350-400k so?
Even allowing for soccer and Castle Catholics Antrim should be  a pretty big force on the playing fields and terraces.

North Antrim is virtually all hurling. Football popular in SW Antrim and in West Belfast. That's about it. I'll leave the Antrim lads to comment but the figures wouldn't be high.

theskull1

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 27, 2016, 10:08:47 AM
I can't see their logic

Whats the alternative then Skull? 15k stadium in Belfast for Antrim and provincial stadium say in Armagh? As has been previously mentioned I think the money had to be spent in one pop in Belfast. Like any side the fans will follow if success is there. Its up to the GAA to properly invest in Belfast/Antrim!

Look I'm arguing that in the first place, Antrim county board should have represented the view early doors that a newly built Casement to a spec sought by the UC was gonna be way too big for their club and IC requirements, so if Casement was being deemed by the UC as the best location to spend the pot of gold, then Antrim would have to look for somewhere else to ply their trade. I don't think that would have been a difficult argument to win. Some agreement could have been made at that time (with the UC and Croke Park) to look into delivering a suitably sized "Owenbeg like stadium" that within 5-10 years at a location that would maximise attendances for the local game.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2016, 11:36:41 AM
Maybe 350-400k so?

Castle catholics are all too common in Antrim.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Who's to say the new Casement won't be the catalyst for a surge in interest in Antrim?