Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Minder on October 25, 2016, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 25, 2016, 09:44:29 AM
So far I'm really impressed with the design. The bowl is the sensible option ensuring all attendees are fully covered. Hopefully it meets the needs of the local residents and acts as a catalyst to improve the area of Andytown.!

Whats wrong with Andytown? It's not exactly Divis

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I mean in terms of investment, schools using the facilities etc.

bannside

Well done to all involved. Lessons were learned from the first fiasco and this indeed looks like a superb facility.

As long as Antrim have an adequate deal that ensures some realistic ownership and an arrangement that means it can be financially sustainable in the long term, then great.

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2016, 10:07:37 PM
And, of course.....as long as there are no health & safety concerns being either hushed or completely ignored in order to get a stadium up.

What health & safety concerns?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on October 25, 2016, 10:22:06 PM
And, of course.....as long as there are no health & safety concerns being either hushed or completely ignored in order to get a stadium up.

Ask Caral

johnneycool

The evacuation, the Andytown road is the only exit route or has something changed?

rrhf

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2016, 10:24:51 PM

Exactly
Must be exciting to see all the impressive changes from last time...

theskull1

All I see now when I look at plans for Casement is an Ulster Council pitch. It'll be totally unsuitable for hosting club championship and national league matches. That part isn't playing any part in the narrative I see. Money talks and to he'll with the consequences for Antrim AFAICS
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Brick Tamlin

What exactly are the consequences for Antrim. And what do ye mean by an Ulster Council pitch?
Maybe im naïve here but is it not a good thing that the province will be getting a first class stadium?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: johnneycool on October 25, 2016, 11:02:54 PM

The evacuation, the Andytown road is the only exit route or has something changed?

Could be wrong but I think the new design incorporates a bowl like concourse which may aid evacuation. Still one exit seems risky!

JPGJOHNNYG

The concourse will improve circulation/evacuation. The plan seems to show a new exit onto Owenvarragh and the GAA looks like they have bought the waste ground that opens onto stockmans lane. Apart from the exit down near the roundabout at kennedyway/M1 all paths ultimately lead to Andersonstown Road. This is not ideal but I guess in an emergency situation (fire etc) there are enough side streets now that can be accessed for spectators to move to. I am surprised they havent strategically bought houses to provide more exits to evacuate the stadium more quickly as this seemed to be one of the main issues with the original design or even bought a couple of houses to allow access to the leisure centre for extra flow in an emergency situation

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on October 26, 2016, 09:26:08 AM

The concourse will improve circulation/evacuation. The plan seems to show a new exit onto Owenvarragh and the GAA looks like they have bought the waste ground that opens onto stockmans lane. Apart from the exit down near the roundabout at kennedyway/M1 all paths ultimately lead to Andersonstown Road. This is not ideal but I guess in an emergency situation (fire etc) there are enough side streets now that can be accessed for spectators to move to. I am surprised they havent strategically bought houses to provide more exits to evacuate the stadium more quickly as this seemed to be one of the main issues with the original design or even bought a couple of houses to allow access to the leisure centre for extra flow in an emergency situation

I never realised there was such room for parking facilities around the stadium. I assume those are adjacent to the M1 side?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 26, 2016, 09:46:39 AM

I never realised there was such room for parking facilities around the stadium. I assume those are adjacent to the M1 side?

The picture below suggests there are some parking places round the back/M1 side

armaghniac

If everything going to Andersonstown Road is an issue, it should be possible to provide some sort of access to Rivderdale and so to Finaghy Rd N. There is a small park between Owenvarragh and Riverdale, even if it is necessary to buy one house and remove it.

https://goo.gl/maps/Z1oo8scUDZp

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Walter Cronc

I suppose a footbridge across the M1 would be shocking expensive? It would have to be fit to accommodate a breadth of 10-12 people to be of any use!

theskull1

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on October 26, 2016, 08:49:34 AM
What exactly are the consequences for Antrim. And what do ye mean by an Ulster Council pitch?
Maybe im naïve here but is it not a good thing that the province will be getting a first class stadium?

From Ulster footballs perspective, its great (I suppose ... although I'm not convinced that its a big deal) they will have a first class stadium to hold big matches. Thats what it is being designed for.
From Antrims perspective, the size of the stadium will be too big for their support base and I fully expect a poor atmosphere for club championship and national league matches, that will do nothing for the promotion of the game IMO.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera