Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie

1. There won't be that much traffic at Antrim matches
2. Don't know but if "they" are the Ulster Council then it needs to point out to our government that its' hands are tied to an extent. It can only give Antrim GAA 11% support, it being one 9th of our province.

Personally I think it's dead in the water and the message is 'take yer bogball elsewhere' resonates.  Why go somewhere where you're not wanted?

Ronnie

Antrim can only be considered 1 of 9 because that's the way the GAA constitute themselves.  The site might be worth a few pounds? So what?

3. The government must consider what is best for the people of Northern Ireland. Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal are irrelevant.

angermanagement

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2016, 11:16:22 PM
Two points.
1. The amount of housing that has sprung up on the Glen Road in recent years is already putting it under traffic pressure.
2. How much would it cost to buy the required land at St. Pat's home, keeping in mind that they are getting Casement Park for nothing?

1. Yes during the week it can be busy, but the Andersonstown Road is always busy when they close it for matches as was the plan in the new Casement the Glen Road would be gridlock regardless where the stadium was.

2. God knows, don't even know who owns it, from what I can see the Antrim County Board just handed over their prize assett for nothing. Antrim GAA is owed so much by the Ulster Council and a white elephant on the Andersonstown Road is of no benefit to the locals, Antrim Gaels or The Ulster Council.

I'm sure the architect & solicitor fees already spent on Casement would've covered it. Add in the new costs of the next Judicial Review and the new stadium plans you could've built a stadium in South Belfast for less.

Ronnie

Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2016, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: Ronnie on May 27, 2016, 12:10:41 AM
Antrim can only be considered 1 of 9 because that's the way the GAA constitute themselves.  The site might be worth a few pounds? So what?

3. The government must consider what is best for the people of Northern Ireland. Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal are irrelevant.
So what? The worth of the site isn't a kick in the balls of what the GAA have pledged to the project. In relation to the Casement project, why should Antrim accept a similar standing to counties who have offered nothing to the new stadium?

So you think Antrim GAA should be paid £Xm for the site and then, whenever a provincial ground is built somewhere, they should pay back £Ym as their contribution whenever they want to use it.  As a percentage how many £s have Antrim generated for the Ulster Council?  Stormont doesn't care how many GAA heads there are in Belfast.  As a priority where would the GAA feature in a straw poll of residents anywhere in Belfast?  Way way down the pecking order.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 25, 2016, 01:22:09 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 25, 2016, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 25, 2016, 09:27:19 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 25, 2016, 07:31:38 AM
38K seater is TOTALLY wrong for Antrims needs. I think there is widespread agreement on that?
What does it say about our CB when they appear to be ignoring this fact and have jumped on the bandwagon rather than look for solution(s) that have our long term interests at the heart of their thinking?

Are the county board fully onside with a 38k seater stadium?

The Spotlight programme was shite.  Nothing new in it except planting the mistaken idea in people's heads that the GAA are going to knock their houses down.

I know they want a redeveloped Casement and they support the Ulster council .... so I'm 'assuming' they'd be happy with a 30K+ seater stadium. Please clear that up for me if you've something to suggest otherwise. Happy to admit I'm not close to the action on it other than picking up on social media feeds

Antrim need a stadium to suit their own fanbase with decent facilities and protection from the elements on one side of the pitch only ... like Owenbeg. We need nothing more than that.

To play in a top notch 30K+ seater stadium will be horrible for anyone playing with or watching Antrim. County finals will be the same .... give me atmosphere over a prawn sandwich any day
The likes of McGeehan won't be near the place for an Antrim county final so he'll only see it when it's a football final and pretty full. Glass of champagne before your prawn sandwich, sir?

Aye, McGeehan is well known for serving champagne with prawn sandwiches at the Ballinderry Shamrocks meetings he chairs. You're well named.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on May 27, 2016, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 25, 2016, 01:22:09 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 25, 2016, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 25, 2016, 09:27:19 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on May 25, 2016, 07:31:38 AM
38K seater is TOTALLY wrong for Antrims needs. I think there is widespread agreement on that?
What does it say about our CB when they appear to be ignoring this fact and have jumped on the bandwagon rather than look for solution(s) that have our long term interests at the heart of their thinking?

Are the county board fully onside with a 38k seater stadium?

The Spotlight programme was shite.  Nothing new in it except planting the mistaken idea in people's heads that the GAA are going to knock their houses down.

I know they want a redeveloped Casement and they support the Ulster council .... so I'm 'assuming' they'd be happy with a 30K+ seater stadium. Please clear that up for me if you've something to suggest otherwise. Happy to admit I'm not close to the action on it other than picking up on social media feeds

Antrim need a stadium to suit their own fanbase with decent facilities and protection from the elements on one side of the pitch only ... like Owenbeg. We need nothing more than that.

To play in a top notch 30K+ seater stadium will be horrible for anyone playing with or watching Antrim. County finals will be the same .... give me atmosphere over a prawn sandwich any day
The likes of McGeehan won't be near the place for an Antrim county final so he'll only see it when it's a football final and pretty full. Glass of champagne before your prawn sandwich, sir?

Aye, McGeehan is well known for serving champagne with prawn sandwiches at the Ballinderry Shamrocks meetings he chairs. You're well named.
Ballinderry. Famously not in Antrim. Do call again.

NAG1

Quote from: Ronnie on May 27, 2016, 12:44:58 AM
Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2016, 12:17:46 AM
Quote from: Ronnie on May 27, 2016, 12:10:41 AM

So what? The worth of the site isn't a kick in the balls of what the GAA have pledged to the project. In relation to the Casement project, why should Antrim accept a similar standing to counties who have offered nothing to the new stadium?

So you think Antrim GAA should be paid £Xm for the site and then, whenever a provincial ground is built somewhere, they should pay back £Ym as their contribution whenever they want to use it.  As a percentage how many £s have Antrim generated for the Ulster Council?  Stormont doesn't care how many GAA heads there are in Belfast.  As a priority where would the GAA feature in a straw poll of residents anywhere in Belfast?  Way way down the pecking order.

I think what HS is getting at is that 'WE' as in Antrim gaels are being asked to give up our county ground, for a new stadium which we have no say in how it is run, when our games will be played in it and all the access issues that will go with a modern stadium.

So excuse us for getting a bit irate about this, but we are looking for the best deal for Antrim first, the rest of Ulster can get in line after that. Belfast has been neglected for years by the GAA and now that they have been given some money they just want to ride rough shod over Antrim's best interests in all of this. Well I am sorry but I for one wont be fooled by all the shiny new consultation efforts.

theskull1

Quote from: NAG1 on July 01, 2016, 09:00:25 AM
Well I am sorry but I for one wont be fooled by all the shiny new consultation efforts.

How many are though? Antrim officialdom is in bed with the whole process rather than being the ears and voice for the wider Antrim club membership as far as I can see. Dissenting voices are just being ignored.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

NAG1

Quote from: theskull1 on July 01, 2016, 09:06:27 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 01, 2016, 09:00:25 AM
Well I am sorry but I for one wont be fooled by all the shiny new consultation efforts.

How many are though? Antrim officialdom is in bed with the whole process rather than being the ears and voice for the wider Antrim club membership as far as I can see. Dissenting voices are just being ignored.

I am a dissenting voice in that I want what is best for Antrim Hurling/ Football and our development first, after that then other considerations can come in to play. But if the primary objective isnt achieved then the rest in BS.

rashCharacter

Quote from: orangeman on July 01, 2016, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2016, 01:19:10 AM
http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/07/01/news/new-road-closure-powers-for-psni-in-casement-park-plans-586063/

Where there's a will there's a way.

"Existing legislation does not permit the PSNI to pre-plan to close roads to facilitate events in or on a public road. Therefore an event plan should not assume that this can occur."

Surely the PSNI close roads regularly to facilitate marches and things like that on a regular basis

armaghniac

Quote from: rashCharacter on July 01, 2016, 12:37:01 PM
Quote from: orangeman on July 01, 2016, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2016, 01:19:10 AM
http://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/07/01/news/new-road-closure-powers-for-psni-in-casement-park-plans-586063/

Where there's a will there's a way.

"Existing legislation does not permit the PSNI to pre-plan to close roads to facilitate events in or on a public road. Therefore an event plan should not assume that this can occur."

Surely the PSNI close roads regularly to facilitate marches and things like that on a regular basis

I suppose the issue is that they can close the road to facilitate something on the road, be it a sectarian march or a cycle race. In this case, the event is not on the road but access is from the road. Big events in Britain and Ireland normally have some closed roads, it says something about NI life that they felt they didn't need this before now.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

St Galls are hosting West Belfast Talks GAA at the clubs rooms on Monday evening at 7.45pm as part of the festival... our guest speakers will be Paraic Duffy, Donegal ex player Devenney, Sambo and Pete McGrath ... Obviously plenty to talk about with Casement, player welfare, hurling and football well covered
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea