Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I'm disillusioned with the west Belfast location and the lack of goodwill shown which has turned this into a political football. If the people don't want a sports stadium or will be a continuous thorn in event planning it is time to move on. I feel some sympathy for Antrim gaa people but they have to show they deserve it and are serious about their ambitions in the city and county. Zero evidence except for the recent coup at county board, that as a county they are serious about development.  Why should they get a gift wrapped stadium from others and I mean taxpayers and The rest of the gaa who will maintain the running costs. The underlying problem points to  a division 3 approach to their development within the gaa and that is the danger which could leave this a white elephant. To plant a stadium within a community who appear to be anti gaa at worst is probably wrong for that community and wrong for the gaa strategically. No shame it hasn't worked, let the stadium be a force for good in dungannon.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on March 12, 2016, 11:33:28 AM
The stadium is not going to Dungannon. People will not travel to Dungannon to see One Direction.
The stadium is not being built for Antrim GAA people. Indeed, we actually lose out in this land grab. Yes, we might get to play our inter-county championship games there, if it suits. Thanks a bunch.
It is nice to see that highlighting serious oversights in health and safety is being put down as "lack of goodwill".
Yiz hate the gah up there. Too busy stealing culchie's cars and sniffing glue  :-\

general_lee

Couldn't be more condescending if you tried rrhf. A hell of a lot more Antrim clubs have competed in all ireland senior finals and semifinals than tyrone. Why are they any less entitled to have a modern 
stadium than Armagh, Newry, Derry, Omagh etc?

rrhf

Apology County not clubs. Clubs don't need the stadium.

Maguire01

The idea that a stadium in Dungannon would hold concerts is ridiculous. The big promoters aren't booking 40,000 capacity concerts in the middle of nowhere.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 12, 2016, 11:08:51 PM
The idea that a stadium in Dungannon would hold concerts is ridiculous. The big promoters aren't booking 40,000 capacity concerts in the middle of nowhere.

Was this money given to MCD or the GAA?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Ireland's not that big y'know. 40 miles from Belfast to Dungannon. And Newell Stores are deadly.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on March 12, 2016, 11:16:27 PM
Ireland's not that big y'know. 40 miles from Belfast to Dungannon. And Newell Stores are deadly.

Dungannon is a shit hole, not happening there or anywhere else, and why people keep bringing up outside Belfast venues is on crack :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2016, 11:11:33 PM

The GAA are not concert promoters. Any gigs in Croke Park have been MCD or Aiken. That's how it works.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2016, 12:08:41 AM

The GAA are not concert promoters. Any gigs in Croke Park have been MCD or Aiken. That's how it works.

So if the GAA are not concert promoters who shouldn't the stadium suit GAA people?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

This is actually getting boring now, as Hardstation says West Belfast (Casement Park) or nothing. Wont happen anywhere else so no point in talking about it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rrhf

I have feck all interests in concerts but sane must make money and its in Meath. Hard station talked of concerts in this thing for the last4 years. Dungannon can be the first gaa hospitality village. Hasn't a credible rival,

BennyHarp

Quote from: illdecide on March 13, 2016, 12:34:39 AM
This is actually getting boring now, as Hardstation says West Belfast (Casement Park) or nothing. Wont happen anywhere else so no point in talking about it.

Surely there must be some sort of legal case to be made that disputes the arrangement whereby the money has to be spent on that particular plot of land? If that particular plot is already costing a ridiculous amount of money even before a sod it turned, then surely there is grounds to dispute the allocation of money being tied to that particular site. I think the desperation from some quarters to plough on with this at Casement restricts any sort of debate about abandoning the scheme and moving on to a meaningful discussion about a (most likely cheaper) alternative elsewhere. The argument of Casement or nowhere is getting boring as this drags on and on and on. I think it's time that the option of somewhere else was at least investigated and the legality of the decision to ensure its Casement or nowhere is questioned!
That was never a square ball!!

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on March 13, 2016, 12:19:25 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 13, 2016, 12:08:41 AM

So if the GAA are not concert promoters who shouldn't the stadium suit GAA people?
I don't understand that.

Maguire01

Quote from: rrhf on March 13, 2016, 07:34:55 AM
I have feck all interests in concerts but sane must make money and its in Meath. Hard station talked of concerts in this thing for the last4 years. Dungannon can be the first gaa hospitality village. Hasn't a credible rival,
Slane isn't a purpose built venue - it's a field - it doesn't need concerts, or anything else, to justify its existence. And Dungannon isn't Slane Castle. Even then, Slane isn't even averaging one concert a year. Basically my point is that you don't decide where to build a GAA ground on the basis of attracting big concerts, because it's just not going to be a big reliable earner.