Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BluestackBoy on July 23, 2015, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: Sidney on July 19, 2015, 07:57:04 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 19, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Clones looking well today.
Ulster final day in Clones should have a preservation order attached to it.

Hurling people talk about Munster hurling final day in Thurles being special. Ulster football final day in Clones is just as special and to do away with it forever in favour of moving to a soulless flat-pack cavern in Belfast would, in my view, be an act of desecration.

Agreed. I have been going to Clones for over 40 years & while it certainly isn't the last word in sophistication, the atmosphere on a big day can't be beaten.

If we move to a soulless all seater modern concrete stadium on the Falls Rd we will lose something that will be very hard to replace.

Is Croke park soulless?  Casement to be built to a mini version of Croke... If its built, I'm sure like most stadiums of a similar style in all the major cities around the world, it will be grand... Given half the chance Clones would change if given free money
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DermyTDredi

Antrim deserves better - and to be better represented on their county board. For what its worth, I think that the local residents were treated poorly over the whole thing - there is such a lack of humility shown from the Ulster Council execs, and it is their arrogance which has caused this mess...riding over the top of experts in health and safety and the local community.

Antrim football needs better investment at underage and schools level as much as it needs casement...Clones, pair Esler, Athletic Grounds, Brefini, Brewster - are all class stadia....and all underused....even celtic park on a bright day...healy is another story all together....
A modest casement park and the rotation of the ulsterfinal between Clones and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

When you have people like feeny running around suffering from small man syndrome, bullying and telling lies, its hardly surprising that the locals and other stakeholders will rare up

Maguire01

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2015, 06:00:16 PM

Hurling people talk about Munster hurling final day in Thurles being special. Ulster football final day in Clones is just as special and to do away with it forever in favour of moving to a soulless flat-pack cavern in Belfast would, in my view, be an act of desecration.

Agreed. I have been going to Clones for over 40 years & while it certainly isn't the last word in sophistication, the atmosphere on a big day can't be beaten.

If we move to a soulless all seater modern concrete stadium on the Falls Rd we will lose something that will be very hard to replace.

Is Croke park soulless?  Casement to be built to a mini version of Croke... If its built, I'm sure like most stadiums of a similar style in all the major cities around the world, it will be grand... Given half the chance Clones would change if given free money
It's not the stadium that's soulless in relation to Casement, it's the location.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 23, 2015, 06:26:58 PM

It's not the stadium that's soulless in relation to Casement, it's the location.

You e been to Croke park before? You have walked around it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

What's the craic with the St Malachys Twitter account Hardstation?

You would think it was a Twitter account for St Malachys club but it continually gets retweeted by the Antrim Twitter feed as it's always telling us we have to "rebuild Casement". It nearly makes it too obvious

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

rrhf

Don't know if that's the case and 5 minutes of that video above gives a fascinating insight into what could come across as a thinly veiled anti gaa  mentality in an extreme manifestation.  Not saying everyone in the anti casement plans campaign thinks like this because there are undoubtedly legitimate fears but this action group appear to have chosen  their leader so what do they want people to think after watching this.
.Fundamentally the spokesman as he is entitled to do puts across a very negative feeling about the gaa and casement appears to be just another notch on the bedpost.  I'd advise people.to watch and form their own opinion..maybe it's right that we nail our colours to the mast so fair play of that is the case as it brings his honesty to the debate about a provincial sized stadium in West Belfast. 

Maguire01

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2015, 10:03:57 PM

The comparison is with Clones. I've been to big games at Casement. Little or no atmosphere around the ground. I don't see how a new stadium will change this.

babarino

Quote from: DermyTDredi on July 23, 2015, 06:04:36 PM
Antrim deserves better - and to be better represented on their county board. For what its worth, I think that the local residents were treated poorly over the whole thing - there is such a lack of humility shown from the Ulster Council execs, and it is their arrogance which has caused this mess...riding over the top of experts in health and safety and the local community.

Antrim football needs better investment at underage and schools level as much as it needs casement...Clones, pair Esler, Athletic Grounds, Brefini, Brewster - are all class stadia....and all underused....even celtic park on a bright day...healy is another story all together....
A modest casement park and the rotation of the ulsterfinal between Clones and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

When you have people like feeny running around suffering from small man syndrome, bullying and telling lies, its hardly surprising that the locals and other stakeholders will rare up

Agree...mostly. Certainly this has been a top down driven project, which isn't the GAA way. Or at least it wasn't until the corporatists took over.

Unless there are big rabbits pulled out of hats with A'town locals, it's going to be a reduced capacity Casement, of 25,000. Clones holds significantly more at present, but is far from all-seater. I was able to take the family to the final last weekend for €52, which was good value. That won't be the case in Casement, if they're are to exceed or come close to the revenue taken last weekend.

It's all about the money. The club/parish/county ethos is being scrapped. .

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: babarino on July 24, 2015, 08:42:09 AM
Quote from: DermyTDredi on July 23, 2015, 06:04:36 PM

Agree...mostly. Certainly this has been a top down driven project, which isn't the GAA way. Or at least it wasn't until the corporatists took over.

Unless there are big rabbits pulled out of hats with A'town locals, it's going to be a reduced capacity Casement, of 25,000. Clones holds significantly more at present, but is far from all-seater. I was able to take the family to the final last weekend for €52, which was good value. That won't be the case in Casement, if they're are to exceed or come close to the revenue taken last weekend.

It's all about the money. The club/parish/county ethos is being scrapped. .

Did this not happen years ago, regardless of a 'new' casement? I think any judgement should be reserved until it is built and can showcase what it can offer.

Walter Cronc

Can anyone outline the current stage we are at without trawling through previous pages.

Is it back with the design team to come up with a more 'suitable' capacity?

Bingo

New design been submitted, here is an artists impression with new driving force behind the project.

culchie11

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2015, 06:57:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2015, 10:03:57 PM

The comparison is with Clones. I've been to big games at Casement. Little or no atmosphere around the ground. I don't see how a new stadium will change this.

I think u r being a tad biased towards clones, it is a cul de sac for everyone, sitting in queues after games. Casement is close to the motorway and accessible to train stations also.

U say casement and the surrounding area has no atmosphere on match day, I beg to differ, u obviously weren't present on say the day antrim beat down after not winning champ game in years or the two games against derry when Tohill saved a 45 from sheeny mcquillan! Andy town was bouncing them days and I could add more.

Seen ur man on talking about it being a big piggy bank for the gaa and it would do nothing for the local businesses that's like saying the rose of Tralee brings no trade to tralee!!

ck

Clones is an awful hole of a town and no place for a large stadium. Two and a half narrow roads into it means traffic chaos. The only reason it is associated with big games atmospheres is cos it gets all the big games like Ulster finals!
I travel to Belfast regularly and the potential of big games at Casement is very exciting with the new stadium. The infrastructure is miles ahead of Clones village and will inevitably become the home of Ulster football I'd say

Syferus

Quote from: ck on July 24, 2015, 11:56:34 PM
Clones is an awful hole of a town and no place for a large stadium. Two and a half narrow roads into it means traffic chaos. The only reason it is associated with big games atmospheres is cos it gets all the big games like Ulster finals!
I travel to Belfast regularly and the potential of big games at Casement is very exciting with the new stadium. The infrastructure is miles ahead of Clones village and will inevitably become the home of Ulster football I'd say

Casement is far too removed from being central to get a lot of big games.

rrhf