Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: 6th sam on July 18, 2015, 08:44:01 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 17, 2015, 10:34:41 PM
As far as I can see, the only work carried out was Antrim GAA scrapping every bit of wood and metal they could. I don't think Heron Buckingham have lifted a finger yet.

While I totally appreciate residents concerns and the position of social club members, I have two questions for you, hard station.
1. For a man consumed with the safety risks in a brand new casement, and having aggressively articulated your perception that the ulster council and Antrim GAA are grossly incompetent , how on earth can u justify suggesting that the GAA continue to host games in an already rundown casement, which would also be a building site???
2. Surely given your concerns re aesthetics and the environment in a brand new casement, how can u criticise the GAA for recycling the old stadium???

With due respect HArdstation surely it's time for you to reflect on your overtly partisan approach, as you are rapidly losing credibility and thereby jeopardising the credibility of the very legitimate concerns re safety, and impact on residents

Hmmm, that's a bit of a mad post there Ted. No valid points atall.

Given recent attendances in Casement, it was completely feasible to play games there until physically impossible. Even at least until construction had started. Maybe there was some kind of legal bind that no games were allowed for insurance reasons but surely that could have been negotiated. What a waste of a good surface and a good example of short-sightedness.

Recycling? Ahem.

As for HS and his approach, I'd say it's quite the opposite. I had doubts about many issues and suspicions surrounding the residents and the social club but he has always knowledgeably and articulately dealt with them, alongside a few expletives and Hardstationisms.

If you look though this thread, 92.7% of posts are either ill-informed or inaccurate speculation.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

6th sam

A direct comparison to Croke park is not valid on many levels eg 20 years ago, different jurisdiction, stadium refurbishment v replacement . I understood that One of the reasons for upgrading casement was around safety concerns. Any attempt to continue games in casement therefore would have been high risk. Failure to accept the validity of that fact is bizarre. Again making the old stadium available for  recycling has benefitted many clubs as well as presumably generating finance.
I don't know anyone in Antrim GAA , and my only agenda is that we have an appropriate provincial stadium, within the budget provided. I have a limited knowledge of the specifics of the project, but I accept that the aesthetic, environmental , safety and social issues involved have all to be respected. However , the aggressive and personalised approach of some posters, may only serve to undermine genuine arguments, and to be fair , betray a sense that only a much smaller stadium (ie comparable to other county grounds) will be tolerated. This does not however meet the requirements of the provincial stadium for which the GAA are due to receive the stormont funding. I think that many are missing this crucial point , ie either an appropriately sized and safe provincial stadium can be provided on the Casement site, or another site will have to be sought. In the event of a move away from casement ( which would have a detrimental effect on Belfast GAA) , the future of the derilect casement is another debate altogether , but I again reiterate that a more compact eg 20,000 capacity stadium does not meet the provincial stadium requirement and therefore will not receive GAA backing or stormont funding.

Milltown Row2

They stopped playing at Casement because they didn't want to pay the insurance and rates as they thought that the pitch was going to be built the following year 😁.....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

As I have said before I don't know the specifics of the casement saga. I have no association with the Antrim county board or the Ulster council. I have absolutely no vested interest in the casement project going ahead, my motivation for having any interest in this saga, is a desire for a provincial stadium to host our games in comfort and safety for the next 50 years+. Casement seemed like the best alternative originally. Apart from the boost to Belfast , Antrim and ulster gaa , the economic boost from £70m+ initial investment, and subsequent spinoff from major games and concerts over many years, would be a long overdue stimulus to an area deprived of economic investment for far too long. Though I can understand the right of safety experts, residents and social club members to express their concerns, it needs to be established very quickly if Casement is feasible, if not other avenues should be pursued. My perception, as an outsider, is that though there are genuine concerns From many, there is also an antagonism from some which makes me think that no matter what steps are taken to address those genuine concerns, there will always be something else flagged up. Regrettably , I feel a provincial stadium in casement is turning out to be unworkable

armaghniac

As I recall there was some issue in Casement which led to part of the stand being closed for a game a couple of years ago. But whatever about this Casement could have been opened for Antrim games, which are not overcrowded.

Still despite the delay, Casement will likely be built long before any county in Ulster gets a 6th Sam.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

6th sam

Quote from: hardstation on July 18, 2015, 07:56:09 PM
Fair enough.

I should be talking to a few fellas later who I think will know the craic about Casement being deemed an unsafe stadium and therefore closed down and ripped apart. I'm shocked I've never heard anyone mention it before.

Common sense would indicate that as with all decaying stadia , future safety concerns are among the reasons for refurbishment. I like armaghniac can recall an issue with the stand a number of years ago. The fact that an offthecuff remark made by myself, a poster with no connection with any of the parties, and no insider knowledge of the casement project has HS running about on a Saturday night looking for evidence of an historical safety report on the old Casement , displays either an unhealthy paranoia or healthy sense of humour! As a Gael wanting to see a provincial stadium of which we can all be proud, and having a desire to see investment in West Belfast, I am trying to give an objective opinion. The usual emotive and reactionary response and inability to reflect , reinforces my concern that such intransigence may ultimately make Casement as a provincial stadium unachievable. As I have said before many of the concerns are valid, so if they can't be resolved satisfactorily then perhaps , sadly, it is time to move on.

Tony Baloney

You have filled some pages with your posts on the topic 6th Sam. Impressive commitment for someone with no vested interest.

macdanger2

Fair play 6th sam, nice to hear from a completely unbiased source

6th sam

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 19, 2015, 01:15:15 AM
Fair play 6th sam, nice to hear from a completely unbiased source

Confirmation of my fears.
Any argument which encourages either safe progression of the Casement project , or building elsewhere is treated with suspicion/paranoia. My "commitment" is purely a desire for our games to be hosted in a state of the art stadium of which we can be proud, and hopefully bring in income and allow us to promote our games. Good luck to the Ifa and ulster rugby who have already upgraded, while we are still no further on. As I have said many times, I respect and indeed admire those who have fought their corner regarding their concerns re safety, residential and social concerns, all I am saying is that there needs to be a degree of reflection and honesty. Is casement as a provincial stadium workable. If it is, address concerns in a mature , workmanlike but time defined manner. If a combination of poor relationships, insurmountable construction/safety challenges, and an anti-GAA  attitude make it unworkable then let the parties move on quickly to look at other alternatives. Again, I reiterate that I have no insider knowledge, no axe to grind, and no meaningful connection with any of the parties involved. Is it impossible to believe that there are Gaels out there , who just want a long overdue provincial stadium built, to engender a sense of pride and self-confidence which we see with Croke park and more recently and locally Kingspan Ravenhill. Hopefully those negotiating on the ground are more objective than some on this board.

6th sam

Quote from: 6th sam on July 18, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
I understood that One of the reasons for upgrading casement was around safety concerns.

Just to clarify presumably you are referring to my stating what my understanding was from reading newspaper reports and talking to fellow gaels, and personal experience of attending casement,  as per above , makes me a liar. On the one hand , posters insinuate that I have insider knowledge/vested interest, on the other hand I am being personally insulted for having an opinion not backed up by in depth knowledge of the situation. I am an ulster Gael ambitious for the future, merely stating an opinion. I apologise if I have hit a raw nerve. Some posters it appears, wanted a tidy 20-25k capacity upgrade to casement, which would probably have got through planning easier. However 70m+ stormont & GAA funding is not available for upgrading one county's intercounty venue.

DuffleKing

In fairness HS played a blinder... He gave you enough rope to hang yourself on your original bluff when he knew all along you were spoofing.

theskull1

How many would describe themselves a provincial Gael anyway? That sounded so weird to me.

As a passionate hurling man, the thought of enduring county finals in an echoy, empty state of the art all seater stadium sends shivers through me.

We've been sold a pup all for the greater good of Ulster Gaels
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

trileacman

Glad to see Casement boarded up. dour, unfriendly **** of a place.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.