Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Bo Man on December 19, 2014, 08:34:35 AM
The residents in and around this stadium have no interest in Casement Park being  This was a victory for the SDLP in west Belfast. These great west belfast Irish men and women will return to what they do best. Watching the English premiership. Ulster GAA should submit a new planning application for a 60,000 seat stadium the next time around.

Note to self, problems with application for a 38k seater  ::)

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: babarino on December 19, 2014, 09:20:17 AM
There's an air of desperation about the repeated claim in the media, that the Irish RWC bid is in jeopardy because of the scuppered plans...as if this one-off event is a major deciding factor.

Also highly suspicious of reports of Social housing developments sniffing around being reported in the local Daily Star.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: babarino on December 19, 2014, 09:20:17 AM
There's an air of desperation about the repeated claim in the media, that the Irish RWC bid is in jeopardy because of the scuppered plans...as if this one-off event is a major deciding factor.

I think deep down people know that getting things done in all of Ireland can be a bit of a ball ache. 2023 may seem a long way away but it will be here before you know it. On the GAA side of things for the bid to be successfull we are looking at a new GAA stadium in Belfast wherever that may or may not be the new Pairc ui Chaoimh and the modernising of about 4 other GAA grounds and obviously Croke for the semis and final. We all know about Casement. The Pairc ui Chaoimh revamp has been talked about for years and seriously discussed for at least 6 but like Casement has been delayed again and again you can either blame residents and the save the Marina Park crowd or you can blame incompetent or greedy GAA or more to the point Frank Murphy, take your pick. Work is due to start next year but Im not saying anything until I see the diggers in. I can expect similar problems in all the other grounds be it light, asbestos, knotweed, endangerd species, traffic, noise, themmuns get everythin we get nahim brigade, ebola. The new Aviva had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get built hence the ridiculoulsy low stand at one end for lighting issues. Even Ravenhill wasnt without its problems I can remember one resident being concerned that everyone would be looking through his windows and not watching the rugby as if and also the old stand allegedly housed bats so couldnt be touched until the bats conveniently disappeared or maybe never even existed in the first place. I think all in all the time it will take us to get organised a bid in 2123 is more likely.

babarino

It's all duck or no dinner for the backers of the development plan as it stands. (while what was there is supposed to be rubble)

A 25,000-capacity stadium, wouldn't be adequate for Ulster Finals, but it would be more than adequate for County Antrim needs and all matches currently played within the province of Ulster apart from the football final.

It would also make Casement the biggest seated stadium in Belfast and Ulster, with far more crowd capacity than the refurbished Windsor Park (soccer) or Ravenhill Road (rugby). That should be more than adequate for Ireland's bid for the Rugby World Cup, as if that's a clincher.

Has anybody a current picture of Casement?

Tony Baloney

Could they get single-farm payment? They are able to bale it so maybe we will see cattle and shep being herded up the Andytown Road for grazing.

cockahoop

between social club memebers and residents the casement project has continually run up against a brick wall,as i have said before if these people are so blind sided to realise the regeneration this would create in the area its not worth the trouble,as i have said before let the place rot for a few years and become a local hang out spot for the druggies and the rats and the local residents will soon change there tune.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: babarino on December 19, 2014, 10:26:12 AM
It's all duck or no dinner for the backers of the development plan as it stands. (while what was there is supposed to be rubble)

A 25,000-capacity stadium, wouldn't be adequate for Ulster Finals, but it would be more than adequate for County Antrim needs and all matches currently played within the province of Ulster apart from the football final.

It would also make Casement the biggest seated stadium in Belfast and Ulster, with far more crowd capacity than the refurbished Windsor Park (soccer) or Ravenhill Road (rugby). That should be more than adequate for Ireland's bid for the Rugby World Cup, as if that's a clincher.

Has anybody a current picture of Casement?

Im sure this has been answered before but why can they not dig down to reduce the height?

Ulick

Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2014, 08:10:05 AM
How could Casement have saved St Teresa's social club? You've lost the run of yourself.

Posh -  ;D

If that's what I had said, maybe, but as it's not, well, I wouldn't have thought so.

WeeDonns

Are these recent? I thought they had auctioned off all the stuff that could be used elsewhere? Who got the lights?

Ulick

Quote from: hardstation on December 19, 2014, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: Ulick on December 19, 2014, 11:52:42 AM
The water table is too high.
Really? I'm almost certain that the residents were told that this wasn't the case.

Btw, stop trying to blame the residents on the current struggles that clubs are suffering. It's nonsense and you know that.

I did not do that, "and you know that". I suggested that the Casement development would be a shot in the arm of the GAA city wide in Belfast - where many clubs are struggling - and it would. For some reason you and O'Neill, have taken that as criticism of the residents goups and taken personal offence. Why you two have appointed youselves Gaaboard spokeswomen for these groups I can't begin to fathom, but for fucks sake there's no need for the righteous indignation at every turn.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: WeeDonns on December 19, 2014, 12:44:53 PM

Are these recent? I thought they had auctioned off all the stuff that could be used elsewhere? Who got the lights?
The lights are still up AFAIK
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

illdecide

Quote from: Ulick on December 19, 2014, 11:52:42 AM
The water table is too high.

I wouldn't have thought so Ulick. There are houses behind Casement that are much lower as well as the whole ground falls to M1 so you can rule the water table out.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Applesisapples

Quote from: rionach 4 on December 18, 2014, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on December 18, 2014, 04:23:54 PM
I don't see anything in the judgement ruling out a 36,000 capacity. The DoE just have to do the impact assessments properly based on that figure against the numbers who have been attending matches in Casement in recent years. When the assessments are complete the GAA will have to address any issues arising. That's the process.
If the residents remain unhappy after another decision to approve has been issued they can go for another JR and so on we go!
At last someone who seems to know what they are talking about.. If the planning concerns are addressed and the go ahead is given the residents of course have the right to a judicial review. But that may or may not be granted . Their case has to go back before the judge and he will decide whether or not their case is strong enough to grant them a JR. If not the stadium goes ahead with planning issues addressed  If he thinks their case is still strong enough then and only then  he will grant them a JR .
No no one has a right to a JR. You must seek leave, leave will only be granted if you can show the Judge at the leave hearing tha you have grounds for the JR. If the process is completed again and all the grounds from the current one addressed then there is little likelihood of a new JR.

Applesisapples

Quote from: paddyo1 on December 18, 2014, 11:25:00 PM
I,m confused, the GAA have said that they have fully complied with planners all along,yet we have arrived at this ridiculous situation. Don't know who the architects are but they're laughing all the way to the credit union!
The JR was not taken against the GAA but the department. The GAA did comply with what was requested it was the planners who did not set in place the necessary impact assessments and environmental reports.