Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 16, 2014, 09:56:52 PM
From what i gather today in at work from a person living a street over, the main focus was on 6 houses intitally which i think the GAA tried to buy. 2 would sell, the other 4 were older people who always lived there and were not interested in moving. Some residents think they won the case but the majority in the area accept a stadium of around 30k will probably be built, I think it was down to an issue of right to light and the shadow from the new stadium would have their houses in permanent shade.

In a normal place, where a civic amenity was being built, the city authorities would just CPO the houses, pay a generous fee for them and build the stadium.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2014, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
Even supporters of the new stadium must admit this was an incompetent fcuk-up.

No effective environmental assessment
No effective safety issue assessment
No traffic impact assessment
No planning rights for the new capacity
DoE incompetence.

Was this an A Level project?

The shocking thing is that the DOE did not set out the need for these things back at the beginning. It is fair to criticise the GAA in some respects, but they did what the DOE asked, expecting them to anticipate that the DOE were not doing their job is asking a lot.

What was also interesting was that judge left it open that the failure to inform the minister of the PSNI's concerns may have been deliberate. OK - benefit of the doubt is that it was accidental but as he said himself it left the whole process 'irretrievably flawed'.

RRHF, you say this debacle is another example of 'our wee place' blocking forward thinking. I thinking it's another example of our wee place bumbling about with projects that would be expertly and prefessionally handled elsewhere.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2014, 10:30:06 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 16, 2014, 09:56:52 PM
From what i gather today in at work from a person living a street over, the main focus was on 6 houses intitally which i think the GAA tried to buy. 2 would sell, the other 4 were older people who always lived there and were not interested in moving. Some residents think they won the case but the majority in the area accept a stadium of around 30k will probably be built, I think it was down to an issue of right to light and the shadow from the new stadium would have their houses in permanent shade.

In a normal place, where a civic amenity was being built, the city authorities would just CPO the houses, pay a generous fee for them and build the stadium.

The figures quoted that will be wasted if the project doesn't happen is 7 million and rising. That would have bought a fair number of houses in the area

theticklemister

Feck the money, feck buying the houses; it is about the people living in the area for a number of years standing up to the GAA. By God they are doing a great job in doing so; and if the inadequate work of Mark Durkan can help: then all the better.

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2014, 10:31:56 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 16, 2014, 09:49:02 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2014, 09:37:58 PM
Even supporters of the new stadium must admit this was an incompetent fcuk-up.

No effective environmental assessment
No effective safety issue assessment
No traffic impact assessment
No planning rights for the new capacity
DoE incompetence.

Was this an A Level project?

The shocking thing is that the DOE did not set out the need for these things back at the beginning. It is fair to criticise the GAA in some respects, but they did what the DOE asked, expecting them to anticipate that the DOE were not doing their job is asking a lot.

What was also interesting was that judge left it open that the failure to inform the minister of the PSNI's concerns may have been deliberate. OK - benefit of the doubt is that it was accidental but as he said himself it left the whole process 'irretrievably flawed'.

RRHF, you say this debacle is another example of 'our wee place' blocking forward thinking. I thinking it's another example of our wee place bumbling about with projects that would be expertly and prefessionally handled elsewhere.
The opposition wouldnt have the voice elsewhere.  Give me a precedent on one stadium development prevented by 6 houses(as right as we may feel they are) 

Wildweasel74

It was initially 6 houses, i think more has fallen under the scope after concerns from residents, not sure how this will progress but i have a feeling the bid for the world cup and not the gaa need for a stadium will come to bear and a stadium of some form will be built

JPGJOHNNYG

Just out of interest has anyone seen the size of the new proposed Liverpool stand that will affect lots of local residents, it makes casement look like a bungalow. I wonder if that one gets the green light or not, er of course it will.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 16, 2014, 11:14:54 PM
Just out of interest has anyone seen the size of the new proposed Liverpool stand that will affect lots of local residents, it makes casement look like a bungalow. I wonder if that one gets the green light or not, er of course it will.

That new liverpool stand is an ugly as piece of Architecture as I've ever seen! The one decent thing that might emerge from the casement c*ck up is that uncovered section might finally get the boot. I'd love the brains trust to explain that one to me, uncovered seats in Belfast?? Clowns!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 17, 2014, 07:10:42 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 16, 2014, 11:14:54 PM

That new liverpool stand is an ugly as piece of Architecture as I've ever seen! The one decent thing that might emerge from the casement c*ck up is that uncovered section might finally get the boot. I'd love the brains trust to explain that one to me, uncovered seats in Belfast?? Clowns!

Thats GAA design for you. Gaelic grounds was redeveloped a few years back without a roof. Pairc ui Chaoimh is having 70 million thrown at it and the 2 end terraces will barely be touched. The GAA must think this global warming is about to kick in.

orangeman

Has anyone come up with an estimate for the consequential costs of this decision ?

It will run into a few million at least. Christmas has indeed come early for the contractors.

DennistheMenace

So is today D Day for Casement? When are we likely to find out?

rrhf

My gut feeling is that it will not happen now. 
Speaking as an Ulster Gael who has no vested interest in this except for the GAA,  I fear it will leave Antrim GAA in disarray and with a poor future, and thats not good for the GAA in Belfast.
Ulster GAA will have to find an alternative plan for the "stadium of light."- several other counties including Tyrone may come into focus.   
I was certainly not a fan of this at the start, and selfishly but understandably wanted more money to come into Tyrone who were getting fcuk all for our wonderful progressive (yet ironically similarly much criticised) Garvaghey project at the start, but I like many came to be convinced of the greater good for Ulster GAA and West Belfast particularly at a time when it seems the entire development plan for the future of Belfast is focussed on the East of the city and can see the huge benefits for having the stadium here.  It kept the main stadium in Belfast in the West. I honestly think that the way the city is moving in 20 years time you will still see the impact of this as a confident wealthy Belfast by the docklands and the western outskirts being a drive by, there will be absolutely no reason to go there anymore.    Ill openly admit I don't have property in the area or connections like the vociferous others on here and maybe thats their right not to admit that, and now they have won their case they must be very happy with themselves. If they are GAA sorts at all they will deep down feel that this was not really a win for anyone.  We have been told they are they are so I expect their relief is tempered with sadness. 

BennyCake

I think an upgrade of a stadium in Armagh/Tyrone is best, but can't see a brand new stadium being built. When was the last time a GAA stadium was built from scratch? I don't remember any.

yellowcard

Gut feeling is that a slightly scaled down modified version of the original plan will be agreed upon. To be honest I'm not sure there is a need for 38,000 seater stadium anyway. Nothing worse than a quarter full stadium with no atmosphere. It would be full once a year for an Ulster final and hard to justify the increase in capacity on that basis.   

NAG1

Quote from: BennyCake on December 17, 2014, 10:57:35 AM
I think an upgrade of a stadium in Armagh/Tyrone is best, but can't see a brand new stadium being built. When was the last time a GAA stadium was built from scratch? I don't remember any.

Has no one been paying attention to the this the whole way through.

Ziggy said it earlier, this money has been ring fenced for Casement. It cannot and will not be directed to another project anywhere else.

Its Casement of bust I'm afraid.