Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

I think o Neill regardless of the rights and wrongs of the needle group in terms of their attitude to planning, this decision does not say that or otherwise.

theskull1

It is certainly saying that the opinions voiced by the residents are valid ones that need to be addressed.

On the subject of a large state of the art stadium...how many staff would be needed to look after it never mind the extra needed for stewarting a couple of times a year? That's no going to be voluntary effort?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gizzy15

Quote from: theskull1 on December 16, 2014, 08:22:52 AM
It is certainly saying that the opinions voiced by the residents are valid ones that need to be addressed.

On the subject of a large state of the art stadium...how many staff would be needed to look after it never mind the extra needed for stewarting a couple of times a year? That's no going to be voluntary effort?

we all know how this will change, unlike Casement as it was there will not be a county board running matters involving the ground, this will be changed to a full time Stadium/ Events officer, stewarding by 40 guys in high vis jackets for the price of a pint will change to a large contract with on of these Event security firms like the Odyssey, catering and Bar facilities will also be outsourced to an existing big company like that at Ravenhill (Mount Charles I think). money will be going out in all directions except for that of the clubs in Antrim. I just hope something can be resolved that suits all parties but I cant see what that would be.

I also find it hard watching our county players wishing for the development with hopes of playing their future games in this new stadium. maybe im wrong in thinking this but Antrim in its current position would be lucky to play one game a year in it. I say this because the business case would make it not viable to open the ground for small attendances and all national league games and hurling championship games Antrim would be involved in would be in this bracket.

DennistheMenace

Antrim had roughly 7k at their last Championship match in Casement. White elephant if it went ahead.

Gizzy15

Quote from: DennistheMenace on December 16, 2014, 09:27:49 AM
Antrim had roughly 7k at their last Championship match in Casement. White elephant if it went ahead.

but One Direction and Ed Sheran can pull in 30,000 not to mention Garth Brooks lol ;D but that's not what its for, how dare I.

Bingo

If people think Casement was ever just about GAA matches and the attendance at those, they may go again and I'm sure that's been said here over and over again.

Casement was a mini croker in a capital city, not just an additional 2/3 concerts a year but also premium level corporate facilities that are used 7 days a week not just on match days. Just look at Croke Park and how it is used, its not just a venue, its a working building on so many fronts - GAA Muesem, Skywalk, stadium tours and then their is the whole conference set up.

Casement, while not at the level of Croke Park, was to go that route and that will only work in a large urban setting like Belfast. Its not going to work in Clones, Dungannon or anywhere else.

bannside

The difference Dennis the menace is that if Antrim Football ever gets its act together, starts fulfilling it's potential, it is the one county who actually fill 30k plus. Albeit there are a few major ifs and buts there.

As a tiny example - St Brigids under 16's were within an inch of the posts of bringing the Ulster U-16 championship back to Antrim for the third time in four years, losing out to an exceptional Burren team who expect three or four future Down footballers from their squad. That's just one example of the talent pool that exists.

A new stadium (don't care what size it is) with could help trigger a massive GAA reaction that could lead to Antrim making a breakthrough which would be a big shot in the arm for the GAA in Ulster as a whole. There is no doubt Antrim are a sleeping giant that is still enduring a hangover from the troubles.

In case anyone thinks that's a bit fanciful I would like to remind you that pre troubles (1969/70 etc) we were winning Hoganstand and Mc Rorys with different schools, playing and winning All - Ireland under 21 finals and getting within a whisker if the great Down teams of that era who won Sam.

That's where we were at that point and make no mistake with the correct structures on and off the pitch that's where we can return to.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Bingo on December 16, 2014, 09:43:38 AM
If people think Casement was ever just about GAA matches and the attendance at those, they may go again and I'm sure that's been said here over and over again.

Casement was a mini croker in a capital city, not just an additional 2/3 concerts a year but also premium level corporate facilities that are used 7 days a week not just on match days. Just look at Croke Park and how it is used, its not just a venue, its a working building on so many fronts - GAA Muesem, Skywalk, stadium tours and then their is the whole conference set up.

Casement, while not at the level of Croke Park, was to go that route and that will only work in a large urban setting like Belfast. Its not going to work in Clones, Dungannon or anywhere else.

Cant disagree with any of that. If Casement doesnt happen though there are not many other sites in Belfast that the GAA could look at. Some here have mentioned Musgrave park but I cant see that being allowed, on other blogs some have metioned the North foreshore or even the Titanic quarter which are ideal for the concert and conference side of things and maybe even the big GAA games but not exactly ideal for the routine Antrim GAA side of things

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2014, 09:43:56 AM
The difference Dennis the menace is that if Antrim Football ever gets its act together, starts fulfilling it's potential, it is the one county who actually fill 30k plus. Albeit there are a few major ifs and buts there.

As a tiny example - St Brigids under 16's were within an inch of the posts of bringing the Ulster U-16 championship back to Antrim for the third time in four years, losing out to an exceptional Burren team who expect three or four future Down footballers from their squad. That's just one example of the talent pool that exists.

A new stadium (don't care what size it is) with could help trigger a massive GAA reaction that could lead to Antrim making a breakthrough which would be a big shot in the arm for the GAA in Ulster as a whole. There is no doubt Antrim are a sleeping giant that is still enduring a hangover from the troubles.

In case anyone thinks that's a bit fanciful I would like to remind you that pre troubles (1969/70 etc) we were winning Hoganstand and Mc Rorys with different schools, playing and winning All - Ireland under 21 finals and getting within a whisker if the great Down teams of that era who won Sam.

That's where we were at that point and make no mistake with the correct structures on and off the pitch that's where we can return to.

Antrim is a sleeping giant but still too many locals more interested in Celtic, Man U and Liverpool!

Bensars

Quote from: bannside on December 16, 2014, 09:43:56 AM

Thats a stretch by anyones imagination-  Lucky to get 30k combined at Ulster finals between 2 well supported counties

Antrims revival and the approval of the Casement project based on a losing u-16 team  ??

A new stadium may stimulate interest, but the result or effect of it on the rest of Ulster  may not even be noticed. In fact playing games in 35,000 stadium with 5-10,000 people in it would have a negitive effect on the occassion IMO.It would be like a game behind closed doors

Romantic to say the least.That was 50 years ago and a stadium will not produce successful youth teams. In the 80's Maghera were winning all around them on a much more regular occurance, why not move it to south Derry and rename it after Adrain McGuckin

The stuctures you talk of are already in place in many other couties without the Stadia in place. The Casement redevelopment refusal should have no impact on a structure that should have been implemented years ago anyway.

bannside

Belfast is the capital of the North and the GAA has a duty to provide modern facilities in ireland second largest city.

IF Antrim could get a successful run going it would have the potential of generating thousands of first generation GAA interest and open up a  whole new target market.

The U-16 example was just that. A clear example that at age 16 we are producing players of a high quality in that will stand up in comparison with their peers. The challenge in Antrim is maintaining that. I never based the proposal of a multi million pound stadium on this fact - simply used it to highlight the fact that we have a talent pool that could produce serious Antrim senior teams in the future that would in turn bring out potentially large crowds!

Finally Benson you should note that I qualified my post by saying I don't care what size the stadium is (what's wrong with the 15k Kingspan example) so decent sized crowds there would indeed create a good atmosphere.   At the minute I would gladly settle for something along the lines of Kingspan.

culchie11

Bannside i love ur optimism!

a new stadium would be a great starting block to promote gaa to all in antrim, i hope that something happens shortly to make this happen.

The only ones who have come out of the whole thing any better off are the social club members!

they are still getting to drink their pints in a relocated temporary bar. the whole thing stinks, yes the minister was hasty in his part, the residents say they would be happy with a smaller stadium but i think not.
they will still want a say in what happens regardless & a few quid thrown in for good measure.

sure look at what happened when belfast got money for new pitches around the city, the locals complained that falls park would lose its identity if they made 3g pitches in it. some people are never happy. not much care for casements identity today!!

Bensars

What i find difficult is the Belfast Me me me syndrome.  This is Ulster GAA, not just Belfast or Antrim. The proposed development should be for the betterment of all GAA family throughout the province.

Antrim did have a successful run a few years ago when they reached a Ulster final.

Antrim have always had high quality underage teams ( hardly suprising given the numbers available to them), so where does the problem arise ?  This hasnt produced as you described " serious Antrim Senior teams that would bring out potentially large crowds".
Why has it not happened before ?

I appreciate your  romantic notion of the field of Dreams effect,  stimulating interest, increasing numbers, producing better teams and have the crowds will come.

Antrims lack of success and failure to develop runs much deeper than a piece of concrete on the Anderstown Road.

Next question.............why not have it it Down, Armagh etc  within a close enough commute  for all three neighbouring counties ?

cockahoop

IMO they should let it rot for a couple of years and let the rats and druggies take it over and the few residents who are trying to stop the development will be begging the GAA to come back!!

Applesisapples

The GAA is under no obligations to Antrim or the false Gaels of West Belfast. Gregory was peeing in his curried yoghourt at the mess created for nationalists by nationalists. There is no need for another 25,000 stadium so if the Westies don't want the cash take it up the motorway to a green field site where a 38,000 stadium can be built. Mind you Mark H Durkan must be the most inept minister around, no wonder the stoops are in trouble. That said CarĂ¡l is not far behind.