Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on December 15, 2014, 12:55:58 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 15, 2014, 10:38:01 AM
Denied, very surprised by the decision. Looks like Andytown is getting a big Tescos
That's disappointing. Are the plans for the abattoir or the traveller housing scheme definitely scrapped?
Offenders centre and wet hostel instead.

Like the A5 before it, how can these major capital projects go so wrong after spending hundreds of thousands on advisors and consultants? Will any of these consultants be offering their money back?

WeeDonns

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 15, 2014, 01:33:45 PM
Like the A5 before it, how can these major capital projects go so wrong after spending hundreds of thousands on advisors and consultants? Will any of these consultants be offering their money back?
Why the hell would they?

DennistheMenace

Have we heard why it was deemed unlawful?

That's a big blow for the majority in the West.

DERRYSFINEST

Quote from: hardstation on December 15, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
If there is to be any type of stadium built at Casement, has anyone got any faith in the current Casement Park Project Team to see it through to completion and manage it thereafter? I wouldn't give them a job in the new Tesco ffs.

Who is on this team? Are they all paid employees of the Ulster Council?

armaghniac

This seems to have been a bit of a mess. Apparently the judge said "The judge said: "There was no cogent evidence that it (Casement Park) was ever going to play host to crowds of 20,000 in the future never mind one of 32,600." i.e. the current situation.

There was 27000 at Armagh v Derry in 2005, how did traffic cope that day?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JPGJOHNNYG

Ha ha hardstation in fairness the abattoir line was a joke don't know what the traveller camp is about not me. I thought a 32000 stadium would be a fair compromise but the judge seems to have indicated that this is too much. A smaller capacity and the stadium isn't big enough for Ulster finals or all Ireland QF so another site is becoming a reality, casement will be no more so tescos or new housing is the very likely outcome.

armaghniac

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on December 15, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
Ha ha hardstation in fairness the abattoir line was a joke don't know what the traveller camp is about not me. I thought a 32000 stadium would be a fair compromise but the judge seems to have indicated that this is too much. A smaller capacity and the stadium isn't big enough for Ulster finals or all Ireland QF so another site is becoming a reality, casement will be no more so tescos or new housing is the very likely outcome.

They should just move Windsor Park there.

rrhf

Quote from: hardstation on December 15, 2014, 03:54:00 PM
If there is to be any type of stadium built at Casement, has anyone got any faith in the current Casement Park Project Team to see it through to completion and manage it thereafter? I wouldn't give them a job in the new Tesco ffs.
Stadium blocked due to personality clash?

cluaineois

Since the ulster council now have 17 million to spare why not spend this on an upgrade for Clones. Pressure the Dublin government to improve the road network between Clones and Monaghan [much needed] . Build a scaled down version of Casement with the british government money that would satisfy the locals and meet the needs of Antrim and the I.R.F.U. . We then wouldn't have to pay V.A.T. on the gate receipts for the Ulster final. Everyone a winner. :)
once your a clone your never alone

ONeill

Is it fair to say that this decision puts to bed the accusation (by some) that the whole shenanigans was simply the residents looking for a big pay-off?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on December 15, 2014, 10:31:26 PM
Is it fair to say that this decision puts to bed the accusation (by some) that the whole shenanigans was simply the residents looking for a big pay-off?

It is simple NIMBYism, 100 people blocking a facility to be used by 100,000. The thing is that there is no public support for a public development as might exist in many countries. The city authorities do nothing to facilitate the development, the public transport provider does nothing to respond to possible traffic congestion issues, the interests of people in Tyrone or Armagh who might visit this stadium count for nought.

Wildweasel74

Drop down to 25k keep Belfast happy, and we keep the Ulster final in Clones as 32k ain't big enough, casement will see maybe 2 championship games and 2 qualifier a year, yip value for money indeed. I see they say it been decades since casement has sold out, it would have sold out for all ulster  finals of the past 15yrs but hadn't the capacity, sort would put that argument null and void. I was there the day Derry played down in 1992 and there was 35k there that day, seen seen such a packed crowd, till restrictions on numbers were introduced

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

SkillfulBill

Delighted to see Casement knocked back. Time for Ulster council to rethink a more central location for a new stadium.