Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

But you surely wouldn't argue the GAA should have refused this money and not redevelop?

The Worker

The gaa should have used this money to fund a smaller stadium with a roof which can be used all year round.

Zulu

I'm no expert but would a roof not be way more expensive? Mind you if the GAA were going to build a roofed 25,000 seater type of stadium within Ulster then it should be in South Ulster so it could be used for qualifier games, national club games etc.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

The big mistake was to have it in self pity City. I guarantee you that had some way be found to give the money to redevelop Clones the very same people who are griping about casement would be griping about that

Tony Baloney

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on March 23, 2014, 05:44:33 PM
The big mistake was to have it in self pity City. I guarantee you that had some way be found to give the money to redevelop Clones the very same people who are griping about casement would be griping about that
Would be some stand to cast a shadow over gardens in Andytown.

Wildweasel74

A New Build on a greenfield site probbaly would have been the best option, outside of that a 30k stadium would like be sufficent as outside of an ulster final, this stadium will never run to capacity

T Fearon

Am I missing something here? Couldn't the GAA have developed a new stadium at the Maze,the site moored originally for the "National Stadium" which would have combined soccer,rugby and GAA,but jettisoned owing to strident opposition from NI's non bigoted soccer supporters.

Why didn't the GAA go for this site for a new stadium instead of trying to redevelop Casement in the middle of a residential area? With access extended off the motorway easily and a train halt constructed fairly easily, it would be handier to reach than Casement ever will be,and also with the development of the remaining H Block could have been turned into a complete Irish cultural hub?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on March 23, 2014, 08:00:56 PM
Why didn't the GAA go for this site for a new stadium instead of trying to redevelop Casement in the middle of a residential area? With access extended off the motorway easily and a train halt constructed fairly easily, it would be handier to reach than Casement ever will be,and also with the development of the remaining H Block could have been turned into a complete Irish cultural hub?

This would not have been wise. Associating with GAA with H Blocks would have  unnecessarily played to the gallery who would characterise it as something for only one part of society. Having a giant stadium in the middle of nowhere with giant carparks etc used 3 times a year would be even more of white elephant, a veritable Persil elephant.

QuoteThey would have had to spend a fair portion of the money on the land? They just took Casement Park from Antrim GAA for nothing. Handy.

Considering the use Antrim would get of this resource, it wasn't a bad deal for them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Zulu

armaghniac

Quote from: hardstation on March 23, 2014, 08:34:19 PM
Championship only.

Antrim would barely get 1000 people at league games. They will remain at Creggan & Ballycastle.

Perhaps you should have higher aspirations. Get a team with some spirit, your football U-21s have this anyway, get something going and try and attract a bigger crowd to the comfortable facilities in the new place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on March 23, 2014, 08:00:56 PM
A PR disaster for the GAA to be tied in with the H Blocks. Ridiculous idea.

BennyCake

They should forget about Casement, and put an all-seater stadium in the Athletic Grounds. It's conveniently placed in the middle of Ulster, holds a lot of finals already, and the Ulster Council already hav their offices in Armagh City (don't they?). Makes sense to me. Then, when the railway returns to Armagh (it could happen!) as well, that's another bonus.

If Casement goes ahead, there's going to be ill-feeling in West Belfast for years, and that's not good for the GAA.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

A field. There are loads of fields in outer Dunfcukingannon.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.