Posting a letter from North to South

Started by giveherlong, September 02, 2014, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

If you post a letter with first class stamp in north will that cover it getting to south okay?

T Fearon

No,you need to buy a special stamp costing somewhere in the region of 90p,or post with a normal first class and second class stamp together.

BennyCake

Ridiculous. Strabane to Lifford is 90p, but Strabane to the Orkneys is 53p!

T Fearon

It might take 90p to post to the Orkneys as well, next month! ;D

Aristo 60

In the meantime would it be possible for the good people of Strabane to bring royal mail to its knees by everyone sending 10 pieces of post to various Orkney addresses using recorded mail / next day delivery?

Give it a go!

armaghniac

This is the kind of nonsense that our political "leaders" don't seem to have any policy on.
Of course it costs about 60% to send a letter in the opposite direction.

QuoteIn the meantime would it be possible for the good people of Strabane to bring royal mail to its knees by everyone sending 10 pieces of post to various Orkney addresses using recorded mail / next day delivery?

If Alex Salmond has his way in a fortnight, this will be 97p too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Posting from the north to the south is the same as posting from the north to Spain, Germany, France, Italy etc.  A stamp costs 97p.

CD

Quote from: balladmaker on September 03, 2014, 12:28:59 PM
Posting from the north to the south is the same as posting from the north to Spain, Germany, France, Italy etc.  A stamp costs 97p.

How does anything ever get to its desired destination in the south? I've a brother down there who's address is something like New Bungalow, Ballyshannon, Donegal. That's it!

When do the new postcodes come in??
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

armaghniac

Quote from: CD on September 04, 2014, 07:58:02 PM
How does anything ever get to its desired destination in the south? I've a brother down there who's address is something like New Bungalow, Ballyshannon, Donegal. That's it!

What more do you need, how many new bungalows are in Ballyshannon in this day and age?

When do the new postcodes come in??

Probably never, there're bollix.

anyhow this explains it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By3FPhMHWMo
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyHarp

You are better off just driving down with the letter and handing it to the person yourself.
That was never a square ball!!

macdanger2

In the south, An Post are obliged to deliver your letter without a stamp. However, they have the right to demand payment for postage from the deliveree before handing the letter over.

Pub Bore

I need to do something very 20th century and send something called "a letter" from the North to the South.  It needs to be in Dublin on Thursday.  If i post it in the North today will it be there by Thurs? Brit Mail quote 3-5 working days.  Alternatively I dont live too far from the border could I could nip into the South and use An Post but their website says nothing about how long it will take to get there other than using express post which is guaranteed next day delivery and requires a signature.

Any thoughts/advice/experience of this??

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Pub Bore on December 07, 2015, 11:21:48 AM
I need to do something very 20th century and send something called "a letter" from the North to the South.  It needs to be in Dublin on Thursday.  If i post it in the North today will it be there by Thurs? Brit Mail quote 3-5 working days.  Alternatively I dont live too far from the border could I could nip into the South and use An Post but their website says nothing about how long it will take to get there other than using express post which is guaranteed next day delivery and requires a signature.

Any thoughts/advice/experience of this??

Go across the border and post it in the south. Will be there by thursday if you get it sent today or tomorrow

Billys Boots

An Post have a next day delivery service, but it's my experience that they guarantee nothing.  Ever. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...