The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Until the joe McDonagh though the top end of the Christy ring was very unbalanced. It's only worked for the Antrim's, westmeaths, laois's when the joe McDonagh was brought in.

Sf my point is on lip service, barely, from tv stations to lower tiers. Nothing to say this wouldn't happen to football.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2019, 02:53:54 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 13, 2019, 02:32:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2019, 01:23:39 PM
The Irish times has zero coverage of the Joe McDonagh.

Independent is the only paper that seems to delve into the lower tiers of hurling at all.
I don't think the IT has the money , actually

They have plenty of money. Some of the highest paid journalists in Ireland works with Irish times and guest columnists are well paid for their views also.

Rossfan

Ah sure how would they have time or money for Gah Bogball and Stickball when they're so busy with Ireland's National Sport?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: marty34 on May 13, 2019, 08:53:07 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 13, 2019, 07:59:21 PM
No body cares about the McDonagh Cup, The Nicky Rachard, The Lori Meagher, The Christy Ring. Nobody care about the tiered Womens championships (Senior, Junior and Intermediate).

Only a handful of people attend the semi finals of these competitions. Mostly family, friends and clubmates. Tiering competitions does not make them any more popular. The Ladies Market the finals well and horse out free tickets for a triple header day out.

Using the Ladies game as a good example, is a false flag. The Ladies game has very poor attendances and coverage!

The Joe McDonagh is a super competition - TG4 should be allowed to cover it.
GAA doesn't sell papers, rugby and soccer does I'm afraid.

Of course TG4 don't have the rights
Well done GAA

We need to get some proper forward minded people into HQ soon or there will be nothing left of the GAA as we know it

joemamas

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 13, 2019, 12:59:33 PM
Tomas O Se analysis in Limerick Tipperary was pathetic. Just showed scores and described what was happening. Jesus wept.

He has to be the ultimate bullshit artist of all time and that is saying something.

Did anybody happen by chance to read his "predictions" on RTÉ website this weekend.
If you walked into your local and asked some buck in the corner after a few pints for his opinion, it most likely would have been more Inciteful.

And then to put the icing on the cake , he actually "writes" an article .
Fu*k me.

Tubberman

Quote from: joemamas on May 14, 2019, 03:28:07 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on May 13, 2019, 12:59:33 PM
Tomas O Se analysis in Limerick Tipperary was pathetic. Just showed scores and described what was happening. Jesus wept.

He has to be the ultimate bullshit artist of all time and that is saying something.

Did anybody happen by chance to read his "predictions" on RTÉ website this weekend.
If you walked into your local and asked some buck in the corner after a few pints for his opinion, it most likely would have been more Inciteful.

And then to put the icing on the cake , he actually "writes" an article .
Fu*k me.

It's actually someone from RTE putting together a piece based on what Tomas said on the Morning Ireland sports news - they directly quote what he said.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: marty34 on May 13, 2019, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 13, 2019, 06:57:58 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 13, 2019, 04:59:27 PM
The Joe McDonagh is a great tournament. It's as tight as division 1 of the hurling league where you could go from winning to relegation prospect very quickly.  The GAA have never really cared with the hurling though and how they treat hurling is a solid argument with why football maybe shouldn't be tiered as no one would ever see about half the counties in Ireland playing on tv at all.

It's a real pity because it is really good

But I don't think you can use hurling to argue about football and tiering
Hurling is very much a minority sport in about 2/3 of counties .

Hurling is such a success because it's tirered!  Look at Liam McCarthy and Joe Mc Donagh.  Look at the Christy Ring - teams who are at their own level.  Hurling people bought into the tiered system because they understand their is an opportunity to progress. 

Football counties don't get it.

The thing is, there's no chance for the majority of the people to look at apart from the Liam McCarthy.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

That is in no way different to the football though. In fact at the minute there are probably more teams who could win Liam than Sam.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2019, 06:44:31 AM
The Joe McDonagh is a great tournament. It's as tight as division 1 of the hurling league where you could go from winning to relegation prospect very quickly.  The GAA have never really cared with the hurling though and how they treat hurling is a solid argument with why football maybe shouldn't be tiered as no one would ever see about half the counties in Ireland playing on tv at all.

Hurling is such a success because it's tirered!  Look at Liam McCarthy and Joe Mc Donagh.  Look at the Christy Ring - teams who are at their own level.  Hurling people bought into the tiered system because they understand their is an opportunity to progress. 

The thing is, there's no chance for the majority of the people to look at apart from the Liam McCarthy.

If there was a senior intercounty football match and a top level  hurling match on afterwards and everyone on the Board went to it not many of the football fans would stay on for the hurling. I have seen the phenomenon a few times in real life. People from Cavan or Meath wouldn't typically be interested in hurling.

Football is mass market.   Hurling is not.

If Football is divided into tiers and well promoted people will watch it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

marty34

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2019, 08:04:40 AM

If there was a senior intercounty football match and a top level  hurling match on afterwards and everyone on the Board went to it not many of the football fans would stay on for the hurling. I have seen the phenomenon a few times in real life. People from Cavan or Meath wouldn't typically be interested in hurling.

To market it is the key - ala how not to market the super competition that is the Joe Mc Donagh.

Football needs tiers - simple as.  It would work well if marketed properly i.e. tv coverage.  Hand it over to TG4.

All competitions in each county are senior, intermediate and junior.  Inter-county football should be the same.

Either that or say from 2021 - wherever you finish in league, you go into senior, intermediate or junior championship.

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 08:28:14 AM

To market it is the key - ala how not to market the super competition that is the Joe Mc Donagh.

Football needs tiers - simple as.  It would work well if marketed properly i.e. tv coverage.  Hand it over to TG4.

All competitions in each county are senior, intermediate and junior.  Inter-county football should be the same.

Either that or say from 2021 - wherever you finish in league, you go into senior, intermediate or junior championship.

Fellas will watch any kind of sport
If hungarian soccer was on while the missus was out shopping a lot of punters would watch it
Selling tiered football should be a doddle

It would also mean some teams could make progress instead of losing all the time
Laois and Carlow are good examples of that in the hurling
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

why not one programme with all football? eg at 8pm
another programme with all hurling? at 9:30

LeoMc

Quote from: marty34 on May 14, 2019, 08:28:14 AM

If the All Ireland Intermediate was handed over to TG4 it would get better coverage than RTE gives the Senior championship.

Keyser soze

Players won't even want to play in it let alone people go to watch it, that is the problem with tiering. Joe Brolly wittering on about 3 tiers, I don't imagine that for 1 second Joe is contemplating Derry being in that 3rd tier which is where they would be if it was already introduced. 

imtommygunn

The Tommy Murphy cup wasn't exactly a resounding success either and you would expect that is what a third tier would look like.