The craziest substitutions ever made....

Started by theticklemister, May 07, 2015, 06:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Did Seamus Darby start that day against kerry or come of the bench, think he made the different in the biggest GAA game of all in 82!

BennyCake

Agent Orange

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 07, 2015, 10:00:34 PM

QuoteOn a tar-melting afternoon in June 1993, Brian McEniff's injury-riven All-Ireland champions trailed by three points to Armagh in the closing quarter.
Duffy was warming up and, sensing that the manager was thinking of experience, he remembers saying: "Look, Brian, that game's there to be changed. I think I can do something". McEniff looked at him for a moment; he had known Duffy since the player was about 10 years old. "Right," he said. "You're going in."
He kicked a point with his first possession, then won a free which Tony Boyle converted and, with oxygen all but out, landed a deathless equaliser, an angled left foot shot kicked through a slender gap among converging orange shirts.
"The age of miracles is with us still," was how Paddy Downey began his account of the day in this paper. Donegal survived: Duffy marked his full debut by helping himself to 1-2 from play, the goal a left-foot bullet conjured from nothing.

From memory did the referee, a certain M. Cranney from Down not have more of a bearing on this game? Donegal were dead and buried that day until the ref decided to take matters into his own hands and effect the result.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2015, 10:04:48 PM
Did Seamus Darby start that day against kerry or come of the bench, think he made the different in the biggest GAA game of all in 82!

Darby was a sub. Came on in the 62nd minute.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on May 07, 2015, 11:06:27 PM
Ali Dei, George Weah's "cousin".

And to add to it he came on for Legend Matt Le Tissier!

Agent Orange

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2015, 11:20:28 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2015, 10:04:48 PM

Darby was a sub. Came on in the 62nd minute.

Should have been a free out, blatant push in the back.

Jell 0 Biafra

twohands!!!

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 08, 2015, 01:52:32 AM
Kevin Mc did OK in 2011.

Yeah thought of him last night thinking of recent years.

Came on the 51st minute in the final and at half-time in the semi in 2011

Old article on him as supersub and lists a few other candidates from down the years

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/mcmanamon-ready-to-carry-supersub-burden-for-dublin-29589921.html

The thing is that my main point was that very late subs generally have no chance of making an impact and that managers should be making substitutions earlier in game - basically I'd say a manager should just keep 1 sub or 2 if they are really conservative past the 60 minute mark.

sensethetone

blanketattack

Biggest sub impact in sport must be Sheringham and Solksjaer in 99.

Taffe in 95 final must be one of the best and strangest. Came on as sub, scored winning goal, subbed off.

screenexile

Weirdest substitution I had was managing a Ladies Minor team and we were destroying the other team. I took one of the girls off 10 mins into the 2nd half and she started bawling her eyes out.

I tried to tell her it was because we were stuffing the other team/she would be on the next match etc. etc. but nothing would work.

One of the subs came over and said that her boyfriend was there and she was devastated at being taken off!!! It was the beginning of the end for me in terms of Ladies Football!!

screenexile

Also heard a good one about our Club about 20 years ago.

"Here if you don't start doing something in that full forward line I'm going to take ye off you're giving us nathin"

He surveys the bench which has a severe lack of quality...

"Who are you going to put on?!"

"NOBODY!! AND WE'D STILL BE BETTER OFF!!!!!"

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2015, 07:27:01 PM
I was going to say bringing on Enda Sheedy (ex Dub) for Mayo v Fermanagh in Markieviecz in 2003. But I checked and to my surprise he started the game. Must have been so out of the game that I thought he came on late on in the game. All I remember was he was so out of touch with the pace of the game that day.

I suppose Freeman being taken of in the 2013 Final.

You're getting your Enda Sheehy's mixed up with your Jack Sheedy's.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tonto1888

Quote from: blanketattack on May 07, 2015, 07:09:57 PM
McGeeney, 10 minutes to go in '05 semi-final v Tyrone.

This one still baffles me

general_lee

Never played corner back in my life, always forward my whole career right from underage. That is until one summer's evening we were playing who would become that year's SFC champions..

My first year at senior; including pre-season challenges only about my 3rd or 4th match. Manager calls me off the bench and sends ME on at corner back for the remaining 25 mins to mark a county player no less (of which there were several on the opposing team).

At first I was dumping the trunks. I was built like an empty wetsuit. Us down by 8, I was hardly going to steady the ship.

I thought f**k it, I'll get tore in here whenever the ball is put in and when it's at the other end I'll give this c**k some bad manners and see how things go. Worst thing is it is probably not my lowest moment in football!

To no avail. Queue ball number one played in: point. Ball number two: point. Three: assist. Four: point. etc etc. I would say it was no more than ten minutes before I was back sat where I was 10 mins previous.